Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jesse's WIP **#wearable!!**

• 269 Replies

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Jesse's WIP
« Reply #250 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:00 PM »
I love all the little details. Fantastic!

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
« Reply #251 on: Mar 04, 2019, 05:01 PM »
So, contrary to appearances, I have not been completely idle, just swamped with a Microsoft certification exam, a two-week Ikea contract, a business trip to Florida, and a month of cold, rainy weather!

I went ahead and put the half stripe on my thigh plates.

Also bought padding to keep my helmet from spinning around on my head. Cut it up into strips, and hot glue where desired.  ;D

I also made the switch from a green sash to a burgundy. Weathering to come later.

And here's some weapons progress (still a wip, obviously).

Not pictured here, but I also added slits in my pants for my leg plate straps.

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #252 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:06 PM »
Weathering on your thighs is top notch, dare I say it looks like a paintjob I'd do \m/
What's your masking medium? I use toothpaste because I kept spilling the latex masking fluid, at $20 a bottle I figured toothpaste would work fine lol

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #253 on: Mar 04, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Weathering on your thighs is top notch, dare I say it looks like a paintjob I'd do \m/
What's your masking medium? I use toothpaste because I kept spilling the latex masking fluid, at $20 a bottle I figured toothpaste would work fine lol

Thanks! I've been using toothpaste too. I put it on with a toothpick, let it dry for a while, paint over it, then scrub it off with a wet rag or a brush.

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #254 on: Mar 05, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Thanks! I've been using toothpaste too. I put it on with a toothpick, let it dry for a while, paint over it, then scrub it off with a wet rag or a brush.

Y UP thats exactly how I do it, except I use whatever stick-like piece of detritus is laying around lol lately its been allen keys

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #255 on: Apr 04, 2019, 11:14 AM »
So, I weathered my sash.

I cut up the ends a bit and shredded them using a serrated steak knife. I also enlisted my vod'ika and his BB gun to put some interesting holes in strategic places.  :P

I also did some work on my gun:

Pre brown-wash:

Post brown-wash:

Gun loosely inspired by this guy:

Kad Kyryc

• Yes. My helmet is a cake.
« Reply #256 on: Apr 05, 2019, 12:40 AM »
I look dorky in my pajamas and flip-flops, but I have a nice gun... *Chambers round*

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #257 on: Apr 06, 2019, 10:31 AM »
Looks good- birdshot makes for nice weathering on soft parts like capes and kamas too, get a decent spread mabe 20 feet back so it looks like random littl hoels caused by say spark burns or something. And your in Texas I dont want to hear  "idk how" xD

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #258 on: Apr 12, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Ok, so I bit the bullet and decided to do boot armor. I was kind of up in the air, but decided that my pull on boots made my feet look ludicrously tiny in comparison with the rest of my kit. So, I will be doing boot armor to cover the laces on my combat boots.

After cutting two inches off the standard "small" pattern, here they are painted silver:

Painted brown (to match my knee plates)

Red stripe:

And black-wash (not that you can see it in my phone camera):

Next up, snaps and elastic.

Jesse Libarra

Re: Jesse's WIP **#wearable!!!**
« Reply #259 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:56 PM »
So, got the strapping done on my boot plates:

and then....
*drum roll, please*

I'm #wearable!

Here are the pictures taken by a vod'ika who was nearly beside himself with excitement.

And requisite helmet shots:

So, things I've got to fix:
1. I'll bring my sash further down my hips, so there's more red under the belt. The sash will also cover the top of the kama/loin cloth so they look separate.
2. Fix vest/ab plate region so it's not loose. (The ab plate was sagging because my vest wasn't secured tightly enough)
3. Close gauntlets completely so the velcro doesn't show.
4. Put on backplate/belt in such a way that the teeth of the backplate are actually under the pouches instead of over.  :-\
5. Probably tailor the arms a little. There's already so little space to work with on my 5ft frame, I don't need any more bulk.
6. Gotta put one more piece of padding in the forehead region so the helmet doesn't keep slipping down over my glasses.  :laugh:

I also will not be taking my next set of pictures standing on a downhill slope with the sun in my eyes.

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2019, 08:07 PM by Jesse Libarra » Logged

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: Jesse's WIP **#wearable!!**
« Reply #260 on: Apr 14, 2019, 09:33 PM »
As I said before, TOP notch kit! Love it!

I think your list of tweaks is pretty good, too. I'm not sure, but your may need to pull your chest plates in a little closer to each other. Spacing looks a little bit on the wide side, but I could be wrong and it's actually fine :P

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
« Reply #261 on: Apr 17, 2019, 08:19 PM »
Gotta say, that looks pretty dang darn awesome! :boba:

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #262 on: Apr 19, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Gotta say, that looks pretty dang darn awesome! :boba:

Thank you! It's only been... what? Seven years in the making?  :laugh:

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #263 on: Apr 20, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Okay, okay.  :P Due to the majority of comments being of the "too earthy" variety, I went ahead and modified the buttstock.

Before:

After:

Referenced the A-280 for the stock design:

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2019, 11:40 AM by Jesse Libarra » Logged

Ran

« Reply #264 on: Apr 22, 2019, 09:04 PM »
That looks super cool!

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread

J'Khara Vontess

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #265 on: Apr 23, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Overall looks good, well done. I Would suggest, for comfort reasons, to go ahead and cut the teeth off the backplate. Your back plate will still exceed the minimum size requirement without them. Your list of tweeks is solid. Can't wait to see your next round of photos!

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #266 on: Apr 28, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Overall looks good, well done. I Would suggest, for comfort reasons, to go ahead and cut the teeth off the backplate. Your back plate will still exceed the minimum size requirement without them. Your list of tweeks is solid. Can't wait to see your next round of photos!

Oh yes, that's definitely going to have to happen. I discovered the wisdom of your statement in my....

:porg2: IMPROMPTU PHOTOSHOOT :porg2:

First, the pre- pre- pre-app pictures:

And, classic "Looking directly into the sun" picture:

Now for fun with the vod'ika:

Ok, so here's my updated list of fixes:
1. I'm re-doing the velcro on my gauntlets so it's a) not so hard to get them off and b) not so obvious
2. I'll be moving my thigh plates down a little, and my knees up a smidge.
3. The teeth on the backplate have to be trimmed, because they're currently resting on my pelvis. I'll be adding more velcro to the backplate as well, to keep it from coming off (like you can see in some of the pictures)
4. Elastic strap on right shin will be blackened (it got painted by accident)

Next round of Pre- Pre-apps will be taken in better lighting! Who woulda thought black on black would be so difficult to photograph?  :rolleyes:

EDIT:
I cut about an inch off the backplate teeth. I may go a little higher, but I may not depending on the experience with my next kit-up.

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2019, 04:22 PM by Jesse Libarra » Logged

Ran

« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2019, 05:16 AM »
The Jesse Braid! That looks so awesome! You're inspiring me to maybe finally eventually get my kit out of the gutter.

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #268 on: May 08, 2019, 09:53 AM »
So, I went ahead and trimmed my collar plate a little. Now it sits on the inside of my shoulder joint, and I can actually raise my arms a little.  :laugh:

J'Khara Vontess

« Reply #269 on: May 15, 2019, 11:50 AM »
Yes!! Take comfort where you can get it!
Kit looks amazing, loved the Photoshoot.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!