Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armour tips for the bigger Mando

• 108 Replies

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Armour tips for the bigger Mando
« on: May 09, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Hi all,

I'd just like to start this thread by addressing the pretextural awkwardness of being "Big" by defining what being a bigger Mando means, I think a lot of members skirt around the issue to avoid offending people. I am a big guy, so I'm not so afraid to be open and honest about my size and hopefully break the last social taboo and talk about it, I also encourage you all to talk about it and put your ideas and discoveries forward.

I used to be a pro wrestler, so I weightlifted for a while to get my body big, once I stopped, well, my belly speaks for itself, but that's ok, regardless of my size, I am a costumer and kids don't really care.

What I do want to do is address some of the problems I see with other larger members, so let's drop the embarrassment and talk about costuming from a factual sense.

First thing to do is drop any sort of ideal apart from the CRLs, this is a CUSTOM Mandalorian site, you are not expected to fit in with social norms, you're not movie canon, so you are perfectly fine the way you are, you are aiming to become a member of a club where your individuality and contributions are respected. So stop comparing yourself to someone 2 sizes down from you and design your kit so it compliments your form.

Now, I do not claim to be the be all and end all of looking good in a kit, but I am happy with 90% of the photos of me because I believe my kit works for me and my size so that it is comfortable and moves with me.

This is me out of kit:

I am the guy in the Mercs shirt (naturally). I also happen to be standing next to the skinniest guy in the world, just to accenuate that I have a belly and wrestler's shoulders, my girlfriend loves me, I am walking to tackle my ever growing weight to beer ratio and I'm ok with it!

This is me in armour:

You may not agree with me but I look a little less beer belly and more rugged in the armour.

So, to help you bigger guys and gals, here are some tips that I think will help you to look good in your armour.

1. Girthbelt or a sash is essential, it smooths out the line where your gut overhangs your pelvis, it's a "thinning" tactic that has been used in posh dressing for centuries.

2. Make sure your gutplate (and vest) cuts off at your navel. I've noticed that some guys try to cover the expanse of their guts with larger plates, believe it or not the navel cut away working with the girthbelt or sash actually slims you.

3. You can modify plate design to slim you too. Niabi's kit shows you a way that you can also use armour plates to perform the same function as the girthbelt:

Note that Niabi's plates still follow the convention that the gut plate ends at the navel, he has also shaped the plates to trick the eye into following a thinner contour of his body.

4. Modify your collar plate for comfort and to make your shoulders look bigger. What I am saying here is that your plates can fool people into seeing your body in a different contour, you look (and feel, let's face it, we all want to look good in our armour) better. I cut the edges off my collar plate as they were sticking into the muscle where the pectoral meets the shoulder. Niabi's smaller collar plate makes his shoulders look bigger to the eye.

5. A cloak can hide love handles and back fat:

Here's me in armour:

and here's a picture where my cloak got snagged behind my jet pack, revealing my true girth...

I am so going to need therapy after this...

As you can see a cape can help hide the rear and help with the illusion of looking smaller than you really are.

6. Remember that Boba Fett wasn't really seen at the sides, he was a "front on" cool guy. There are very few shots of Boba side on, as most of his effect was front on, in fact the attraction of men is the front on view, so ensure that your front on view works the best it possibly can.

Anyhoo, those are my tips, if anyone's got further ideas, I know I'd be interested in them.

Ok, now for the ground rules:

1. I am opening this debate to frank discussion, if you are uncomfortable with your size or talking about it, then this thread may not be the best place for you.

2. Having said that, this club thrives on mutual respect and members should still be mindful about people's feelings when talking here.

Have at it guys!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:53 AM by Saz » Logged

Helmet builder and custom Maker, PM me for details or click here.

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
Re: Armour tips for the bigger Mando
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:57 AM »
I think that you look great in your armor. It hides the size well. This thread will be great for the larger mandos.

Also, what about darker plates? Black is slimming, correct?

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

K'raysh Cadera

• Hade ni Ikuze
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:18 AM »
Yay for us fatties!   :laugh:

Mandalorian Merc #427

Bubba D. Fett

• I reject your canon and substitute my own!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 01:19 PM »
Another thing to look out for is having a good fitted flight suit/coveralls for your kit, nothing too tight or too loose.

