Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jesse's WIP **#wearable!!**

• 271 Replies

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
Re: Jesse's WIP
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:41 PM »
Thanks, Captain. (I'll need it. :laugh:)

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:38 PM »
sorry about the lack of updates, but I'll (hopefully) by buying my trash cans this Friday (payday) and I've currently been trying my hand a drawing the ARF trooper's camouflage. so, yeah, I'll try to have more updates soon. Thank you for your patience.

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2012, 12:35 AM »
Sounds good! I look forward to updates. :)

- Taakure Clan -

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2012, 01:33 AM »
sorry about the lack of updates, but I'll (hopefully) by buying my trash cans this Friday (payday) and I've currently been trying my hand a drawing the ARF trooper's camouflage. so, yeah, I'll try to have more updates soon. Thank you for your patience.

Certainly play around with it for fun while you wait, but don't get too hung up on paint at this stage.

I still haven't settled on my paint scheme, I'm going to build all of my armor pieces first.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:29 PM »
right, captain. It's just an idea that's up in the air at the moment. I'm simply trying to wrap my mind around doing it.  :laugh: I may end up going with a solid color (purple, maybe. or green) but currently I'm using it to keep my mind working on my beskar'gam, 'cause if I don't keep it in mind it will end up never getting done. 
Certainly play around with it for fun while you wait, but don't get too hung up on paint at this stage.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:49 PM »
right, captain. It's just an idea that's up in the air at the moment. I'm simply trying to wrap my mind around doing it.  :laugh: I may end up going with a solid color (purple, maybe. or green) but currently I'm using it to keep my mind working on my beskar'gam, 'cause if I don't keep it in mind it will end up never getting done.

One of the really cool things about Mando costumes is the way the paint works as far as layers and weathering.  You could do the lower coats solid first, then take the top coat and do your best to imitate the camo pattern (or even better, make a few stencil sections that you can spray through).  As long as you get a rough paint layer you can just do the rest in sanding.  You'll want softer weathered textures anyways.  If you bomb this layer you can sand it off down to the lower coats or just say screw it and paint over, then still sand to the other layers in weather spots.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:04 PM »
One of the really cool things about Mando costumes is the way the paint works as far as layers and weathering.  You could do the lower coats solid first, then take the top coat and do your best to imitate the camo pattern (or even better, make a few stencil sections that you can spray through).  As long as you get a rough paint layer you can just do the rest in sanding.  You'll want softer weathered textures anyways.  If you bomb this layer you can sand it off down to the lower coats or just say screw it and paint over, then still sand to the other layers in weather spots.
sounds good, Captain. :) I don't have too much experience with paint, but I can give it a go, so to speak.
Also, as sort of an update, money is tight (well, tighter than normal) so, I will be pricing things tonight, but I may or may not end up actually buying anything. So, we'll just see what happens.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:57 PM »
sounds good, Captain. :) I don't have too much experience with paint, but I can give it a go, so to speak.
Also, as sort of an update, money is tight (well, tighter than normal) so, I will be pricing things tonight, but I may or may not end up actually buying anything. So, we'll just see what happens.

One cool way to get into these costumes on tight budgets is to just go stroll through thrift stores and places like Goodwill.  You can find all kinds of cheap used items that can be deconstructed into Mando costumes.  I've seen guys buy crappy handbags just to get the buckles they wanted for a girth belt for dirt cheap.  You might stumble onto something that could be used as a vest, who knows.  That lets you make some progress without having to fork over a ton of cash yet.

By the time you get to paint there are tons of fantastic tips on how to get good results for cheap.  You don't need an expensive set up like I'll be using at all, I just happen to have it for the purpose of getting into painting car panels.

