Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Finished

• 149 Replies

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Jark'osa's WIP - Current Stage:: Finished
« on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Hello all,

Here is a link to my General Spray Painting step-by-step guide:  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=49837.0

This is my overall WIP for my whole kit, from "start" to finish.  I try to include information & photos of how I do things, so you may be able to use it as a reference/guide (of what to do and what NOT to do lol).  The most recent posts will include the "Current Stage".  The earlier posts, including this one, will be towards the beginning of my build-process.

This post includes my entire hard parts kit after significant modifications (trimming, sanding, applying adhesives, etc.), but is just a starting point for all my tweaking. :)

Am I safe to go ahead and paint?  Or do I need to do some more sanding/cutting/fitting?

NOTE:  A lot of greeblies are lying loose in the photos because they are cylindrical and difficult to paint, so I plan on painting them separate & then attaching them.  I placed them loosely in their places on the armor for photo purposes though.  I also left out some greeblies on purpose.  No pieces have been painted yet, they were all received this way.  I plan on sanding and priming/painting all the pieces for uniformity.

I placed all my photos for the WIP at this link:  http://photobucket.com/unpaintedarmor if it is easier to see/browse.

Backpiece has been molded to my back.  Could not get the tiny bend at the back of the collar out without destroying the fit.  I tried heatmolding it all different ways, but it won't disappear.  Suggestions welcome, but I am ok with how it is now if it's acceptable.

Ab, chest, and collar have been molded to my body shape.  Middle of Chest Diamond was cut out & removed because I like the look better; any problems with this?  If so, I can add thin plastic behind it, but I really like the look.

Shoulders have been fitted.

Thighs have been fitted.

Shins & knees have been fitted.

Boot armor has been fitted

View of the whole kit.

Inside of Right Gauntlet (hinge on one side, hobby lobby 1/2" magnets on other side).  Retractable blade contains magnets also.

Right Gauntlet with blade out.

Right Gauntlet with blade in.

Bottom of Left Gauntlet (flamethrower lid detached with magnets installed)

Bottom of Left Gauntlet

Left Gauntlet

Knees (right side)

Knees (left side)

Knees

Jetpack

Jetpack & Backpiece

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 05:00 PM by Jark'osa Hauza » Logged
Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Jark'osa's WIP - Before Paint - Am I Ready to Paint?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:30 PM »
I custom built the rocket and gas block to the gauntlets.  If anyone is having trouble with these parts, I can lend some tips on how to build them with cheap parts from Lowes and Autozone.  Most the other parts were purchased from guys here on the forum & then modified.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2012, 10:46 PM »
For the best critique, you probably need to post some pics wearing it; even if you don't have a flight/jump suit yet, at least we can get an idea of placement and spacing. If you need to make the body attachments first, you may want to hold off painting it for now....for my part, that looks like a 90% Mando, dude....you need to go ahead and put some paint on that baby!  :D

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:15 PM »
Agreed. As long as the surface of your pieces is smooth to the touch for the most part, you should be good to paint. Just make sure you get the right kind of paint for your plastic. Krylon for plastic works well (for me, but others will disagree) so I would start with the base coat over all the pieces so you can get a uniform surface color to see about any defects. Don't be too particular about those defects, though, especially since this is a custom. (Canon=anal, imho... :P)

My question is what dd you use for the vent at the bottom of the jetpack? Is that just a small louver from a hardware store? I'm asking because I'm helping Ka'ra Drali with his jp and I saw those vents at ACE this morning and I was wondering how they would look.

dAVid.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2012, 11:20 PM »
I like what you did to the Mavericks. But I think they still need some modding in the revolving barrel section.

And could I get that assistance on the wrist rocket?  :D

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:16 AM »
Thanks for the feedback all!  It is appreciated!

For the best critique, you probably need to post some pics wearing it; even if you don't have a flight/jump suit yet, at least we can get an idea of placement and spacing. If you need to make the body attachments first, you may want to hold off painting it for now....

I wish I took photos now when I taped the whole kit to my body a couple months ago.  What a pain it was to line up and tape lol, I will post photos of this before final attachment.  Do you recommend attaching snaps/velcro/bolts prior to painting?  If so, could you explain?

I would start with the base coat over all the pieces so you can get a uniform surface color to see about any defects.

My question is what dd you use for the vent at the bottom of the jetpack?

