Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jesse's WIP **#wearable!!**

• 271 Replies

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work
Re: Jesse's WIP
« Reply #240 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:30 AM »
This gets more awesome every time I see it!

Dha'werd

• Dha'werd Oya'karir
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #241 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:35 AM »
This is impressive, good details in the armor, all armor tells a story OYA!!!... literal  :like:

Back plate:
"Ni su'cuyi, gar Kyr'adyc.
Ni partaylis, gar Darasuum.
Diane Spire, Tharon Davison.
Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la (Not gone, merely marching far away)"

SNIPER W.I.P. C.C.P.H.H.M.M. #14 | M.A.R.S #77

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
« Reply #242 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:08 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback!  ;D

I did some detail work on my knees today.
Here's the right:
"Bend no knee"

and the side

And the left:

and side

Also added a decal to the right chest plate. Behold the fabled Sky Chicken.  :laugh:

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #243 on: Nov 26, 2018, 05:48 PM »

You did the THING. Nice! That's a little blast from the past :8):

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #244 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:15 PM »
You did the THING. Nice! That's a little blast from the past :8):

You remembered!  :laugh: I emailed Ran looking for the original file, but it's been so long that it has gone to alphabet heaven.  :P I freehanded it from memory, so I'm glad it's recognizable.

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #245 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:02 PM »
So, I weathered my Kama. I used a combination of spray paint, bleach, actual paint applied with a kabuki brush, and real dirt. It looks lighter in the pictures than it is in real life (because of the flash), so I'll get some outside soon.

I also blackwashed my helmet.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #246 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:22 AM »
"And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds" (Probably gonna redo the letters so there is more space between the words.  :rolleyes:)

And the left side:

AAAANNDDD!! 95% wearable InflataMando!

Obviously need belt, pouches, boots, and visor for helmet. Things I'm seeing: I need to knock the shine off the body plates so they blend better with the plastic/sintra plates. Also wondering if I should extend the red stripe up onto the thigh plates to get a more cohesive look. In addition I will probably be swapping out the sash for a longer, wider version in a different color. Maybe really dark red or a teal that matches the sharkbite marks on various pieces of my kit.

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2018, 12:17 PM by Jesse Libarra » Logged

Ran

• I reject your canon, and substitute my own.
« Reply #247 on: Dec 02, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Looks awesome! I especially love the patches in the kama. And of course, the mighty Sky Chicken, which rises from the ashes of memory like a Phoenix.  :P I'm so glad you could keep it alive from memory.

I personally like the shin stripes as they are, don't need to make it to uniform-y.

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #248 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:24 PM »
I also think the stripes are fine how they are. However, if you do want to extend them, I think it might look neat if you only extend the line a short way up the thigh plate. Like 2-3 inches, or so. Just as a thought.

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #249 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:40 PM »
I also think the stripes are fine how they are. However, if you do want to extend them, I think it might look neat if you only extend the line a short way up the thigh plate. Like 2-3 inches, or so. Just as a thought.

You know, I really like that idea. Maybe I'll do that.  :8): They seem so bare as they are.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #250 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:19 PM »
Tada! Visor installation complete.

Installation was a three-man job. My fiberglassing process warped the cheeks out of round, so it took my sister to hold the thing in place, me to heat, shape, and hold the visor in, and my kid brother to hold the hot glue gun.  :laugh:

I kept the upper cheeks where I wanted them like this (MacGuyver skills activated), and my sister held the bottom.

I used generous globs of hot glue (on the recommendation of several fellow Mercs) and it seems to be pretty sturdy.

Next up, padding!

Corvyn Nuhunar

• Cin Vhetin, my dudes
« Reply #251 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:44 AM »
Your kit is totally gorgeous, vod! I'm usually one for brighter colors, but the colors you picked look so nice together, and the Mando'a script looks super cool. Also, the helmet and sweater is a great look  :laugh:

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work
« Reply #252 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:00 PM »
I love all the little details. Fantastic!

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #253 on: Mar 04, 2019, 05:01 PM »
So, contrary to appearances, I have not been completely idle, just swamped with a Microsoft certification exam, a two-week Ikea contract, a business trip to Florida, and a month of cold, rainy weather!

I went ahead and put the half stripe on my thigh plates.

Also bought padding to keep my helmet from spinning around on my head. Cut it up into strips, and hot glue where desired.  ;D

I also made the switch from a green sash to a burgundy. Weathering to come later.

And here's some weapons progress (still a wip, obviously).

Not pictured here, but I also added slits in my pants for my leg plate straps.

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #254 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:06 PM »
Weathering on your thighs is top notch, dare I say it looks like a paintjob I'd do \m/
What's your masking medium? I use toothpaste because I kept spilling the latex masking fluid, at $20 a bottle I figured toothpaste would work fine lol

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!