Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Alta's Soft Parts

• 69 Replies

Alta

Re: Alta's Soft Parts
« Reply #25 on: Jun 23, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Yep, Thigh pockets are fine ;) .
Oops...^^; Well....uhh...hmm. TOO LATE FOR THAT!  :laugh:

MMCC #707

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #26 on: Jun 23, 2012, 02:01 PM »
Yep, you'll be fine, at least the main ones are gone ;) .

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #27 on: Jun 23, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Looking Good ;D Really liking this build

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #28 on: Jun 23, 2012, 03:47 PM »
Super cool! Keep up the good work. :)

Alta

« Reply #29 on: Jul 04, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Aaaaaannnnd another update! Finally got the leg wraps done though found out in intense lighting they appear to be somewhat non-weathered. Gonna try and work on that. Also need to add ultra tiny snaps to the red cloth portion that holds the wrap in place so they won't undo themselves. Outside of that I have the neck seal, a detachable side pouch for my phone that will have to go on my left hip area (I'm only making it for D*Con so my friends can keep track of me), and the holster and then I think I'm done with the soft parts :)

And now to spam some pics!

MMCC #707

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #30 on: Jul 04, 2012, 04:46 PM »
Very Cool Vod ;) top work

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #31 on: Jul 05, 2012, 02:06 AM »
That's almost TO cool!  :o :P

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Alta

« Reply #32 on: Jul 05, 2012, 03:09 AM »
Very Cool Vod ;) top work

That's almost TO cool!  :o :P

Thank ya both :) I'm trying to work really hard to finish up. Attaching those snaps I was talking about to the red straps right now. Tomorrow I'm going to hopefully start and finish the neck seal, finish the gun, and finish reinforcing the inner seam of the helmet. So much to do, so little time before Dragon*Con ><

MMCC #707

Gesai Primax

• Death becomes you
« Reply #33 on: Jul 05, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Great work! I love the attention to detail. Look forward to more! :)

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #34 on: Jul 05, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Great weathering on the tassels and loin cloth. I agree the legs don't come across the same in pictures and with them being closer to the ground would get much dirtier. If you have someone you can trust you could have them weather them while your wearing them or if your flexible enough you could do it yourself.  :laugh: ;) Then you would know the exact places to hit.

Also need to add ultra tiny snaps to the red cloth portion that holds the wrap in place so they won't undo themselves.

You'll be so glad you took the time to do this, as they would eventually unwrap themselves and drive you crazy. I speak from experience, I'm so glad I fixed mine!

Alta

« Reply #35 on: Jul 06, 2012, 01:49 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words and all of the advice! I'm gonna work super hard so that this thing turns out looking really great!  In any event, here is an update on the weathering effect for the leg wraps.

The first pic below has the old weathering on the left side of my calf and the new weathering done on the right.

Here is the old and new laying next to one another.

So what do yall think? Too dark, too light, just right? Just wanting to make sure that I get them weathered to where they look nice but at the same time they aren't so weathered that it looks like I never clean my gear. ^^; Also, the snaps are nearly installed on the red cloth tie pieces. I've kinda dragged my feet on them as I can't stand sewing on snaps. >< I'll be done by the morning though and, once I figure out if the weathering is OK or not, will take new pics to show yall how it all looks. :) More to come so stay tuned! lol XD

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2012, 02:58 AM by Alta » Logged

MMCC #707

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #36 on: Jul 06, 2012, 09:12 AM »
I think your just right now, as it comes across in the pictures. I think anymore and they may look too weathered in person. That's one thing you'll know when to call on as you get to see them first hand and know when it's starting to go overboard.

Are you adding any snaps or some other type of attachment to the top part of the main wrap to attach it to your pants? Have you had any problem with the main part slipping/slouching or just the wraps?

Alta

« Reply #37 on: Jul 06, 2012, 09:27 AM »
I think your just right now, as it comes across in the pictures. I think anymore and they may look too weathered in person. That's one thing you'll know when to call on as you get to see them first hand and know when it's starting to go overboard.

Are you adding any snaps or some other type of attachment to the top part of the main wrap to attach it to your pants? Have you had any problem with the main part slipping/slouching or just the wraps?

