Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Mando Kit - WIP thread

• 15 Replies

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
First Mando Kit - WIP thread
« on: Feb 06, 2012, 03:08 AM »
So I had a planning thread, but it's a few months old and filled with a bunch of ideas that aren't happening at this point.  I was still a big time noob but I'm fairly well read now.

I'll keep this as a thread purely for updates on progress and discussion related to it so it doesn't get too clouded.

My bucket is my first big piece that I'm building, but I'll just link to the WIP thread for that until I get just about finished and keep the detailed updates over there.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=43889.0

As far as soft parts, I have a flight suit, balaclava, and boots with boot socks in the mail.

Here is a test fit shot of me wearing the flight suit, balaclava, and bucket so far.  I put temporary padding in the right places to get the bucket to sit on my head where it needs to be.  I have tons of room on the sides in there, but front to back it still ended up pretty tight.    My nose is not flat at all, and it leaves me with probably only 3/8" free space from the visor (with my nose).  With the padding all in there too hold it in place that will be plenty though.

After I get the bucket sanding to satisfaction it goes on a shelf and I move on.  I don't want to start upper armor pieces until the vest is done, but I'll be ready for all of the lower half as soon as the boots get here.  I want to pick up my belt to work on soon too. 

I also have an old paintball gun that I'm going to totally disassemble and build a pistol out of.  That has to happen before I build my holster onto my hip armor.

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
Re: First Mando Kit - WIP thread
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:34 AM »
It looks good, vod. :) Keep up the great work.

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2012, 03:28 AM »
It looks good, vod. :) Keep up the great work.

Thank you, I have a couple of days off work later this week so I expect to get this bucket pretty much nailed down and start checking out material for a vest.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:13 AM »
Looks like youve done very nice work ont he helmet but, it also looks like the helmet is going to be way to big for you, especially when you put the earcaps on. You're going to be drowning in it.

I say the WIP thread's pix but, didn't read all the text. Was it WoF templates or pep files based on the 1:1 Boba scale helmet? Looking at the helmet on you, Im guessing you are more in the sie range of 1:1 Jango Fett scale.

If you check here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=44842.0 it explains sizing ratios etc. Im guessing you are probably 18"-ish across the shoulders? For a 1:1 Boba Fett scale, you need to be 22" or wider.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Looks like youve done very nice work ont he helmet but, it also looks like the helmet is going to be way to big for you, especially when you put the earcaps on. You're going to be drowning in it.

I say the WIP thread's pix but, didn't read all the text. Was it WoF templates or pep files based on the 1:1 Boba scale helmet? Looking at the helmet on you, Im guessing you are more in the sie range of 1:1 Jango Fett scale.

If you check here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=44842.0 it explains sizing ratios etc. Im guessing you are probably 18"-ish across the shoulders? For a 1:1 Boba Fett scale, you need to be 22" or wider.

This is a WOF scratch without any scaling.

I have an issue though, and that is my head is shaped weird.  This bucket almost doesn't fit me front to back, I have probably only 3/8" room between the visor and my nose, and that is with my pushing my head all the way against the back of the bucket without padding there yet.  I would have to really skew the proportions of the bucket to make it a true fit to my head by squishing in the sides and elongating the back. 

So what am I officially supposed to do here.  I understand the sizing guide, I read through it all.  My issue is that this was the smallest of the WOF proportions that fit my head.  Are the sizing requirements strict enough that I'm just pretty much screwed with wanted a Boba styled bucket?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:53 PM »
Unless there's a medical need for it, yeah pretty much. There is a bit of leeway on sizing. For example, if you went with a heavier, bulkier style of armor that made your shoulder girdle appear wider, it may work. But, stock Fett style armor, it's most likely going to be too big.

As for the sizing, sounds like youre actually pretty well off! Ive made a few of my helmets and intentionally made them about 1/2" deeper than 1:1 scale and my nose touches my visor. In a 1:1, my nose is smooshed against the visor. Not so much as to be uncomfortable but, touching. As for depth, there's not a terrible lot of difference in a 1:1 Boba vs 1:1 Jango. Most of the difference is in width and height.

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:10 PM »
any more progress or are you going a different route ?

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2012, 01:25 PM »
any more progress or are you going a different route ?

I am going to try to stick it out with this bucket and see if I can make it work.  Falin gave me an idea of using some visors in shoulder armor to create an illusion of a wider frame. 

As far as actual progress I hit a bit of a stumbling block.  I was about to start working on cutting armor pieces and other parts with the table engraver but when I went to fire it up I hit a technical snag.  Now I'm working with the manufacturer to repair the machine before I can go forward.

As for the bucket my wife needed her spot back in the garage, so I had to clean up my mess there.  We have two spots but the other half was a mess with stuff.  I cleaned up enough of the other half to set up my 6x6x7 foot temporary paint booth for the reverse purpose.  I'm going to do my sanding and glassing work inside it to contain my mess from now on.  I'll also be able to heat up the smaller volume space much easier for working.

My birthday is tomorrow and then valentines Tues, so I probably won't make that much progress until Wednesday but who knows.  I get motivated at strange hours of the night.

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2012, 01:39 PM »
sucks when life gets in the way of what you really want to do  ;D but good luck on the project and Happy Birthday !!!

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2012, 03:01 PM »
sucks when life gets in the way of what you really want to do  ;D but good luck on the project and Happy Birthday !!!

Thanks, I'm sure both will be great.

The main reason I'm so gung ho about this costume now is that I know there will be big delays, lots of work, and things going wrong.  I really just want it ready by DragonCon, so I have ~8 months.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:35 PM »
it's looking good, Captain. :) And Happy Birthday.  :D

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:33 PM »
it's looking good, Captain. :) And Happy Birthday.  :D

Thanks Jesse, and by the way my name is Dan.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:33 AM »
Well I did end up getting to put a few hours into my bucket last night.  Still haven't added another layer of filler though.  I'm doing a ton of sanding and filing to try to get my shape down to almost right with what I have.  Then the next phase I'm only building up what I really need and I'll have solid lines to follow.

It's starting to look really good though, I'll post a bunch of pictures after I get a lot more to show.  I also got out my real camera to start taking pictures now that I have something worth showing.

I had my real strength test while sanding too.  Apparently I decided to throw my bucket into the concrete floor of the garage while sanding.  Talk about a moment of panic, but it just bounced harmlessly.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:53 AM »
I had my real strength test while sanding too.  Apparently I decided to throw my bucket into the concrete floor of the garage while sanding.  Talk about a moment of panic, but it just bounced harmlessly.
oh my. I bet that was nerve wracking... :o
I'm looking forward to your updates with great interest

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:54 PM »
Ugh...  I hope I can manage to avoid flinging/throwing/dropping mine when I get it...

Buy'ce: 95%
Weapons loadout: 75%
Beskar'gam: 90%
Soft parts: 95%

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:34 PM »
Ugh...  I hope I can manage to avoid flinging/throwing/dropping mine when I get it...

That is the idea, but a bucket covered in sanded filler dust and nitrile gloves don't always provide the most solid grip.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!