Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nickel's OSDW Soft Parts

• 24 Replies

Nickel

• Death Watch
Nickel's OSDW Soft Parts
« on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:30 AM »
All of my soft parts progress will be covered in this thread.

I bought a pair of coveralls in charcoal gray. It looked a bit too light when I got it so I dyed it a little darker.  I removed the rear pockets and I am planning on using that fabric to make a closure for the "popped collar" so I don't need a separate neck seal.  I plan on using a balaclava anyway, so everything should be OK as far as coverage goes.

Boots - No idea but I do have some black shoes and leather gaiters. That might work, but not final.
Belt - I have a bunch of ammo pouches on a belt that I use for my Jawa bandoleer. I think I will use that for both costumes.
Sash- probably just a long strip of fabric wrapped around my waist.

Cape -Modeled after the one Tor Viszla wears.

I bought a bunch of light gray duck cloth/canvas/denim and used half for the cape and half for the vest.  I dyed it to a rich red with a mixture of RIT Wine and Scarlet, but I want it to be more of a blood red. The fabric wasn't wide enough to do a proper semi-circle cape, so I cut the fabric in half diagonally. I sewed it back together so that the wide ends were connected, giving me a rough diamond shape.  On the narrow end, I cut out the neck hole and hemmed the edges.  On the wide end, I let it fray but I may go back and clean it up a bit.  The cape is about 90% complete but I can't really do any more on it until my armor is closer to being finished.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of this yet.

Vest -   I prefer the Jango-style vest but I really like the quilting detail on Boba's vest, so I combined the two concepts.  I also noticed that in the comic book art, one of the Death Watch grunts had a couple of buckles on the side of his vest, so I decided to incorporate that detail also.  I also wanted a more complete vest, so I decided to add a lining.

I dyed the other half of the cape fabric a charcoal gray to match the flight suit.  I made my own pattern from my measurements and made sure I had enough extra for the hems.  Once I had cut out the front and back pieces, I also had to cut out a matching piece of batting and liner for each.  I then pinned all of this together and basted them together around the edges.

Then, I layed out the quilting pattern and began sewing each line.  :'(  This sucked and it took forever.  I decided to not quilt the back because it was going to be covered by a backplate and a full cape.

For the the shoulder pieces, I used two pieces of the main fabric and heavy duty interfacing.  I sewed the interfacing to one of the fabric pieces and trimmed the excess.  I then sewed the other fabric piece to the first on the side opposite the interfacing.  Then I turned everything inside out.  I marked parallel lines along the shoulder piece and sewed them.

I have all of the pieces done but I still need to put everything together.  I also need to figure out how I want to do my buckles.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemingway
Re: Nickel's OSDW Soft Parts
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:50 AM »
I shall be following this with interest. I am always interested in how people make their vests.

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way

BobaFiend

• "Put Captain Cargo in the Solo Hold"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Boba and Jango Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2012, 01:29 AM »
Looking good :) seems like you've done this before. I admire your mettle to stick with that quilting pattern, that looks tedious.

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Thanks.  I'm still pretty new to sewing, but I know enough to get me into trouble :p  Laying out the quilt pattern was tedious, but sewing it was worse because I had to fight the fabric the whole time.  Halfway through, I couldn't stand to look at it.  The thought of quilting the back piece was horrifying, so I put that off for several weeks. After getting some advice from the local guys, I decided that I didn't need to quilt the back since it would be mostly covered anyway.  That was a huge relief and I cranked out the back piece pretty quickly.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemingway

BobaFiend

• "Put Captain Cargo in the Solo Hold"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Boba and Jango Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2012, 05:17 PM »
Halfway through, I couldn't stand to look at it.  The thought of quilting the back piece was horrifying, so I put that off for several weeks.

That's why I have like five half done costumes laying around my craft room >.<

Dana Black

• Erlaubt ist, was gefällt
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:32 AM »
I think you've done a very good job so far.
Looks like you got really small spaces between the lines where you sew. I used about 1 x 1 inch squares. To prevent the fabric from shifting, you can make some lines stitching the layers together, which you later remove. Start in the middle.
Maybe you can see what I mean by looking at Xyyyr's vest.

QMU #021

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Thanks. Those lines are spaced a ruler-width apart, so an inch or slightly larger. I'm just fat so they look smaller. :P
I started at one edge and zig-zagged across.

Dana Black

• Erlaubt ist, was gefällt
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Yeah, mine was for my 12 year old Jawa  :D

QMU #021

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2012, 12:15 AM »
I worked on the vest today.  Front and back are assembled and the shoulder pads are attached.  It closes with snaps at the left shoulder.  Now I need to figure out the side closures.  I have buckles for both sides, but I'm not sure how to put them on.

Shoulder seam closed

This is how is should look once I get the armor attached.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2012, 01:28 PM by Nickel » Logged

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Very nice...!!!

