Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dresdon's DF-12 Stainless Steel Jetpack build(MOAR METALSTORM)

• 77 Replies

Dar'manda

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Dresdon's DF-12 Stainless Steel Jetpack build(see newest post)
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2013, 03:25 AM »
That's pretty!

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2013, 10:30 AM »
RAte now I've got Bondo on it to smooth out any warping and the welding and grinder gouging. For moutnign it, instead of the frustrating blind oholes I've been drilling throught he abckpalte, I'm jsut going to cut a huge chunk out of my backplate and use that to easily pass bolts into it, and I'll probably even use the chunk of alumionum from the backplate to make the jetpack's base plate were it got warped.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2013, 10:53 AM »
That is sick. How heavy is it?

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2013, 12:18 PM »
Well, I have added some filler and the aluminum raised segments on either side of the tank, and with the fuel tank making up a large portion of the weight due to a huge 7/16" bolt going down to hold all the stacked parts on it, I'd say between 15-20lbs. Wont get much heavier for now though, no more than 10lbs heavier at the MOST.    I may pass control wireing through the flamethrower hoses and use the jetpack as a mass battery storage unit, but idk yet.   I'm just having some strange premonitions about roughly 80Volts and 2L of water beside eachother in a metal container... I'm most likely going to deburr the isnide compeltely with my dremal then put Bondo over all the seams and lips. I WILL have a co2 system in it eventualy, I just kind of expended my CO2 budget on the gauntlet which isnt perfect yuet but actualy works: you see, the only trouble is a pinhole leak in the hoses because their not meant for the preasure of the co2.      A friend offered to give me RC jet engines for it 8)  damn gas prices though, had to refuse lol.

But today I am basicaly going to get it to a stage were its ready for paint and electronics.

Paint jobs:
I have to represent my sheemetal doner, so on the tank tops the initials FCV (First Choice Ventilation) and then AA on the one to the right (Acacin Armouries). As for the acutaly colour scheme, I'm contemplating a red and grey setup, my clan and school colours, navy blue and white with medium grey(My RS Veteran CApe colours), or black, grey, and gold like my ship and basilisk, the BlackHawk and the Iron Maiden.

edit:
 So far I've got the first run of glazing putty on it, and im about to go and work on mounting the thrusters after Ive sanded them a bit. Probably going to have a large drywal anchor machine screw going through the outside and cement it in place with bondo and epoxy putty.

edit: heres the pics

still need to do more filler after my crazy thruster mounting proscess

<que horror music>
BACKPLATE!!!!!!!!

hERS THE INSIDES ATM

used them giant 7/16" wood bolts with my ratchet to get the thrusters on. Tehy ain't goin' no-were

hers the otuside with the filler

I had to hammer the brass couplings into the zinc parts, so I cracked the bondo at the top and decided to bolt the side welds to be safe.

it'll be easier to bolt the backplate on now.

Thats all for the time being. Will do more work after school.

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2013, 11:55 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged
Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2013, 10:11 AM »
Got the shield generator JB welded on and may likely use an additional means of mounting it, I.E. an aluminum bar going across the tank cavity with a long machinescrew on the outside of the tank to look a bit like a rivet or something.   I havn't been able to work on it yes this week because I had commisions coming in, some guna and armour-which will go to fund my paintjob anyways(out of Krylon Nickle Shimmer for the metalic coat) and I have a paintjob in mind with a concept I made that I'll do, Black, Grey, Gold, and red accents. willupload later.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2013, 06:16 PM »
THIS is how long it took to get painting.   THIS is how many people commisioned me for various armour and weapons. THIS is how much homework I get in IB.   If you still clueless, "THIS' is referring to how long it took me to get to working on my OWN things.

Now, Jetpack is all but finished painting, ran out of masking tape forthe final black coat -.-

But here it is all silver...wondering if I should name it...

I used Krylon Nickle Shimmer

Have I mentioned I <3 KRYLON Nicle Shimmer?

The paint also helps prevent the ferrous steel Angle Iron I used for the frame from rusting.

