Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ru'nan Vel first OM Kit WIP

• 15 Replies

RedBirdXlll

• Worms
Re: Ru'nan Vel first OM Kit WIP
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I made a little bit of progress on my soft parts this weekend! I thought I'd share how I go about making patterns and drawing out mock-up pieces.

I already showed you my drawn out patterns on my mannequin, so here's the process of cutting the pieces off and tracing them out to get the fabric pieces:

1. Cut 'em out!

2. From 3D to flattened pieces following my planned seams

3. Time to trace onto the fabric! I use whatever's laying around for weights - in this case it was an empty cider bottle, 2 glasses, my water bottle, and sewing scissors

This is how I make sure my mock-up seam allowances are identical every time without fail. It's an old cosplay trick taught to me by a friend of mine!

4. Cut out your patterns and sew! I didn't even need to use pins to quickly sew this together because the seam allowances are all consistent so I can just line them up by eye.

The first draft is a little tight and needs some adjustments so I'm working on that now.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!