Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jesse's WIP **#wearable!!**

• 269 Replies

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
Re: Jesse's WIP
« Reply #75 on: Mar 19, 2012, 09:39 PM »
From what I understand on helms, you definitely do not want a 1:1 Boba, though i believe the 1:1 jango, which is a bit smaller, should work.
I read it was 9.5 inches on the J2P. At any rate, it's not an exact science, but based on your measurements and everything I've read, the J2P is the right fit for you.

That's what I thought. :) And I found one for ~$32 so, I'm happy ;D

All right, so my mom and I went scavenging in the garage and we found some plastic packing totes! :D (Getting these had been my greatest concern, besides the helmet) And I also found this.

It's an antique knife that my Great Grandfather (I think) got in Israel.

For Reference:

Detail shot. Sorry it's fuzzy

Here's a better one:

Anyway, I thought it might be cool if I could carry it around, but I'm not sure of the CRLs on this one. Is the policy 'No potential lethal weapons?

And yes, I know the date on my camera is way off  :-\ :laugh:

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2012, 01:02 AM by Jesse Libarra » Logged

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #76 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:48 AM »
The problem with live steel weapons is that a lot of conventions don't allow them and at the ones that are more lenient you still often have to have them peace bound so you can't draw them. Not to mention the potential problems at events that aren't at conventions since local laws often restrict what size real blade you can carry on your person. I love real blades, but I try to avoid actual ones on my kits for anything other than photoshoots.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè
« Reply #77 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Beautiful blade, I love it! But yeah, most of the time live steel (ie real, metal blades) won't be allowed.

No cheers, no warcry.
The best way to take out a mark is to not let it know you're coming!
Long-Process Concept WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=169143.0

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #78 on: Mar 31, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Hi Jesse, poking my head back in (been busy but not gone).

You could mock up your own blade in the same shape out of a different material and keep the sheath.  This way you can have it all.  There are tons of good knife tutorials on here with materials like sintra.

Looks like it's coming along, I personally am taking a slightly different route with sizing my armor plates.  I want the fitment to be precise so I'm getting my vest all sewn together first.  I'm going to test fit while wearing the actual flight suit and vest for my costume.  I'm also a super skinny guy (over 6' 153 lbs) so if I'm not careful the costume will look awkward and poorly fitted. 

Have you started looking at the flight suit and vest yet?

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #79 on: Apr 01, 2012, 01:12 PM »
You could mock up your own blade in the same shape out of a different material and keep the sheath.  This way you can have it all.  There are tons of good knife tutorials on here with materials like sintra.

That sounds good. I've have to look into that. :)

Have you started looking at the flight suit and vest yet?

I have been tossing around some ideas. I'm leaning toward scrubs (I'll have to modify the top some, I know) as opposed to a flight suit (for cost and fitting issues). I know a good place in town that has a very large supply of scrubs, so I'm looking for an excuse to drive all the way in ;)  I'm also hoping to have a look around Goodwill and other thrift stores in hopes of finding something good for a vest. And if that doesn't happen, I may be making the vest.

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #80 on: Apr 01, 2012, 08:38 PM »
I'm going to make my own vest, the pattern tutorial linked from here is really good.  I made some slight modifications to it where the tutorial over simplified a couple spots.  I already made my pattern and cut the material.  I pinned it and tried it on to make sure the pattern was good, time for sewing.

A female vest is a little different though, there are more decisions to make in how you're planning on shaping around your figure.  For my wife I'm going to make a completely form fitting vest, but I know that isn't the most common direction.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #81 on: Apr 11, 2012, 09:47 PM »
I am officially necroing this thread  :D

well, not much progress to speak of, but I do have some plans to acquire some of my needed paraphernalia (toilet brush holders for gauntlet base [see ConDar Ward's tutorial] and my scrubs [for flight suit], things like that).

Now, my sister is on the way to the hospital for what we think is her appendix.  :-\ So, I'm thinking that the ensuing hospital bills will negatively affect the spare cash that can go toward my kit, so I'm looking at some more delay. (not that this is my sister's fault, it's just I remember how it was with my little brother. Hospitals and ambulances are expensive.  :-\)

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #82 on: Apr 15, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Just out of curiosity do you have a target event to be able to wear this by?

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #83 on: Apr 15, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Just out of curiosity do you have a target event to be able to wear this by?

sorta, kinda. *shrug*

Maybe by the end of the year, maybe by the next Star Wars Celebration (in what, 2 years?). Right now there's not anything particular that I'm aiming for. That may change, though.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2012, 01:46 AM »
Yay! Update!

No pictures as of yet, but I got my toilet brush holders for my gauntlet bases and I got a pattern for making my own scrubs for my flight suit.  ;D

I'll get pictures up as soon as I can.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Okay, here are the pictures I promised. The toilet brush holders were like, $6 at Target. I tried to talk my mom into something cheaper, but being the wonderful buir she is, she wanted me to be happy with what I got no matter what it cost. I love her so much...;D

and here is my pattern for my soon to be flight suit. It was a couple of dollars at Wal-Mart.  I'm planning to modify it slightly around the collar, and I will be doing the double sleeve idea. This just gives me a base to work off of.

sorry about the glare.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:50 PM by Jesse Libarra » Logged

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2012, 09:40 PM »
I'm excited to see those gaunts take shape! Aren't buire the best? ;) The flightsuit plan is cool and I'm looking forward to seeing that work out so that I can perhaps steal your ideas... heheheh  :P Good update!

