Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ammo belt.....(pic heavy)

• 6 Replies

Phelan Jusik

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Ammo belt.....(pic heavy)
« on: Mar 22, 2012, 02:01 PM »
Ok I found a store that sells leather this last weekend and picked up a few pieces.

this is what was used to make all the little parts.  In the background you can see the piece for the belt.

Belt after buttons are on (will have to redo a few buttons didnt stay together on a few)

And my test pouch half way through sewing

And completed pouch minus velcro to seal upper flap down.

Complete novice when it came to putting this together.  I got the patterns off of the Dented Helmet site
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f28/jango-belt-pouch-pattern-10712/

So what do you all think?

M5: #22
B.E.A.R.D.S. #052

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Ammo belt.....(pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Novice or not, looks good. I would use thicker thread though. You can get a waxed thread which is used for sewing thick leather, but i can't remember what it's correct title is. The shop you bought the leather from should be able to help you  ;) .

Phelan Jusik

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2012, 02:10 PM »
Vod that is waxed thread lol used the smallest drill bit I have here right now so holes may look a bit big.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #052

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2012, 02:23 PM »
OK,  :D LOL

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2012, 03:50 PM »
the waxed thread is just that, waxed thread.

Remo, you may be thinking of artificial sinew, which is also a waxed thread but stronger. its what I use when sewing heavys.

yeah, hole size could be smaller, but its ok.

for those pouches, you should space the holes a little closer. I use a drawing compass or wing divider to get my spacing even.

invest is some gum tragananth and an edge slicker. helps those jagged cut edges look better.

it may help to sew the velcro on the closure, sometimes glue isnt enough when you have all that pulling.

overall, a great job for a first time. :D

you going to dye it?

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Yeah, artificial sinew sounds about right. i borrowed some off my dad to do my holsters. Really strong stuff.

Phelan Jusik

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Still debating if I should.  Guy said it will age to a golden color naturally.  But I know it is needing weathering.  Will look into getting those tools.  Any opinions on dyeing or not dyeing?

B.E.A.R.D.S. #052

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!