I didn't bother going crazy with the areas that wont be seen anyways.

still good though...

pretty...

I uhh/....don't really give a sh!t about palces that wont be seen so...

This is what I used for the weathering

$20 Windsor&Newton Watercolour Masking Fluid>$3 toothpaste(on sale)
got to buy some DARKSIDE skittles and rivets with all the money I saved...

Anyone else here have a dirty, dirty, filthy mind?    If so, stfu.

Black over the areas that would get something other than black(helps with the weathering)

THE NEXT DAY(March 17th/Sunday) I got some grey on the jetpack the night before...but here it is dried-ish... I added the -ish because it caused the Krylon Raspberry to krinkle in some places, due to the cold and me putting Krylon over an Enamol Rustpaint...I find all gloss paints are very tempermental...wish Krylon had this colour in actual Flat, what they have that tehy claim to be flat....I object to it's flat-ness.

first colour after the grey was red...and these are the cans I used today...

this particular can was being very odd....the paint, after literaly 10minutes straight of shaking, still wasnt very opaque. On edges and raised parts the paint ebbed back from the edge, leaving the fins on the center missile tank part with grey and black showing through, so I changed the design a big and opted for black...then gold...

Heres the Krinkling I spoke of(it resided a bit after a while)...this affected area is by one fo the tank bottoms, my left side thruster(when wearing it)

And again on the top, same side...wont matter because these areas are being painted black anyways

(this crinkling is 90% on the tooth-paste weathering ) LOOK WHAT THE WIND HAD THE NERVE TO DO!    EACH COAT OF PAINT AND THATS WHAT HAPPENED!   I was able to kind of correct it by shielding the part with a piece of sheetmetal and light misting coats, wasting 90% of the paint in the form of overspray, but it luckily it globbed on a bit and hid most of the dimpling without doing much globby-ness....THIS msut be why they say not to do spraypainting when its 3*C

Once the red was done being a bith to work with, I masked over the parts that were to remain red and then did the gold

reminds me of a duracel....except the top aint copper its gold  :P

and I then ran out of masking tape while masking poff the gold so I could put the final lblack on it -.-

So instead I rebuilt the gyro housing, gave it a brine bath(3 parts water, 2 parts salt, 1part vinnegar) and that removed all the nasty chemicals that had acumilated on it from being in an old scrapbin for aproximatly a year, and made the brass machine screw on it match it in colour. then I whipped out my  Dura-Glit (a can of polish wadding from the 70s) and made it very very very very shiny. I can see my reflection in it...     BUT: since I used this, you see, it will weather the surface too look like old brass(think of old, weathered bullet casings,,,minus green oxydation if I can help it, it will just tarnish to a battered bronze colour)

with Interior Incandesceant lighting

with natural lighting in my kitchen

and with direct sunlight outside
its so bright, it defocused the camera

and umm...yea, expecting a shipment of around 2000 LEDs of varrying colours within the next week or so, so if time permits I'll have all the electrical done in time for my next efvent on the 24th this month.

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2013, 06:22 PM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Wow just wow. Incredible work you have done here. Can't wait to see it all finished.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:30 PM »

Wednsday was a snowday, so wednsday plus today I finnished* the jetpack. I say finished* because I still intend on synchronsiing the LEDs with some 555 timers and some IC boards.
To start with, I got some more masking tape on my lucnhbreak, and then to remove the toothpaste I resorted to a coarse plastic bristled brush...a bit too course because in some places it went through the silver...but that was a simple repair.

A little BLACKWING clears us of our deeds.

