Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Moruts first bucket- Scratch build- Comments/ Advice welcome.

• 77 Replies

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Here are some pics of the helmet base I just finished today. I took elements that I like from a couple of buckets and mashed them together. Now keep in mind, this is still rough. It needs filling, sanding, all the little details and parts still.

This pic was harder to take than you would think. All I have is an SLR.... that means not so point and click... lol

Thoughts, comments?

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Moruts first bucket- Scratch build- Comments/ Advice welcome.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Very unique design!  I like it!  Just don't "birthday cake icing" it with bondo! :D  Hit a few areas to smooth them out, seams, those spots at the tops of the cheek under the eyes, but overall very nice work!

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Thanks vod! LOL, I have been using the bondo for a long time now. I know better than to use it like frosting. BUT, thanks for looking out for me.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2012, 04:08 PM »
ooo now that i like Vod ;D I shall be following with interest 

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jobatt

• Goes where the money leads.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Curious, what was your dome before hand? Looks sort of like the one I scavenged from a Cricket helmet.

Jobatt M'dano - http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=49720.0
Mando 0571 -  Events Trooped: 3 Unofficial, 17 Official

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Thanks vod! LOL, I have been using the bondo for a long time now. I know better than to use it like frosting. BUT, thanks for looking out for me.

Hehe, no worries!  I just remember some of the first scratch-builds to come out of Mercs always looked great until bondo time when folks seemed to just coat the things to the teeth with bondo. :D  It's one of those things now where I have to mention it or else somehow it will happen and I'll be like "ahhh...I forgot to mention it to them before they did it...drat"  LOL!

Curious, what was your dome before hand? Looks sort of like the one I scavenged from a Cricket helmet.

Looks like it might be a Skateboard style helmet.  Style as made famous by Tony Hawk.

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2012, 04:32 PM »
Lol Taglar, like I said vod, thanks for looking out for us!

@ Jobatt- it is a skateboard/ bike helmet. I just really liked the profile shape.

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2012, 06:07 PM »
My advice to you would be to remove the top part of the cheeks as they seem a little warped and use bondo and a mouse sander to get the level right between the tusk side and the earpiece side.

Hope that helps you.

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2012, 12:15 AM »
Now that is a pretty sweet design! I'm watching this with intense interest!  :P

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Adan Ordo

• The soon to be complete death watch mandlorian
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2012, 12:25 AM »
I love the design of the helmet

The reason for armor is for you can get close enough to a person with a blaster to attack him with your sword

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2012, 04:03 AM »
@ Saz- Alas, I can not. With the glues I used, I'm afraid that if I did try to take stuff off, I would be doing more damage than good. That being said, I think even with the warping, with some filler and LOTS of sanding I can get the right shape back.

Thanks! I didn't really design anything... more took the things I liked about a couple of other buckets out there and mashed them together.

Barbarossa Kad

• Keeper of the Boomstick
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Looking good always liked the squared cheeks

There is a method to my madness.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Willy Wonka

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Thanks vod! I always liked them too.

I've been busy today out in the work room. Put on some details, worked on the cheeks bones. Hopefully, I will be able to get it sorted tonight and be able to take some more progress pics.

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2012, 07:02 PM »
So here are some progress pics. Cheek bones reworked and some details added. There is still plenty left to do... lol

What I am calling the eyebrow

Built up the ear base some

Added a little flared lip from ear to ear across the back

My keyslot

With the detail piece that will be added later, along with some buttons in the box above it

I was thinging of maybe adding a small peaked strip running along the dome, only like 1/4" tall, any thoughts?

bioshutt

• Haastal Videk M.A. #027
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Ok this is awesome.
the flared lip is a nice touch.

Adam V. S.
Beskar'gam http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=39139.0
One mind, any weapon
My Dragons

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2012, 04:34 AM »
looks awesome Vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Somebody get me a shovel, I'm diggin' this. :laugh:

Ori Cabur

• Old Guard
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions Award for 75 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2012, 02:35 PM »
Excelant work Ner'vod! All the little details are coming out really bitchin! The key slot looks really cool.

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!

Ori Cabur

• Old Guard
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions Award for 75 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #21 on: Apr 03, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Thanks vode. I cant wait to get my kit done and troop with you Ori!!!

HELLS YEAH!!!

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!
« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2012, 07:54 PM »
So, I fiberglassed the inside of the bucket, and did a layer of just resin to the outside. Sanded, did some fill work, sanded, then did a quick coat of primer to be able to see where I needed to hit the bucket with spot putty and decided to snap a few pics.

Heres a quick pic of the ear, both are the same. Just basic Fett left ears. I made the ears so they could be removed.

Added the little detail to the face.

Is it missing something? should I add any more little details?

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Apr 13, 2012, 07:57 PM »
This ^ ..... is a Fabulous Build ..... ......  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Very nice!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!