Krayt Clan - MMCC:485 - MAJIC:032 - MA:030 - MAD:001 - EMTS:047 - Graphics Guru - 40 Invasions

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Great idea Saz, I went ahead and stickied it.

Another thing to consider as a big guy is rather than trying to hide it, embrace it.

Im 6'06" 280lbs. and I carry my own fuel tank. I have alot of real estate to cover or leave blank in a costume. I have tried a variety of armor ideas. I started with medium coverage, moved to light, back to medium/light then back up to medium. All that time I always felt uncomfortable as I felt "naked" in my armor. I spent so much time trying to hide my size.

Then I had an epiphany... I went heavy armor. I embraced my real estate to make myself a walking costumed tank!

Renick

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08 PM »
1. As a big guy - This whole section is a win.

2. Add to the conversation
   -Make sure everything fits.  Nothing sows off your excess like parts too big or too small.
     Soft parts
     *too snug - Everyone can see everything, no hiding it - no matter how much armor
     *too loose - Adds to your bulk and extra fabric spills everywhere.

Armor
    *too small and you look like your trying to wear kids armor
    *too big and you can't move in it and it looks
    *Don't go light - Even with the correct size plates you have a lot of real estate to cover.
    *Must agree- there is no such thing as too heavy  :D

"Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la"
"No one cares who your father is.... Only the father you'll be" 
Aliit ori'shya tal'din 
"Family is more than blood"

OM# 373
BM# 30
M.A.J.I.C #55

Adenn Kyram

• There is no such thing as overkill only efficiency
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 06:25 PM »
This should be a very helpful thread as I am 6'5 & 425ish with a 24” neck and a 71” chest with 33” shoulder width so I'm pretty sure I count as a BIG guy. Lol  :D

M.A. #16-24er , EMTS #90 , M.A.J.I.C. #086 , M5SP #13 , M.A.D # 27 , E.R.A #13 , K.O.M.S#008 , B.O.M.B #19

Klynn Targh

• Fan favorite Wampa
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:06 PM »
5' 10", 350lbs.  I'm looking at making a wide kidney belt out of vinyl and multiple chopped up belts for my ammo belts.  Also, If you are a XXL mando, become friends with your sewing machine.  NOTHING comes in our size.  One last thing, big guns can also be slimming.  S'truth.

Aliit orishya taldin.

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 01:06 AM »
Thanks for starting this topic I'm certain it will help many of that are of larger stature as I like to put it. Would it be ok tonpost picks of ourselves as examples?

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Saz

• Hodor'alor
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Best Blaster - Official Member with best looking Verpine Shatter Rifle Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 03:54 AM »
If people want to do that, I see no issue. :)

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Ghostwalker

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 04:44 AM »
Saz I got a bone to pick with you!
You started off by saying you'd break a taboo but you didn't, Falin did... I did.

Guys stop trying to hide your gut, or "slim" it down. Embrace it!

Custom Mando... let's think about this for a minute, really think about it.

Boba / Jango repaint with surface mods?
no, that only works on guys with a shape approaching that of the actors.

I'm 6'2" and just under 300lbs, yep I'm one of YOU!
I drink diet soda so I can have my full-flavor, non-diet Supreme and Meat lovers pizzas.

I wear full armor that now wraps all around me and tucks under my back plate.
I had issues shaping my gut and upper chest to look the way I wanted, so I embraced a single vertical plate design. Think roman centurion and the old joke that they used to have sculpted abs so they could pour their bellies into them.

If you have the size... USE IT! Stop trying to be a skinny Fett mando.
Be that beer-guzzling, ex-wrestler or cop or whatever MANDO! In universe we are all essentially Civilians with a military fetish, civilians come in all shapes and sizes and so does their gear.
There is no shame in being a big mando who wears big plates!

And there is my bone to pick with Saz and many others. Your plates are too small. They float on the front of your chest and belly and you look great from the front... and nowhere else.
Many people don't seem to believe in resizing plates horizontally and just pick whatever plate size they need to make it all line up neatly on the vertical.
Guys if you have a belly.. skew those plates sideways. You don't have to sacrifice the standard cut design but make it cover more acreage horizontally. Then you have less to hide with a cape...

Let's think back in universe, what oversized mando would bother with plates only on the front?
One shooter off center and you'd be toast. Custom plates would be the order of the day, no?

Be honest with yourselves, identify your weakness and work with it... don't just try to cover it up because you are selling yourselves short.