Unfortunately I don't know what was used for the vent, as I purchased the jetpack second-hand.  I can tell you that it is a homemade jetpack, made mostly of bondo and thin wood support.  I believe the vent is either wood or plastic and approximately 2" in diameter.  Hope this helps a little bit.

I like what you did to the Mavericks. But I think they still need some modding in the revolving barrel section.

And could I get that assistance on the wrist rocket?  :D

I'm glad someone else likes them, lol, I was wondering about those.  I put as much or more time into those than the gauntlets.  I'm like you - I want to do something to the revolving cylinder, but I can't put my finger on it.  I thought about drilling holes or cutting holes.  On the other hand, I've thought about painting a unique pattern on them.  Do you have any suggestions here?

The rest of this post refers to the rocket:
I used a 1" diameter for the main portion, and an overall length of about 8".  Here is a list of the parts I used:

Main body:  2x Clutch Pilot Tools cut & epoxied (I THINK this is the right part #) http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Motormite-Clutch-Pilot-Alignment-Tool/_/N-9xy4z?itemIdentifier=726315_0_0_

I sanded down various 1/2" to 1" PVC pipe fittings for the spacers and rings.  I don't recall exact parts, as I purchased one of each unique fitting (couplers, end-caps, adapters, etc.).  Mostly purchased between 1/2" and 3/4" fittings though.

For the large cone, I sanded down a Pull chain for a ceiling fan from Home Depot:  http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Fans-Ceiling-Fan-Accessories-Pulls-Pull-Chains/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvn1/R-203077862/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051  The angle was too difficult to drill holes in, so I cut slits instead.

For the small cone, I used a 1/2" x 1/2" (at widest points) bronze nozzle that I found in Lowes' Plumbing section (with the small plastic tubing & clamps).  I used parts from this section of the store for attaching my Right gauntlet's tubes also.

The orange plastic inside that cone was cut from some spare plastic lying around. I had to place something here because the the nozzle mentioned above was too wide open.  Wood dowel would have worked.

The tip was a spare steel pin, which I had cut off of a heatsink. A thick paperclip or sturdy metal could probably be used. Make sure it isn't sharp.

The opposite end of the rocket was some PVC fittings glued side by side.  On the end is the skinny portion of the Clutch Alignment/Pilot Tool, with a PVC fitting cut to slide over it.

Don't rush when sanding or gluing, or it could end up crooked.  The pilot tool doesn't adhere well to regular clear epoxy; I found this out the hard way when I took the Exacto knife to the splines.  It does fine if you cake it on there, but the splines are tough.  I'd recommend trying the Plastix epoxy.  I used the clear one because it runs and fills cracks better, so I thought it'd be easier clean-up on the splines.

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:07 AM »
On the retractable blade, are you planning on putting in some kind of lever to assist with deploying the blade? Or are you just going to pull it by the tip? Either way, I'd say your kits looking good.

Only thing I'd recomend at this point if make sure you clean off your plates and gaunts with some mild dish soap and water. Then let air dry before you start to paint. It will clean off any of the dust and what not from cutting and assembling then, so you don't have any issues when you start painting.

Have a good one,
Hagen

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:47 AM »
Following up on the Maverick barrel modification:  I think I'll just paint it differently.  Since I'm installing a motor in it (that I have tested on the cylinder), I'm afraid any holes may cause unwanted noise.  I'll look at it closer still.

On the retractable blade, are you planning on putting in some kind of lever to assist with deploying the blade? Or are you just going to pull it by the tip?

Only thing I'd recomend at this point if make sure you clean off your plates and gaunts with some mild dish soap and water.

Thanks for the tip & feedback, Hagen!  I'll go over it all again with some 200-ish grit sandpaper to ensure everything is smooth, then follow-up with some soap/water & a good air dry.

Right now, the retractable blade is just moved by the blade.  The lever is a great idea; I didn't even think about that b/c I was so excited to get it to fit & working with the magnets lol.  Can't think of too many ways to implement a lever without a spring.  I could attach a rod perpendicular to the blade so I can slide it by the rod instead of the blade itself.  Not sure if it'd add "TOO MUCH" to the gauntlet, as it's getting close to it's max loadout IMHO.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:48 AM »
Looking good mate, cant say more than the others have though. Up to you which attachment method you use, but i rekon Velcro is easiest to do. Industrial adhesive hook side for the plates and normal sew on fuzzy side for the vest etc.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Looking good mate, cant say more than the others have though. Up to you which attachment method you use, but i rekon Velcro is easiest to do. Industrial adhesive hook side for the plates and normal sew on fuzzy side for the vest etc.

