Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Shoelaces

• 17 Replies

Ca'tra Firaxan

• Proud procrastinator since 2013
Shoelaces
« on: Oct 23, 2013, 06:12 PM »
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shoelace

In the page linked above, it says that there are shoelaces in Star Wars. However, there aren't 4 canon references. Any additional info on this subject?

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Shoelaces
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Full quoted text:
Fenn Shysa: "Say, Pal, didja know yer shoelaces was untied?"
Stormtrooper: "Gosh, no. Thanks. I guess they must've—hey, waita-minit! Stormtrooper boots don't have laces!"
―A disguised Fenn Shysa tricks an Imperial stormtrooper

Shoelaces were a way to secure a shoe or boot. Stormtrooper boots did not use shoelaces.

I'm confused as to how that proves shoelaces are canon...

Ca'tra Firaxan

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2013, 06:35 PM »
Fenn mentions shoelaces like they are common.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2013, 06:40 PM »
That's not really evidence, unfortunately. Everyone knows what a zombie is and they get mentioned all the time, but no one's ever seen one and all evidence we have shows they don't exist.

Real evidence has to be substantive and can't be speculative or circumstantial.

Ca'tra Firaxan

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Good point on the zombie thing. But still, he acts like it's an everyday item. Would you say, "Oh no, Ca'tra! You forgot your zombie!"?

Ref Al'drann

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2013, 07:18 PM »
It was a weak comparison.  The main thing you should be taking away is the second part:

Real evidence has to be substantive and can't be speculative or circumstantial.

Ca'tra Firaxan

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Right. I guess it would just be easier to make boot armor.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Right. I guess it would just be easier to make boot armor.
Or just use laceless boots, like chelseas...

or tankers (like mine)...

Something a little gothy more to your taste?

Maybe something simple...

Point is, there are plenty of options.  And no, shoelaces aren't canon, as far as I've seen.

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Every canon reference of anyone in star wars has lace less shoes from what we see, we're going by what is scene and that's pretty much it. As Echo said there are many alternatives that work great for lace less boots. ;)

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Ca'tra Firaxan

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2013, 11:05 PM »
Thanks for the info. Chelsea boots are nice but expensive.

K'raam Xrati

• Mark Hamilton the Red Mando, TB & DZ3203
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2013, 07:17 PM »
I understand this inquiry!

I think the shoelace reference is just bad writing. If not, shoelaces have to exist in the SW universe (even if it's just in legend like our vampires or zombies).

I have heard the term "Earthquake" used in some other Sci-Fi writings. That being used when a planet, not Earth, is having a quake. I can't quite remember where I've heard the mistake, most likely on Star Trek. That is an example of bad writing.

What we are doing here is trying to translate writing to suit a certain rule. It's very similar to when ones try to find further meaning in the Bible. Not to get into a religious conversation but there is a passage that says "upon thy belly shalt thou go" referring to a snake being cursed. Some have translated this as meaning snakes HAD legs, then was cursed and now has to slither as a snake does. (please use this just as an example, no religious discussions...)

It's an interesting topic and a cool find!

84 Career Invasions
MMCC #48 Trooping since September 2007
Kilted Mando #4

Ca'tra Firaxan

« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Well, earth can refer to ground. But good points.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2013, 09:02 AM »

Costuming is nice but expensive. :P

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2013, 02:30 PM »

Dealer boots....mine cost about £25GBP

Ca'tra Firaxan

« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2013, 06:01 PM »

« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:56 AM »
So something like that:

...would be appropriate footwear for a Mando?

I was looking at that exact boot before trawling through the sub-forum here to see what others are using. There was those and two other styles that I liked the look of.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:17 PM »
So something like that:

...would be appropriate footwear for a Mando?

I was looking at that exact boot before trawling through the sub-forum here to see what others are using. There was those and two other styles that I liked the look of.
Yep.  I think one of the Mercs in my clan wears a pair of Demonias (or something very similar).

Also, careful with the necroposting.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!