Saz

• Hodor'alor
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 06:08 AM »
So in a round about way you're saying my kit looks rubbish?

Look, I've broken the taboo by addressing the issue and offering my advice to how I would achieve a similar slimming effect and allowing larger members to feel comfortable about talking about their size in response to finding the best solution for them. Falin's method also has merit, but whilst I respect that point of view, if I personally wanted to spend the time strapping plates to myself I'd have joined the 501st.

Whilst you are free to have your opinion, others don't share it, my plates are fine and are shaped to my body, my sash covers my gut and I am well above crl compliance. A couple of days ago I was talking to larger members of other groups who saw my kit and decided that on the form I presented, they are looking to join based on the fact my kit looks good despite me being fat.

Picking a bone with me is making the assumption you are right, and while your opinion has merit for some members, let's not turn this thread into a pissing contest please?

This thread is for people to make a decision for themselves by members showing examples of how it's done and discussing ideas. There is no one way to solve the issue, which is why I put this thread up in the first place. So, instead of taking a crack at how other people have decided to do the issue Ghostwalker, try being helpful and posting your kit up, so you can at least show them the way you think is best to covering that girth.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:25 AM by Saz » Logged

ITYS Counter now at 177.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 06:51 AM »
I think the plates in these photos fit just fine...

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 06:56 AM »
Another thing to think about is the use of color.  The colors you use will greatly enhance, or subtract from your overall "largeness".  Basically, your creating an illusion based on color.

The first rule of color for "bigguns":  Less is more!

To use Saz's kit as the example.  He's using black for his flight suit and secondary paint apps, which create a blending effect that effectively makes him look thinner from certain positions.  Another plus is the use of primarily horizontal stripes on his torso armor paint apps, which have a slimming effect.

Finally, using the red girth sash draws the viewers eyes away from what's around the belly and instantly into the ammo pouches.

Try to stick to 1 primary, 1 secondary, and 1 (maybe 2) accessory colors. 

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 01:31 PM »
Saz, thanks for posting this.  I think everyone here has covered all the topics I would have brought up, but I'll probably post a few pics of myself later with examples of how I utilize my bigness. :D

Vardøger "Var" Wraith

• MMCC Catalog #: 0580
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 02:13 PM »
Good thread Saz, thanks for the tips.

Any we're "fluffy", not fat.  :P

Mav oya'la Clan - Eastern Sector - Dirtside Detachment

"If you've earned a death mark, we'll be seeing each other."

M.A.J.I.C. #079

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Ive got a bit of a gut, you can see it side on but the leather vest and belts hold me in fine  :D

Get the angle right in pics and you lose the beer belly.

Ghostwalker

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 03:54 PM »
So in a round about way you're saying my kit looks rubbish?

nope I wouldn't go as far as saying it looks rubbish. It looks great front on and probably from the back as well. look at the side shot though and tell me if you think it looks optimal. You KNOW that is the weak point as you've tried to hide it with a cape.

Look, I've broken the taboo by addressing the issue and offering my advice to how I would achieve a similar slimming effect and allowing larger members to feel comfortable about talking about their size in response to finding the best solution for them. Falin's method also has merit, but whilst I respect that point of view, if I personally wanted to spend the time strapping plates to myself I'd have joined the 501st.

okay true, you DID kick this off and I should have given you kudos for it in my original reply.
Yes, I can see where being a walking tank doesn't appeal to everyone.

Whilst you are free to have your opinion, others don't share it, my plates are fine and are shaped to my body, my sash covers my gut and I am well above crl compliance. A couple of days ago I was talking to larger members of other groups who saw my kit and decided that on the form I presented, they are looking to join based on the fact my kit looks good despite me being fat.

awesome! Glad you inspire others to get into this!
Your plates ARE shaped to your body, I just feel you'd ROCK wider ones.

Picking a bone with me is making the assumption you are right, and while your opinion has merit for some members, let's not turn this thread into a pissing contest please?

I should have remembered that tone is not conveyed. When I said i wanted to pick a bone with you it was intended on a much more light hearted tone than what I brought across. My apologies Saz!

This thread is for people to make a decision for themselves by members showing examples of how it's done and discussing ideas. There is no one way to solve the issue, which is why I put this thread up in the first place. So, instead of taking a crack at how other people have decided to do the issue Ghostwalker, try being helpful and posting your kit up, so you can at least show them the way you think is best to covering that girth.