Thanks, Kel!  I'm currently undecided on velcro, snaps, or nut & bolt.  I notice some people prefer snaps & bolts because it makes less noise.  Do you use Velcro?  If so, what armor pieces make the most noise?

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2012, 12:31 PM »
All of my armour is attached by velcro mate, apart from the chest plates which are rivetted on. Ive never noticed any noise from them bud ;)

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2012, 01:30 PM »
I could attach a rod perpendicular to the blade so I can slide it by the rod instead of the blade itself.  Not sure if it'd add "TOO MUCH" to the gauntlet, as it's getting close to it's max loadout IMHO.
Yeah a lever wouldn't be a good idea, but you mentioned what my intent was. I'd make a slit in the side of the gaunt right in the  midle of the flat panel right below the orange tube you have there. Use a small pin that would connect into the end of the blade like the ones one would use for the warhammer or 40K models. The what ever greebie you wanted to hide the pin (like a switch lever ;D). Then you wouldn't have to worry about some little one (or someone with the mentality of a little one) grabbing and running off with your blade.

Anyways like I said your well on your way and I need to stop posting when I'm half asleep from work last night :P

Have a good one,
Hagen

Ni'ka

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2012, 01:46 PM »
Looks good so far! I agree with everyone about putting the plates back on so we can give you advice on the spacing.

Replaced internals with LED, sound, & motor.

I think you need to give a light show so we can see what it looks like  :D :D

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:12 PM »
I think you need to give a light show so we can see what it looks like  :D :D

Lol, I failed to mention that I haven't hardwired it yet, just got it working on a breadboard.  :)  I'll post a video up when I hardwire it all, but it is very cool! :)

I am using red Luxeon Star LEDs (like the lightsabers).  It shines across the room like a bright flashlight, lol!

Ni'ka

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:57 PM »
nice! looking forward to seeing it when you have it hardwired!

Drak Fiurr Verda

• ...Mew...
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:36 PM »
It looks good so far. Do what you said about the sanding and cleaning to make sure everything is as smooth as you can get it before painting, and try to get a good test fit posted here so we can make sure you're good to go as far as sizing. As for the velcro, if you use that method for armor attachment, when you go to place it on make sure you rub the plates in pretty well when you first place them and it should eliminate any noise from poor connections as it will allow almost every hook to catch then. I used velcro on my first 2 sets of armor with no noise whatsoever , and the good thing with velcro is it is very forgiving in regards to fixing placement ;).

The mavericks look good but I just can't shake the fact that they still look like mavericks to me. I think you might want to try to mod them a tad more to eliminate that resemblance in the revolver section. It might be cool if you can figure out a way to make it like a tri barrel cylinder block instead of the stock maverick cylinder block.

Those are my two cents. You're doing great though and if you keep this up you'll be official in no time.

R.I.P Chris, aka Remo Jadd
BVC Command Email: bvclan@mandalorianmercs.com

Kebii'tra Verda

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:14 AM »
[yodavoice]Mmm...to Drak you listen. Pre-approval costume judge he is. Woohehehe![/yodavoice]

Yeah, I didn't even think about that. NERF is a good base, but since it is so recognizable, and since in the beginning, a LOT of people were using NERF for their primary weapons, there is a new standard in place that does advise you to make them almost unrecognizable as NERF.

SITCH 1: "Like my weapon?" "It's a Nerf gun. Big deal."
SITCH 2: "Like my weapon?" "Cool! How did you make that?" "Well the base is a Nerf." "Wow, I would never have known!"

Pick your Sitch and pick wisely. :P :P :P

dAVid.

#0127a Kebii'tra Verda
267th Brigade "Remo's Raiders"
Above and Beyond

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2012, 03:46 PM »
I cant add much to what has been said ;) but i do have one thing.

personally if you are going to have some damage on your plates / bucket i like to add the damage to them before i paint them that way it give the damage a 3D effect and in my opinion looks a bit better  than just painted damage ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2012, 04:17 PM »
Do what you said about the sanding and cleaning to make sure everything is as smooth as you can get it before painting, and try to get a good test fit posted here so we can make sure you're good to go as far as sizing.

