Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Dresdon's a softy

• 27 Replies

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Dresdon's a softy
« on: Apr 14, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Ok-here is my soft goods thread [title amy have been misleading, I am one hard--censored- shabuire.

"..and a Coke."
"Ok, Pepsi. Is that all?"
"F*** you!" *leaves*
that was just the disclaimer canceling out any unintended impressions.

Alright-so I have my battle ship grey military coveralls that I weathered by palying with copious amounts of...unnamed flammible powder..., small engine repair, and throwing it at my sister to make it seem really dirty. Naaah not really :P

So here are some pics of just the vest itself over some of my BDUs.

Front:

Back:

and jsut one side:

*bleep* you-those arn't girl curves-they are my over straitening my posture and my sister taking the picture befoer I was ready.

And now some with the flightsuit and gloves. Oh-and I made the vest out of an old leather motorcycle jacket, and spent my saturday....makeing that. All hand sewing!     I used this 20gauge black nylon thread-same type used to sew the soles onto combat boots to be brutaly specific.   And I will be adding more snaps along the zipper flap to keep it closed.

Front:

the sleeves look a little uneaven-that's just because of how one arm is going out to the side and the other is going straight down.

Back:

this pic makes mah shebs look big because my arms from elbow up are slightly back from my sides, and from the elbow down is going infront of me.

Right side:

Left side:

The gloves I'm useing are Klein K3 Journey Man Heavy Duty work gloves. I have removed/covered up all the orange.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
Re: Dresdon's a softy
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Looks ok bro, but it might be a bit more comfortable if you cut the sleaves up to the armpit.

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2012, 08:49 PM »
their actualy loose enough that they don't really constrict manouverability any more then arpit height. Plus I have bycept plates to go on there with velcro and webbing.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2012, 08:54 PM »
If they are a comfy fit for you bud ;)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:04 PM »
yeppers-How would I go about making a neck seal though  ???

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:09 PM »
Looks like yer flightsuit collar covers it mostly, but a balaclava would help.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:10 PM »
and WERE the osik do i get a grey balclava ?!?!?!

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:12 PM »
Make one ! LOL Its just a tube of material, we had headovers in the army which doubled as a balaclava. Also it wouldnt matter if it was black to match the vest.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Ache-too warm..............maybe i'll fashion some kind of...grey...velcro enlosure........explosive super-laser tube......that....also.......goes..........up to......actualy-let me see if ROTHCO makes grey spandex balclavs...from what I understand they are supposedly available in any colour that military garments come in...

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Ache-too warm..............maybe i'll fashion some kind of...grey...velcro enlosure........explosive super-laser tube......that....also.......goes..........up to......actualy-let me see if ROTHCO makes grey spandex balclavs...from what I understand they are supposedly available in any colour that military garments come in...

Exactly what i was aboot to say  :rolleyes:........... :laugh:

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:31 PM »
OMG-rothco does NOT make anything I can use for the neck seal from what I have seen  :'(

while looking in bandanas, I found this.   It is 100% cotton so I can dye it with ease [I hope]   Any Ideas?
http://www.rothco.com/general/index.cfm/Description/Black-Bandana-Mask/fuseaction/itemdetail/item/5323/subcat/74/prodid/90/from/left

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Looks ok bro, but ye dont need it.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:41 PM »
hmm.....what if I took a small flap of fabric from another pair of coveralls jsut like my current ones, and made it into a velcro strip just eenough so it covers the front of my neck& throat?

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2012, 09:55 PM »
Could work mate, but a balaclava is easier  ;)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2012, 10:03 PM »
I'll try the flap thing before the balclava.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2012, 10:33 PM »
It was just pointed out to me by my Chewbacca lamp that this vest has a hint of Micheal Jackson's Thriller the way it has they 2 \ / shaped strips of leather going down the front and back. I at first did not make this connection and just figured the would be extra reinforcement.    Upon my preliminary inspection, I noticed what apears to be spaghetti sauce on the bottom of it.   Oh-and anyone have any ideas on how to rid it of the smell of a sleazy montreal dance club?    (cologne, cigarets, coffee and what I think is old, mildew-ey car interior)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2012, 02:09 AM »
Oh and I have inquired to jarek tahl tracyne & greatskyriver about neck seals.

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2012, 06:58 AM »
Cool stuff bro, looking forward to seeing more ;)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2012, 08:51 AM »
For a lowly price  of $12, Jarek says he can make me a neckseal, such a great price; 1: return buisness, 2: recomend him to other people, and 3: I will take all my (clan of unnofical noobs) clan's fabric needs directly to him.

here is my concept of what I want

Dresdon Acacin

The. That is all.
« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2012, 11:23 PM »
well, I got a bit of work done on covering up my big "leather-face" cross stitchign down the front of the vest with some scraps of leather from the sleeves and attached them with a few dabs of gelled cyanoacrylate so it seems "seemless". Just because i don't want the stitchign to be visibly bwteen the plate you'know?

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2012, 06:34 PM »
well...........it apears while I was rinsing my flightsuit off, someone decided to do me a "favour", and pour a bunch of detergent in with it!    so now it's like brand new (minus a few grease spots on the thighs)    SO, I rubbed it all over the van, beat it with old tools like it owed me money, used it as a rifle cleaning rag, splashed around in a palstic bin full of blackwash, and I EVEN burried it in my yard with lots of organic matter like wood chips and greasy engine leakage graval.    \i'll dig it up next wednsday or something........  :rolleyes:

I'll post pics of my flak vest tonight

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2012, 07:59 PM »
I sewed the webbing across the chest&gut, next step with that is to cover it with black elather from the arms and do a bit of stitching under one arm were the previous owner did some fail sewing to attempt a repair.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Today I will be hemming the cuffs and collar of the flightsuite.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #23 on: Apr 26, 2012, 11:48 PM »
Oh yea-I got previously stated sewing done, and I will look into armour-ing the gloves.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #24 on: Apr 28, 2012, 08:31 PM »
I will need to upgrade the sipper on the vest. It's a cheap plastic generic jacket zipper and I don't trust it =_=

Gonna' go ahead and buy me a big--censored- brass ammo-belt zipper like the one on my M-65.  said zipper has never failed me-ever. so it should hold up well. I am thinking about putting snaps along the flap, but it will be covered. So should I keep the flap as-is?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!