Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

I got my GB Helmet! So now what...?

• 36 Replies
Re: I got my GB Helmet! So now what...?
« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2012, 10:51 PM »
Okey...  So now I have masked off everything for the navy blue coat...  And tomorrow or Friday, the grey coat...  then all that will be left is the weathering.

Buy'ce: 95%
Weapons loadout: 75%
Beskar'gam: 90%
Soft parts: 95%
« Reply #26 on: Apr 28, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Ok, I skipped a couple of steps...

But here it is, now at 90%.  All that is left is to sand around the damage on the grey layer, charcoal weather, matte coat, glue in the visor, and (maybe) spray the inside with some plastidip.

For this to be my first major paint/weather experience, I am pretty happy with it. 

Thoughts?

;D

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Mandaddy
  • Bringing Vengeance to the Galaxy
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Award for 100 official invasions. 2016 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #27 on: Apr 29, 2012, 01:11 AM »
Looks pretty good, vod.  You did a nice job with the layering of paint.

Manda'galaar Clan Los Angeles, CA (USA) #0348      "Hell Hath No Fury Like Mando Vengeance"     M.A.J.I.C. #0051     B.O.M.B. #0013

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #28 on: Apr 29, 2012, 05:21 AM »
You've got the spots down ok, but you are missing the scratches, I see you've distressed and rubbed the paint a little, now you just need a low grit sandpaper to gouge the scratch wear and tear.

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #29 on: Apr 29, 2012, 09:15 AM »
Also a good layer of grime wouldnt hurt either.   Black chalk dust + sealer is a good method,  misting black paint is another.. there are many ways to grime up a bucket :)

« Reply #30 on: Apr 29, 2012, 03:36 PM »
Yep.  The scratches and grime are going on today.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #31 on: Apr 29, 2012, 04:14 PM »
Yep.  The scratches and grime are going on today.

Those are the things that make your helmet from an ok one to an awesome one ;) looking forward to seeing the Pics Vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #32 on: Apr 29, 2012, 05:20 PM »
And now...  I just need to get the visor in and (maybe) line the inside with plastidip.

Would you guys recommend plastidipping the inside?  Or just leave it be?  I am going to throw velcro inside of it to attach helmet pads to (using my IRL helmet pads)

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #33 on: Apr 29, 2012, 06:23 PM »
I plastidipped mine and it breathes lovely! So yeah, I would recommend it, helps combat backlighting in your visor as well.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Mandaddy
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Award for 100 official invasions. 2016 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 12:04 AM »
I did not "Plastidip" mine, so I can not say whether it is a good idea or not.  I did make sure to add a fan to mine so I could at least get some sort of air circulation.

Can someone explain the benefits of plastidipping the inside of the helmet, other than prevents backlighting?

Manda'galaar Clan Los Angeles, CA (USA) #0348      "Hell Hath No Fury Like Mando Vengeance"     M.A.J.I.C. #0051     B.O.M.B. #0013

Saz

• Hodor'alor
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 04:31 AM »
Kills smells, makes the inside wipeable on sweaty troops, stops helmet wobble as it is a gripping surface and is more asthetically pleasing. :)

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Kaden'Dha Runi

• Mandaddy
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Thanks, Saz.  I always just painted the inside and then added padding to get a snug fit.  I may try this on the next bucket I buy.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!