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2012, 01:29 AM »
Looking GOOD 8)

I kid,I joke but.....I'm deadly serious

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #11 on: Apr 23, 2012, 10:44 PM »
Added buckles to both sides of the vest.  I wanted to include this detail from the comic book.  I found these really neat plastic buckles that have a metallic finish. The buckles are evenly spaced along the side and centered over the seam. I only attached two buckles on each side because I am following the artwork, but I think three would work better. I would say the vest is 90% done.  I still need to put a final hem in the bottom and figure out how to attach my armor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
No sense in double posting...
24 Apr 12
The snaps on my shoulder seam kept popping while I was test fitting the vest, so I added some velcro between them.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2012, 09:52 AM by Nickel » Logged

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 12:21 AM »
I have started adding velcro to the vest for attaching my armor (Hooks on the plates; Loops on the vest).  So far I have the backplate, collar and both shoulders attached.  I used industrial strength velcro, which I could only find in sticky back.  The sticky back allowed me to adjust the placement of the velcro and held it in place while I ran a stitch around the edge.  I used a heavy duty upholstery needle so I had very few problems.

I will add pictures later.
-------------------------------------------------
I may go back and add velcro to the "wings" ib the backplate.  I will also hem the vest once I get all of the plates attached.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:56 AM by Nickel » Logged
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 11:15 AM »
that is an awesome vest! how hot is it with the extra layers and all?
(Just asking cause Im planning a vest with some kind of foam inside to make ti look thicker)

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 12:49 PM »
I haven't worn it for very long other than to check the fit as I made it.  I took it off once I started to sweat, so I'm not sure how it will be after a while.  Even with the batting and lining, this will breath much better than a vinyl vest.  I added the extra layers because I liked the "thickness" of Boba's vest, so the extra heat is worth it.  I only used a single layer of cotton batting, so it shouldn't be too bad.

In other news....
I am currently adjusting the shape of the chest plates so that they fit tighter to the vest before I attach them. They were sticking out in a few places, so I had to tweak the shape a bit.

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 11:45 PM »
I attached my chest plates and diamond to the vest using velcro.  The belly plate still needs to be attached.

I tried to use as many big pieces of velcro as possible; then I would fill in blank spaces with scraps.

I never took pictures of the cape I did before I started the vest. It is mostly done but I will finish it up once everything else is ready to go. Here is the neck hole for now.

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #16 on: Jun 21, 2012, 11:50 PM »
Minor update.

I have made a tab for the collar of my flight-suit to cover the gap in front.  I used one of the pockets that I had removed.  No pictures, but I will take some once I get it attached to the collar.
It will be similar to the collar on the X-wing suit.

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Here are the pictures of the collar tab.

The Keldabe Necktie

I also made some straps for the wrists and ankles of the flight suit.  I left some space on one end of the strap in case I decided to sew them to the flightsuit.

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2012, 08:19 PM »
I made a holster for my DL-44 today.  Unfortunately, I didn't get too many pictures along the way.

I made my own pattern out of poster board and then transferred that to the leather. 

Then I punched holes so I could sew the holster together.

Once I had everything sewn, I wet the leather and put the gun inside it as it dried.  This should form the holster to the gun.

======================================================

I also mad a holster for my DE-10 but I got even fewer pictures.  :-[  The second holster went much faster and much easier than the first one.  I did have trouble making the pattern, so I didn't cut out the trigger hole until after I had formed the holster to the gun.

I didn't really plan the belt attachment method beforehand, so I had to make some belt loops.

I then dyed the holsters and belt loops. Once everything was dry, I riveted the belt loops to the holsters.  The holsters look black under certain lighting conditions, but they are actually a dark brown.  Some of the pictures include a black leather belt for comparison.

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2012, 01:08 AM by Nickel » Logged

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Aug 09, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Nice Vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Minor update. I haven't even looked at this costume since before C6, so I'm happy to have gotten anything accomplished.   I sewed the sides of my vest together because just overlapping them didn't look very good.  This is something Falin suggested when I posted pics of it earlier.   I admit this does look a lot better.  I can even slip the whole thing on over my head with the armor on it.

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2012, 10:02 AM »
Not bad at all with your holsters, but you could've gone in closer with the stitching.

You can see what i mean if you look at mine. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=16948.msg725793#msg725793

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #22 on: Oct 22, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Thanks.  This was my first attempt at working leather so I played it safe.  I bought a book on making holsters and followed their instructions.  The guns are fairly thick and the paper templates seemed too small, so I wanted to be sure the guns fit .  I will know better next time.

Nickel

• Death Watch
« Reply #23 on: Jun 04, 2013, 09:19 PM »
I bought some new boots and gloves for my costume.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Jun 05, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Very Nice ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!