It was acutaly so cold out when I did this that the water would freeze under 20seconds of rinsing the jetpack.
So I brought it inside, clutching it like an infant in my Yoda towel

also did a little bit of weathering on ths missile...didnt raelly want to as its munitions that will be fired off and exploded on a regular bassis, but it wouldnt raelly look right without the small amount of weathering.
oh and I also trimme it down yesterday after doing a height test with the jetpack, removed about 4" so the tip of the missile points no more than 2" above my helmet

since it was so cold out I had to do the blackwash in my living room....I got yelled at...but it kinda worked........the blackwash missed a couple spots, I'll have to get thoe later...

here I started the blackwash removal...

thursters are going to be relatively dirty anyways..infact the whole things would.

heres part of the small lightsaber dmgon the shield generator....as an example of the brush's wrath

thusters:   went through in a couple spots but I fixed that today

heres my hydration system...I'm using a military Camel-bak, a chemical resistant one at that...

photobucket's fault tis upside-down...just turn your head or something

I used the old guantlet flamethrower hose for this, because a drunk shabuire(my parents) snipped the end off whilst attempting to help...there is much hate in me.

I just stuck the hose end onto the camelbak drinking aparatus and clamped it for added security. It will be staying on the chest palte via a Cushion-clamp llike how it is on the back plate.

I had to splice the braided line with the CamelBak line for it to work right, I used a piece of 3/8" copper pipe as a coupling then wrapped the connection in electrical tape and clamped it...mainly just to keep the braided part from fraying, but the tape also helps keep the halfes from seperating.

the ring clamps I used were all stianless of course.

here it is in its rough position

yea thats right: i got my own shop coat in the same grey as my flightsuit

this hose goes up the side of the right

reclamped the end of the water line were it attaches to the bottom of the watercell

I also made the harness system, two X straps across the chest and one horizontal across the wiast
its all riveted and bolted onto  the colar plate bolts

Also added this strip of padding, it was a velcro-in part for my laptop bag, but since I have a huge laptop it wasnt nescesary for the bag and it was instead bolted onto the lower angle-iron bar of the frame.

Now for the electronics. I began with another ppiece of Controls Equiptment, this one a project box of sorts.

first i installed a small switch i got out of a large industrial Kraft beverage machine

then I glued in a terminal bar

I then wireded it without any 555s,thos'll come later on once I find my IC board. I got it a while back but because none of the solder terminals were connected I tossed it in a bin, but now Im going to join the points onn the board with a a small strip of 24gauge copper ground wire.

this is what it does

for the LEDs I used the second strip of automotivered LED s  which work just fine.

here is the isntallation....wierd angle, but the wires are towards the top of the jetpack.

it all runs on a single 9v battery.

'ders the shield generator

once I get the parts and the spare time those round windows will be replaed with a a momentary switch for continuous on, and a second switch will make the lights pulse. the beacon will be on1s/off1s when synched.

ty for your time, be-kind-rewind

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2013, 09:07 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Swift

• (Klen'aka Vonshi)
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:51 PM »
OAJSFNsifhbikjs,nf ikjabIKNDIUKJBNVSIK

That's literally the only response I can muster. This is just way too cool .__.

Beskar'gam  |  Buy'ce  |  Gallery

Mandalorian Mercs OM #769
The Elegant Mando's Tea Society #058
B.E.A.R.D.S #036

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2013, 01:25 AM »
You've done an incredible job on that vod! Bravo!

My one crit would be the use of the lightsaber piece on the rocket. For me it is instantly recognisable, though Joe Public will never know.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2013, 07:38 AM »

My one crit would be the use of the lightsaber piece on the rocket. For me it is instantly recognisable, though Joe Public will never know.

I intend on improving the missile with one machiend from aluminum once I get access to a lathe again, then I'll primarily base it off of an RPG warhead.

Dar'manda

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2013, 01:29 PM »
So how much extra weight does this add to your armor now? LOL  Awesome work, dude.  You've definitely got talent.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2013, 03:48 PM »
 8) Vod... Very Cool ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #28 on: Mar 22, 2013, 04:38 PM »
So how much extra weight does this add to your armor now? LOL  Awesome work, dude.  You've definitely got talent.
[/quote
15-20lbs mounted onto the backplate without water in the hydration pack. Once I get the CO2 system done it'll likely add around 5lbs with the gas.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2013, 06:06 PM »
That is one sweet jetpack.

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!