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2012, 01:53 AM »
I'm excited to see those gaunts take shape! Aren't buire the best? ;) The flightsuit plan is cool and I'm looking forward to seeing that work out so that I can perhaps steal your ideas... heheheh  :P Good update!

Yes, yes they are. Mine especially. ;)

And when I figure out what exactly I'm doing, feel free to steal anything you want. That's what ideas are for: to be come up with and shared. :)

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #88 on: Aug 20, 2012, 11:49 PM »
Well, I am necro-posting. I wouldn't normally, but I hate to start a whole new thread.

Anyway, I have all my templates printed, cut out and taped together. I have a plastic tote box, some snips and I am getting ready to begin in earnest. But, before I do, I have some questions.

Number 1: a. How do I close my gauntlets? Buckles, straps, magnets, what?
                  b. What type of hinges do I need for my gauntlets? I think I read somewhere that piano hinges work well. Is this correct, and if so, where do I buy them?

Number 2: How would I go about layering my shoulder plates? I am trying to minimize the 'bobble head' look as much as possible, so I was hoping to add some bulk to my shoulder area. Suggestions?

« Reply #89 on: Aug 21, 2012, 11:34 AM »
For the hinges, I know a lot of people (myself included) use these or very similar:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202034110/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=48%22+hinge&storeId=10051
36-48" should give you more than enough, they are at lowes, home depot, or whatever hardware store you shop at.

For closing, I actually used another piece of the hinge with a removable pin, so it slides in to lock. Very secure, and you already have the material. This is what the 3-4' hinge length is based on, you only need ~8-12 for one side of a gaunt. Another option is a metal plate & magnet, or velcro. Just glue one half in one side, and one on the other. Velcro usually takes an extra piece of plastic to hold half so it covers the other half.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #90 on: Aug 21, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Awesome. Thanks Moradin. :D

Kardos Shantiel

• I don't need gaunts I've got the POWER GLOVE!
« Reply #91 on: Aug 21, 2012, 07:13 PM »
Yaaaay progress!

Proud member of the Dumbstruck Podcast Team!

http://www.twitch.tv/dumbstruck_podcast

Armor:

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #92 on: Aug 24, 2012, 04:17 PM »
I now have scrubs. :D I waited to take the tags off until I got the OK. The top may end up getting replaced, but I think it ought to work for right now. I had to hem the pants almost six inches. *chuckle* Also, I am wearing the boots I'll be using for my kit. With boot spats, do you figure they will work?

they revamped photobucket, so I don't know how anything works anymore.  :-\ So, we'll just see how this works out.

Kardos Shantiel

« Reply #93 on: Aug 24, 2012, 09:44 PM »
It all seems to look just fine.

But I am no expert, so I'd wait for one of them. :P

Armor:

Sirus the Red

• Now with OM status! #802 (Sy-rus, not Sir-ius!)
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #94 on: Aug 24, 2012, 11:28 PM »
First off, I would like to award you +20 cool points for owning a game of Rock 'em sock 'em Robots. Good taste.

I'm no expert on the spit and polish of soft parts, but the boots should be fine as long as the laces don't show. You could cover them with spats, or even just have a small armor plate covering them. It would be best if they complemented your color scheme in some way though.

Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur!
(Today is a good day for someone else to die!)

Armor WIP thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=52662.0

Weapon projects WIP thread
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=55824.15

deviantArt
http://argnarock.deviantart.com/

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #95 on: Aug 24, 2012, 11:38 PM »
First off, I would like to award you +20 cool points for owning a game of Rock 'em sock 'em Robots. Good taste.

*chuckle* Thank you ;D

I'm no expert on the spit and polish of soft parts, but the boots should be fine as long as the laces don't show. You could cover them with spats, or even just have a small armor plate covering them. It would be best if they complemented your color scheme in some way though.

Yes, they will be covered with the boot plates/spats. I'm also hoping at some point to get boots of a different color. These are just placeholders until that time comes. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Sirus the Red

• Now with OM status! #802 (Sy-rus, not Sir-ius!)
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #96 on: Aug 25, 2012, 12:09 AM »
No problem, feedback is what we're here for! I'm looking at your concept sketch right now, and I notice that you have brown in a few spots, so as long as you have a few accent pieces that match your boots my personal style peeves will be satisfied!  Also, good work on the sketch, kind of makes me want to do a nicer one now...

Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur!
(Today is a good day for someone else to die!)

Armor WIP thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=52662.0

Weapon projects WIP thread
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=55824.15

deviantArt
http://argnarock.deviantart.com/

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #97 on: Aug 25, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Scrubs look good ;) but are you going to be adding long sleeves ?

as for boots as long as laces and logos are coved they should be good ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jesse Libarra

Re: Jesse's WIP (lots of pictures)
« Reply #98 on: Aug 26, 2012, 12:23 AM »
Well, I finally got myself together and cut out some armor plates! I got my collar and ab plates out of the box, as well as both thighs, both shins, both boot plates, and the diamond plate. I still have to get my knees, shoulders, back and chest plates cut.

*chuckle* Wow. Lots of pictures.

Kardos Shantiel

« Reply #99 on: Aug 26, 2012, 12:48 AM »
Wooah! They look nice, but we won't know exactly how they look until we get a pic with them taped to you. But so far they look nicely cut, and well made!

Armor:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!