How good are you at stuff like sewing?  Being able to make some of your own soft parts is a big plus when trying to keep things cheap.  The scrap and bargain bins at places like Joann's are a fantastic place to check regularly too.  I almost got my vest material for super cheap, but in my usual fashion I decided I had to have exactly the material I wanted which is a slightly darker marine grade vinyl.  If I wasn't so picky I could have made my vest off 8 dollars in fabric.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2012, 02:45 AM »
well, Captain I'm fairly good at sewing. (I can do it rather well, but I don't really care for it) so, I will probably be making my vest, and some other soft parts. And I'm looking forward to hitting the thrift stores in my area. :D

ok, so, time for an update. My mom and I went to Wal-Mart tonight, and I priced most of my needed supplies. Trashcans are, like, $15 dollars, but the other stuff (sand paper, paint, stuff that like) wasn't too expensive. However, I didn't see any Bondo. Can you even buy bondo at Wal-Mart?? Will I have to go to an auto supply store, or something like that? Anyway, getting back on track, I got some water guns to fix up. :D I'll be posting pictures for everyone to evaluate.

Also, my mom raised some interesting questions. Are there membership dues when you join the Mercs? What do you have to do to remain a member? Do you have to pay to get in? Do you have to go to a certain number of meetings per quarter/year?

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:58 AM »
well, Captain I'm fairly good at sewing. (I can do it rather well, but I don't really care for it) so, I will probably be making my vest, and some other soft parts. And I'm looking forward to hitting the thrift stores in my area. :D

ok, so, time for an update. My mom and I went to Wal-Mart tonight, and I priced most of my needed supplies. Trashcans are, like, $15 dollars, but the other stuff (sand paper, paint, stuff that like) wasn't too expensive. However, I didn't see any Bondo. Can you even buy bondo at Wal-Mart?? Will I have to go to an auto supply store, or something like that? Anyway, getting back on track, I got some water guns to fix up. :D I'll be posting pictures for everyone to evaluate.

Also, my mom raised some interesting questions. Are there membership dues when you join the Mercs? What do you have to do to remain a member? Do you have to pay to get in? Do you have to go to a certain number of meetings per quarter/year?

Well you don't have to like it to pull off making your vest :).

Wal Mart actually does carry Bondo, but honestly for your body filler NAPA autoparts if they are in your area is a really good choice.  They don't make their own, and neither does the company they contract it to.  Their fillers are all evercoat products, who is a great company for this stuff.  It'll still be a cheaper version but be better to use than Bondo.  I honestly don't know of the best cheap resin and fiberglass source though, I got the nicer stuff.  I know other people here will say Bondo is fine, but I personally wouldn't touch the stuff.

As far as membership you just have to come to one event a year, and if you don't you become retired.  There are no dues, this organization is all run on donations.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:23 PM »
ok. I know exactly were a NAPA is so I'll see what I can do about looking around in there. and about Membership dues, I didn't think there were any, I just wasn't sure.
 all right, I got pictures of my guns, but I am having a difficult time getting them to upload, so I'll ask my dad to help me. (He's a whiz at this type of techie thing. :) )  so, anyway, I'll try to have pictures up by the time I go to bed, or tomorrow at the latest.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:34 PM »
ok. I know exactly were a NAPA is so I'll see what I can do about looking around in there. and about Membership dues, I didn't think there were any, I just wasn't sure.
 all right, I got pictures of my guns, but I am having a difficult time getting them to upload, so I'll ask my dad to help me. (He's a whiz at this type of techie thing. :) )  so, anyway, I'll try to have pictures up by the time I go to bed, or tomorrow at the latest.

The real trick with uploading pictures is that you need a third party hosting site to upload them to, and then you link them into posts.  Forums rarely host that many pictures themselves.  I use photobucket, but there are a bunch of free sites out there.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:29 AM »
Pictures! (I think. It may upload, and it may not. We'll just see how it goes.)

There. :) Ok, these (obviously) are water guns that I got at Wal-Mart. I realize I will have to sand, paint, and mod them. I will also have to remove the 'water-gun' triggers. But other than that, are these acceptable 'star warsy' type guns?

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:33 AM »
sorry about the lighting. It's not great...
and special thanks to Biohazzard, without who's tutorial, I might never have figured out how to upload pictures from photobucket. :)
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=7579.msg172374#msg172374

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:05 PM »
so, if nobody responds, does that mean my guns are ok?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!