Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Finished

• 149 Replies

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
Re: Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Weathering
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2012, 07:27 PM »
My kind of weathering ner'vod, nice work  ;)

Cant say more mate, but spot on ;)

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Post Painting
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Thanks, Kel!  I ended up adding some black chalk streaks & smearing them in.  Did the same with red chalk in a couple places, smearing them in with a little black chalk.  I added Window washer fluid to an 8 oz spray mist bottle.  I then added 0.5 - 1.0 oz  sand colored acrylic paint to the bottle.  Made a sand wash this way & misted it a little all over my armor.  I sprayed it a little heavier on the leg armor.  I then "slapped" a microfiber towel in a few spots while it was drying, so that only parts of it would be covered with "sand".

I'm very happy with the results.  Put on two thin coats of Matte clear coat, and I plan to wet sand it tomorrow with 2000 grit to smooth it out some.

I'll post pictures another time.  It's too hot outside right now to leave sintra setting out while taking pictures.  I'm excited I finished painting before Florida's high-humidity summer comes along!!  I was afraid I'd get stuck painting & dealing with paint wrinkles.

I'll be taking it a little easier now.  Gotta make my holsters, glue greeblies in the gauntlets & blasters, do some minor sewing, make elastic straps for the leg armor, dye my soft parts, and weather my soft parts. Then add electronics.

Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Nice work Vod ;D Love the Weathering

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kiel'ani Cardas

• Remembering Princess Leah
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Wow  :o

I love your weathering, and really love the subtlety of the orange!

redkraytdragon

• Disintigrations are likely...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06 PM »
Nice work dude!  :o

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Just finished epoxying the gauntlet greeblies.  Here are the pictures of my finished RKD Gauntlets, missing the rubber hose-tubes (which connect to the 3 connectors on the Right gauntlet).  I plan on attaching those after I weather them with the flight suit.  The bottom cover of the flamethrower was left off of the picture by accident (it connects via magnets, thanks to RKD's tutorial!).  These pics were taken in direct sunlight, so they may be slightly overexposed.

Overview Picture

You can see the flamethrower nozzles here

Blade extended (held in by two pairs of magnets for open & closed positions)

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2012, 05:04 PM »
I finished all the work on my blasters.  Revolver barrel spins & trigger springs back & forth.  After I get approved, I'm going to add a revolver motor, barrel led, and soundboard inside of it.  I'm going back and adding in electronics last.  Anyhow, which one of these photos should I use for my Approval submittal?

Photo in Sunlight (casting shadows)

Photo in Shade (no shadows, but darker)

Photo in Shade with guns closer together (brighter & more detail)

The rest of my kit is not ready for approval submittal.  I still have a lot of loose ends to tie up, but the blasters are ready... so I went ahead and took the "Approval" photos of them.

redkraytdragon

• Disintigrations are likely...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2012, 06:26 PM »
Great job on the gaunts bro!  :o
Very creative with all the parts you used!

Kiel'ani Cardas

• Remembering Princess Leah
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2012, 06:57 PM »
I personally like the details in the last photo... but then again, I'm not on the app team ;)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Great gaunts Vod ;D

as for your Blasters Im not a fan of the Holes above the grips, and personally im not keen on seeing the mavericks Barrel as it screams Nerf to me and i like to hide that as much as possible.

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Thanks for your input, Kiel & Niabi.  It is appreciated.  I personally love the way they turned out, as they're different than anything else I've seen.  They also serve the #1 function I was going for:  to house a Luxeon LED & heatsink, a soundboard & speaker, and a hobbyist motor that spins the revolver barrel.

I sacrificed appearance in a few areas to promote effects functionality.  I think this is perfectly reasonable, considering that Master Replica lightsabers does the same thing with their plastic blades & holes in the hilt.  These are 501st acceptable & similar functional mods should be accepted in the Mercs.  I did speak to Novall Talon about the speaker holes, and he offered me a few approvable options, as long as a functional speaker/soundboard is included at time of approval.  I'm happy with the results of our conversation.  This is the kind of flexibility I like & expect from a quality costuming group such as this.  I greatly appreciate the flexibility, as that is what makes costuming fun & creative.

EDIT:  I'm editing the rest of this post, because I admittedly flew off the handle on this subject.  I can see why nerf, paintball, and supersoaker guns get so much flak.  I can see why it gets a lot of negative attention.  It is very easy (and practically cheating) for some folks to throw together an off-the-shelf product & say it is Star Warsy.  I had gotten upset because a LOT of time and rework has gone into my blasters.  I felt like I've gotten flak for them no matter what I change & who I please.  There's only so much of it I can handle, and I'm sorry if I went overboard.

I talked to some of the folks at our recent armor party, and one of the most mature responses I got was from a teenager (thanks Cordo).  It was instead of taking it personally, simply state "This is a matter of preference, and I like it this way.  What it really boils down to is that it meets CRL requirements."

I guess this is my problem (and I'm not excused from it):  I hold back a lot of stress at work in a professional environment, and I try to keep my home stress free too.  I go to costuming as a time to relax & be stress-free.  When my relaxing hobby is suddenly adding additional stress to my life instead of venting it, it's hard to bite my tongue.  I'll try to do a better job of that.

BTW, no one spoke to me about this post or any others.  I just felt the need to explain & apologize for reacting to criticism.  I know that most people are offering constructive criticism, and I appreciate that.  I do not wish to discourage the constructive criticism that we all offer one another.  I'll try to handle it better.  Nerf gun modding is my touchy subject for me because of the amount of rework I've put into it & the feeling that no amount of work is good enough for anyone.

Having said that, you are all welcome to the next armor party.  I'd love to meet as many Mercs as I can, as it makes a HUGE difference on how you talk with people.  Today's AP was a blast! :)

Here are some action shots of myself from the AP, lol:

Glad I took these shots b/c I learned not to tweak my wrist down for pictures... it'd look better to keep it straight like a punch. :)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:24 PM by Jark'osa Hauza » Logged

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #146 on: Jul 22, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Some people were wondering how I attached my armor.  I took photos of it here:

Inside helmet (velcro & microfiber bathmats for padding)

Home-made holsters

Thigh plates screwed to holsters

Holsters are attached to belt

Riveted leather belts thru the girth belt buckles

Snaps and elastic on shins.  Added padding

Snaps and elastic on knees

Boot armor and snaps.  Riveted elastic to armor.  Riveted snaps to boots

Snaps on chest armor

Snaps on vest

Snaps on vest

Snaps on back of vest

Hope this helps someone out there!! :)

Also, here are my finished kit pics, if anyone is interested:

http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy105/Kilryth/Jarkosa/

Locked topic because I am not looking for criticism, as I am extremely pleased with the result & do not have anymore time to work on it.  However, I do want to share with everyone that helped me and to help others out.  Thanks to everyone for helping me out this past year, and thanks for looking! :)

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #147 on: Jul 22, 2012, 10:18 PM »
Love the snaps, bro!  :)

Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #148 on: Jul 23, 2012, 04:10 PM »
looking good!

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Ni'ka

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #149 on: Jul 24, 2012, 11:14 AM »
Congrats on your kill stripes!!!!! yay!!!!!  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!