Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dresdon's DF-12 Stainless Steel Jetpack build(MOAR METALSTORM)

• 77 Replies

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Dresdon's DF-12 Stainless Steel Jetpack build(see newest post)
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2013, 07:38 AM »

My one crit would be the use of the lightsaber piece on the rocket. For me it is instantly recognisable, though Joe Public will never know.

I intend on improving the missile with one machiend from aluminum once I get access to a lathe again, then I'll primarily base it off of an RPG warhead.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2013, 01:29 PM »
So how much extra weight does this add to your armor now? LOL  Awesome work, dude.  You've definitely got talent.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2013, 03:48 PM »
 8) Vod... Very Cool ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #28 on: Mar 22, 2013, 04:38 PM »
So how much extra weight does this add to your armor now? LOL  Awesome work, dude.  You've definitely got talent.
[/quote
15-20lbs mounted onto the backplate without water in the hydration pack. Once I get the CO2 system done it'll likely add around 5lbs with the gas.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2013, 06:06 PM »
That is one sweet jetpack.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #30 on: Mar 22, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Koyaci, Moose'alor  ;D
That is one sweet jetpack.
this specific picture will also be on both my armour and weapon thread, but with other ones, so I admit its a semi-necro post...srry  :-X
some of you already saw these on fb

as you can see, my misile is still a tad bit tall...but it seems to work

the hoses are braided stianless but they look white because of the snow messing up the contrast
Here you can see the hoses going to the jetpack, the helmet being that far down wasn't intentional, the rim kept getting caught on the neck plates because the neckseal wasn't on right >.<

you may be slightly sketpical that this jetpack would be very useful with all this weight.....its called an afterburner  :P
...plus I often just use an assualt rifle style weapon, this is just my heaviest configuration.

looking at were the sling was on the back, thats not very good...I'll ahve to add a 2" plastic buckle to it so I can equipt it under the hoses and around onto the other side of my shoulder.

and no, the lights arn't on >.<

theres a huge smal advantage to be gained with the cape like this(was that an idium just now?)   with it behind the hoses the wind cannot ruin my day with its annoyingness.

the hoses DO, however- limit my mobility when I move my hands infront of me, i.e. to take my helmet off. What I'm thinking of is putting a couple loops onto the sleeves for the hoses to pass though.

« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2013, 04:06 PM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #31 on: Mar 24, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Just awesome work brother. Only thing I can say. Just awesome.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #32 on: Mar 24, 2013, 11:32 AM »
You need a Bigger Weapon !   :o  hahahaha 8)

Great Work ner'vod .....  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #33 on: Mar 24, 2013, 12:18 PM »
Sheeesh man. That is cool. You know what you need? Wrap around shins!

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #34 on: Mar 24, 2013, 01:46 PM »
That's awesome dude! Nice job!

I second Karvas on the enclosed shins though :D

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #35 on: Mar 24, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Sheeesh man. That is cool. You know what you need? Wrap around shins!

they actualy ARE a upgrade in the very near future, I recently got more stianless steel(jetpack build) so I'm going to make angular shin backs like on the Republic Commandos to accentuate the front, either that or I'll do standard round to match the gauntlets-depending on how the shins look I may even redo the gauntlet bottom halves in the block-ish style, all depends on how tehy look-Illl make a mockup and see...I intend on having powercells on the shin plates like Sev has, so lots of possibilities, now I am going to catch up and update my WIPs because I jsut got back from a troop.

HOWEVER
that can't happen until I get a new grinder(mine erupted into a ball of flames, remember?)   I plan on getting a new Mastercraft grinder this friday.