Many thanks :) I went overboard with the vest and the belt the first go round and had to clean the mess out of them to get them to where they are now so I've gotten worried with "over doing it". Mind you that current pic is with no flash so it will probably look even lighter under a flash so it probably is good as it stands.

The main wraps do not have any attachment thing as of yet. I have been holding them in place with a clip while I wrap them down with the tie pieces (which do a pretty good job holding them down). I'm thinking about maybe using some velcro in various places to help maybe hold em down a bit better. Thoughts? The reason I'm thinking velcro is that I've noticed I never wrap/tie any of these pieces the same way twice and so I think the velcro might be more forgiving but I'm not sure. I have a method of attaching velcro that keeps it from pealing off later (velcro+industrial strength glue+clamp for drying=stuck for life lol) so I'm thinking it might go over well. What do you think?

MMCC #707

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #38 on: Jul 06, 2012, 12:09 PM »
(velcro+industrial strength glue+clamp for drying=stuck for life lol) so I'm thinking it might go over well. What do you think?

LMAO I used the same method. :P I have knee high boots and my leather wraps velcro at certain points along the boots. I think you have everything well in hand! ;) Excited to see the new pics. :D

Alta

« Reply #39 on: Jul 09, 2012, 04:10 AM »
OK so I could really use some help with my neck seal. Unfortunately I can't upload pics as of yet cuz I'm currently out of town but the prob I'm having at the moment is making the skirt portion. Neck seal itself is fine. But dangit I just can't figure out how to get this stupid skirt thing to work. Any suggestions, tips, or tutorials yall know of? I found one for making the actual neck seal but not one for making/attaching a skirt to one that's already made. I could really use some help on this one. I've spent two days, countless hours, and ruind a whole mess of fabric. As dumb as this may sound, this thing is driving me absolutely crazy. ><

MMCC #707
« Reply #40 on: Jul 09, 2012, 05:08 AM »
for just the base that goes over your Shoulders, use the Christmas tree skirt method - start with a circle/oval a little bigger than your desired circumference cut a hole for your neck and a slit where you want the opening to be then finish edges as desired - make sure the hole for your neck is the same width as the same circumference as the width of your neck part

Alta

« Reply #41 on: Jul 09, 2012, 02:44 PM »
for just the base that goes over your Shoulders, use the Christmas tree skirt method - start with a circle/oval a little bigger than your desired circumference cut a hole for your neck and a slit where you want the opening to be then finish edges as desired - make sure the hole for your neck is the same width as the same circumference as the width of your neck part

Will it lay flat that way? Cuz that's one of the many problems I'm having with the neck seal skirt. It won't lay flat or it wants to be difficult when it comes to connecting it to the actual neck seal.

MMCC #707
« Reply #42 on: Jul 10, 2012, 02:00 AM »
For connecting to the neck seal, that depends on if you have it lined up right- dont let there be any gaps between the skirt and the neck part or you probably will have issues

as far as the skirt itself laying flat - it "should"... if it doesnt though, most people have that part under their vest or flightsuit, so I would just sew a dart in the crimp to make it lay flat. The seam will be hidden uner your vest/flightsuit

Alta

« Reply #43 on: Jul 10, 2012, 02:09 AM »
For connecting to the neck seal, that depends on if you have it lined up right- dont let there be any gaps between the skirt and the neck part or you probably will have issues

as far as the skirt itself laying flat - it "should"... if it doesnt though, most people have that part under their vest or flightsuit, so I would just sew a dart in the crimp to make it lay flat. The seam will be hidden uner your vest/flightsuit

Ah OK, I see. Well I'll give it another shot tomorrow night (assuming I can find the fabric tomorrow at Joann's). My flak vest was not made as well as I would have liked as I'm having issues with the skirt not being long enough to fill the gap as the opening for the head is too...deep? In any event, I guess this is just one of those things I'm going to have to fiddle with. Thank you for the help though I will definitely give this mehtod a shot. :)

MMCC #707

Alta

« Reply #44 on: Jul 27, 2012, 04:36 AM »
Thought I forgot about this, eh? NOPE! Lol. Just took a break cuz the neck seal was given me so much trouble. Went to do other things instead. Neck seal is still sittin on my ironing board. I hope to have it done by the end of this weekend. (Really just have to sew the skirt on). In any event, been workin on some other stuff. Just a little update but I wanted yall to know I'm still here lol.

