Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tips to Mold a Fett style Back Piece

• 0 Replies

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Tips to Mold a Fett style Back Piece
« on: Apr 05, 2012, 11:00 AM »
First off:  I don't recommend trying a barrel curve.  You need a flat surface for the jetpack.

The Dented Helmet forum has a good gallery of Jango Fett, which shows how the backpiece is shaped & formed with the JETPACK ON.  This is a lot of help due to the high res close-up shots.  It doesn't give you the whole picture though because the jetpack is in the way.  Fortunately, I remembered the Kamino scene where Jango is climbing up the floating "building", and I took a few low-res screen captures from a youtube video:

While they're low-res, the lighting & camera angles allow you to see how the piece is formed to his sides and the curve of his back.  The middle & lower of the back is flat... like an arc doorway.  The portion above the "arc" is bent to angle towards the neck somewhat.  The sides are curved in of course an inch or two away from the edges.  The upper sides/shoulders are folded in at an angle towards the the collar, so that the shoulder portion contours with the curve of the shoulders better.

It's hard to get this close to perfect (due to the large size & the many curves of the back)... seems like the movies still had a problem with this piece, relying on the jetpack to hold it against the body.  I ended up attaching it to my armor at the shoulders, and THEN heatmolding it (while my wife pressed the remaining "gaps") against my shoulders better, as I pulled the bottom down & against my back for a better fit.

If you're not going the jetpack route, I'd highly recommend using a smaller style back piece in lieu of this, or a jacket/cloak that'll cover your back lol.

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2012, 11:03 AM by Kilryth » Logged
Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!