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2013, 02:12 PM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 25, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Just catching up again mate, everything looks brilliant bud  ;)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #38 on: Mar 25, 2013, 06:04 PM »
why thankyou  ;D

« Reply #39 on: Mar 26, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Have you trooped in this yet?  I'm curious how much it hurts after a long day of trooping!  I am worried about putting anything heavy on my back, even though I really want a jetpack.  That's an incredible job, by the way...very inspirational.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #41 on: Mar 26, 2013, 04:11 PM »
Have you trooped in this yet?  I'm curious how much it hurts after a long day of trooping!  I am worried about putting anything heavy on my back, even though I really want a jetpack.  That's an incredible job, by the way...very inspirational.
I did 3 days ago, nothing out of the ordinary.
 :-\

And by ordinary, I mean bruised pectorals from the plates, and the only slightly diferant thing was be unable to draw my beskad from it's sheath due to the restriction caused by the hoses, I'm going to see if there are any slightly longer hoses in production next time I'm at an establishment that sells braided faucet hoses. I have another troop this saturday, so i'll blackwash the hoses a bit once I fix the right gauntlet hose connection were teh nut eventualy loosened on me.

Too.

Much.

Awesome.

*dies*

I feel honoured: I share a similar opinion about your drawings  ;D

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #42 on: Mar 28, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Ok, so I spent a litle over an hour trying to make a board(circuit board) with multiple 555s on it based on some schematics a friend gave me. Upon enquiring to 4 other people, the schematics were no good. So the person who gave me the schematics(you know who you are) you are not getting your game DLCs back. stfu, your argument is invalid.

Other than frying $20 of parts because of a shabuire's osik'la schematic, not much to report, but I WILL tell you what I was trying to do.

rig beacon to pulse +1s/-1s   (1 second on.1 second off)     and put two switches onto the round parts on the shield generator, so when pushed they cause continuous on, or pulsing on and pulsing off with a 10uf capacitor and 10kOhm resistor to make the LEDs light up and then go dim with about 1s charging(or at least that's what the di'kuts schematic had)

Oh and if anyones been wondering, I've only rigged 2 555 timer circuits, but this is the video that taught me how.

« Reply #43 on: Apr 10, 2013, 06:57 PM »
This is just awesome and incredible work.
For someone who is new to these boards, i have seen and heard a lot of mention of blackwash, but your toothpaste technique I've is intriguing.
Could someone oblige and explain how to perform these two processes; materials needed, application and what not.
I have an idea of how both methods where used, but its always great to hear others explain how they did it step by step.
Learning from multiple sources is great.

"It is the unknown that strikes the greatest fear.  The Darkness and Shadows are my strongest Blade."
 - Korhan Ondar

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #44 on: Apr 10, 2013, 07:43 PM »
and the only slightly diferant thing was be unable to draw my beskad from it's sheath due to the restriction caused by the hoses, I'm going to see if there are any slightly longer hoses in production next time I'm at an establishment that sells braided faucet hoses.

something you may want to consider is motorcycle brake lines. they are a bit thinner than faucet hoses, but they are longer and a little more flexible, also they are available in a wide variety of colors of braided steel

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #45 on: Apr 10, 2013, 08:00 PM »
I did look into automotive stuff, but it was way pricier just by application than the faucet hoses.

Also;
I do believe I'm the only one here with a stainless steel jetpack...or at least the first?

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2013, 08:56 PM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #46 on: Apr 12, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Also;
I do believe I'm the first one here with a stainless steel jetpack...or at least the first?

Probably, because people tend to avoid having 100+ pounds kit...  ;)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #47 on: Apr 12, 2013, 11:42 AM »
actually, im replacing the angleiron frame with 1/4" aluminum soon. Just got some commision work that gets first priority.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #48 on: Apr 12, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Probably, because people tend to avoid having 100+ pounds kit...  ;)
I'm sure I could tranfer to a set of beskar armour with little to no transition period.

Oh and here is the circuit I made for it, had this installed just before my last event but had projects galore so I couldnt update my threads just yet.

this was very tricky to make due to my giant 140W Weller 8200 soldering gun rated for like......stained glass work  :o

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013, 02:12 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #49 on: Apr 13, 2013, 11:50 AM »
Dude, you are such a jawa!  :P
What is that? What's it gonna do?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!