The mavericks look good but I just can't shake the fact that they still look like mavericks to me. I think you might want to try to mod them a tad more to eliminate that resemblance in the revolver section. It might be cool if you can figure out a way to make it like a tri barrel cylinder block instead of the stock maverick cylinder block.

I'll make sure it's smooth and throw on a single layer of some spare paint, to see how it looks before using the good stuff.  The gaunlets in particular are going to need this.

I'll give the Maverick barrels a third look, especially in the cylinder removal area.  There's not a whole lot I can do as far as detailing them without affecting the function or risking adding noise.  I'll try to look at them more critically... what sucks about them is that their bulky/blocky shape makes them stand out from every other blaster.

It's funny how different people see different blasters.  I don't have much experience modding toy guns, but I have experience modding real guns... so when I see a lot of airsoft gun bases, I go "that's a Beretta CX-4, big deal".. but other posters say "Wow, that's Star Warsy", lol.  Neither method is right or wrong, imho, but it is interesting to see people's responses.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to implement as much of it as I can.

I'll go ahead and post some pics of my armor laid out on me, so a general idea of fitting can be had.  It would work much better if my vest was ready. :(

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:49 PM »
I don't have my vest in, and I have my flight suit... but the collar restricts the collar armor, so it was easier to tape it to a shirt.  As you all know, a regular shirt droops with armor (and so does tape)... lol.  I think this gives a good enough idea of sizing and spacing though.  obviously there is too much space up and down due to drooping and quickly putting it together, but you can see that it will all line up.

I forgot the chest diamond after taking all the photos and the armor started peeling... so I had to take a pic with the chest diamond and holding the plates on as they were falling LOL.  I also threw on the helm for kicks.

I think I'll hold off on painting the upper body armor till after I attach it to the vest... I don't want to risk having to take the heat gun to it after painting.

I threw on the helmet and showed back pictures for the heck of it too.  If anyone has any ideas on how to get the bend out of the backpiece's neck, let me know.  I had to bend it like this for it to fit right.  Unfortunately that's the vertex of the bending.

Holding the plates on to show the chest diamond lol.  Plates were drooping at this point.

Side of armor as it's falling off me lol

Armor without helmet and diamond

Zoomed in

Back piece and kidney from the side

Back piece and kidney from the back

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2012, 01:25 AM by Kilryth » Logged

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2012, 11:19 PM »
You want to be able to see out of it, and the way it looks in the test shots your eyes are right where they should be, so as little foam as possible on the top.

Also I would definitely spend a good amount of time on that flat spot on the dome.  That is the only spot where the shape looks off, take care of it and I think the bucket is solid.  I would check with Falin about the fit of the bucket though because it looks like you're running into the same problem I am.  Mine is too wide for my small frame.  One of the potential solutions that was brought up is to build the shoulder pads up with risers to make your shoulders look wider than they really are.

Again, check with someone from the app team before getting to paint.  I don't think the armor looks bad at all, just a question of the sizing.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2012, 06:03 AM »
Once you have the spacing right i reckon that the plates will be spot on ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:17 AM »
Sizing is fine, just the spacing that want's sorting, but that'll come when you sort a vest.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:59 PM »
The bucket looks fine, minimal padding in the top though. For the size, dont worry till you get all the armour put together.

The helmet looks oversized only cos yeve no got,

(a) Flightsuit on
(b) Flackvest on
(c) Shoulder bell's on

Once all of these are ON it will bulk you up big time, especially if you get the shoulder bells right.

CaptainMorgan

• In Progress
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2012, 01:34 PM »
The bucket looks fine, minimal padding in the top though. For the size, dont worry till you get all the armour put together.

The helmet looks oversized only cos yeve no got,

(a) Flightsuit on
(b) Flackvest on
(c) Shoulder bell's on

Once all of these are ON it will bulk you up big time, especially if you get the shoulder bells right.

I see what you're saying about sizing, but this is what I'm talking about.  My picture that I just took shows me in just a flightsuit and bucket.  I was told it was way too big on me, and by the shoulder measurements of it being a 2/1 ratio it is a couple inches too wide.

Now right next to his picture.

The sizing for us looks remarkably similar, so if mine is too big I suspect his will be too.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!