Pouch for my phone for Dragon*Con. Gonna attach it tomorrow. I know this isn't in the design. It was kinda made out of a need for it. Goin with a group to D*Con and well, I'm the driver so...yea. XD But I've tested it on the opposite side of the holster and it kinda balances out my waist (ya know, since I'm going to have that HUGE pistol hanging off my hip lol).

And just to give yall a run down on what all is left. I have:

Head wrap: Should be starting VERY SOON! (So excited!)
Holster: Using the one Ohl'd Vart came up with. :) Already started on it. (That's it on the floor in the right bottom corner lol) Hoping to have it done by tomorrow night. (Hoping lol).
Neck Seal: Assuming this skirt finally works, I hope to have this done Sunday night.

And I think that's it! Gah, so close! Must finish in time! >< I somehow doubt I'll actually be able to finish all this AND have enough time left to become official. Here's hoping though!

MMCC #707

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #45 on: Jul 27, 2012, 03:26 PM »
Nice Pouch ;)

Alta

« Reply #46 on: Jul 31, 2012, 12:47 PM »
Pouch and holster are nearly done. Neck seal is STILL not cooperating though. Part of it is the design of my vest, which isn't privy to cooperating with the neck seal. So I tried to work on the vest. And it ripped. YUP! That happened. So I'm gonna try and fix it and redesign the shoulders. Gonna have two straps now over each shoulder so I can fold the top down and smooth out the neck seal. Also gonna add some of the fabric I'm suing for the neck seal to the collar of the vest to make a type of pseudo built in skirt thing. Ya....we'll see how this goes.

MMCC #707

Alta

« Reply #47 on: Aug 01, 2012, 12:29 AM »
Vest died. RIP, Mr. Vest, RIP...NOW TO KILL OTHER VARIOUS ARTICLES OF CLOTHING TO MAKE A NEW ONE! *whoosh!*

Turtle neck you say? Hole in it you say? No good anymore you say? Hmm....

Ya, sorry. Needed to be silly to keep from pulling my hair out. But seriously I think the vest is dead. Took a few pieces partially a part to try and fix something an now the darn thing doesn't want to go back together for anything. Yup. So I have some scraps and an old turtle neck that's less than useless. Or it was. Until I cut it up. And used it as a pattern. YUP!

Not sewing the sides together this time. Doin the elastic velcro thingy on the sides cuz I darn near killed myself clawing (that's right) into the old one. Till I stretched it out that is. And that stuff was linen. That's a lot 'o pullin to do that.

Elastic side thing OK With you guys? I have two kinds of nice elastic, a dark brown (like my old vest *sniff* ) and one that's the same color as my "flight suit". Since the vest is a medium brown that will soon be dark brown once I stain it, I figure dark brown ya?

Thoughts?

MMCC #707

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #48 on: Aug 01, 2012, 01:26 AM »
Whatever works  ;)  Honestly you could just throw together a "place-holder" vest and then upgrade to something better when you get the time.

Get 'er doonnee!  ;D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Alta

« Reply #49 on: Aug 01, 2012, 01:58 AM »
Whatever works  ;)  Honestly you could just throw together a "place-holder" vest and then upgrade to something better when you get the time.

Get 'er doonnee!  ;D

YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT JUST HAPPENED! IT FIXED ITSELF!!! It heard your southern phrase and was brought back to life! Bless you, Serim Merec, BLESS YOU! <(;A;<)

*Dances around room so happy she doesn't have to make another one cuz D*Con is 30 days away*

Lol sorry, but seriously it is fixed. And seriously, thank you for leaving me a nice little comment :) I read it and got that stubborn streak back in me and what do you know! I won the battle of wills! XD

Didn't get to make the adjustments I wanted, but I can wear it and it doesn't look horrible so I DON"T CARE!! I am NOT touching it again till after D*Con. Well, outside of velcro for plates and what not lol ^^;

MMCC #707

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!