Fair enough.

Dral Buurenaar

• Dralkotep Cyareakaan
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Saz love this post. I'm 6' 1" and 270lbs. I think these points will help me immensley (No pun intended) to make my kit a comfortable success. Thanks!

Ship: Burk'yc bora [Risky Business]
Co-pilot: N8-R10 [Nate Arten]
Manda'galaar / MA#045

Boz Ving

• The Hero of Jakku
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 09:41 PM »
Great thread Saz! I think I have all yal beat though. I am 6'1" and 400+ pounds. I was looking for a costume to wear to cons and I kept coming up short (lol). I looked at super heroes (too big), clones (too big), and stormtroopers (again...too big). Then a buddy emailed me a pic of....wait for it...none other than Saz! I said to myself "I can pull that off" and so I searched for "custom Mandalorian armor" and, well, the rest is history! That is what I love about this club...there is room for everybody. Big, small, short, or tall...custom beskar'gam can be made to fit any body type.

As has already been stated, there are 2 ways to deal with size. Hide it or embrace it. Both work and both can be made to look awesome. For my first build, I have chosen the latter. I wanted to look like a walking tank. I wanted to be a "mountain of Mando". Here is one of my app pics.

I'll start from top to bottom with the things I did to compensate for my size:
1. Shoulder-I made the shoulders oversized and made them stick out horizontal instead of laying along my arms to make me look wider up top.
2. Cape-As Saz said, it covers up back fat and big butt.
3. Vest-I used a padded shipping blanket to hide my unruly curves.
4. Legacy Plates-Falin and Ohl'd Vart sold me on this design. The tapered plates draw the eyes inward and take the focus off my girth.
5. Stripes-Ask any fashion guru and they will tell you vertical stripes are very slimming.
6. Pouches-My pouches serve the purpose of a girth belt or sash. They cover the transition from my gut to my lower body.

The most difficult thing for me has been the flight suit. In order to get one that fit my girth it was too big everywhere else. I had to add velcro to the waist so I could double it up so the torso wouldn't be so long. I also had to have the lower legs taken in. I took in the arms and upper legs some too.

Part of what I like about this hobby is overcoming the different challenges thrown at me and making the best kit possible for me. In this kit, I embraced my size. In my next kit, I'm gonna do my best to hide it. If anyone has anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:26 PM by cpoplayer » Logged
"The armor I wear is 500 years old. I reforged it to my liking, but the battles, the history, the blood, all lives within it, and the same goes for every Mandalorian."-Sabine Wren

Dral Buurenaar

• Dralkotep Cyareakaan
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 10:07 PM »

I have always loved this kit. Kel looks completely hard core Mando and he has very standard looking plates. We just have to play with a layout that either hides or accentuates what we want.

Ship: Burk'yc bora [Risky Business]
Co-pilot: N8-R10 [Nate Arten]
Manda'galaar / MA#045

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 01:36 AM »
Thank you for making this thread, Saz!  There really are a lot of unique challenges for the tubby Mando to overcome before he can pull off a good looking kit.
I am 6'2", close to 400lbs and I'd say most of that weight is in my gut.  It's huge.  I tried enlarged plates, but there are a lot of problems with that.  Simply enlarging the templates doesn't work at all.  Stretching them doesn't work either.  We're not just taller than the Fetts or wider but far more 3-dimensional.  When you enlarge the designs you run into certain spacing and alignment issues that are hard to correct. 
To be honest, if you're a big guy there WILL be a big exposed spot on your sides.  Unless you try to modify your back plate to wrap around to the front or try some side plates or entirely new designs, the traditional Modern Era armor will leave that exposed area that Ghostwalker is talking about.
The way I worked around it was fairly simple.  I used a shoulder cape on my left side that covers it, and I keep my weapon in my right hand so my arm is usually bent or the weapon helps to obscure the lack of armor.
It's not a cheat because we aren't making real armor.  We're making costumes, and costumes are supposed to look good.  You gotta do what you gotta do to look good.

Something else I tried is... less conventional.  I've not talked a lot about it because I'm not entirely sure it's a great idea for everyone.  It can cause you to overheat because it's another added bit of insulation to an already hot costume.  On the other hand, I'm so enormous and out of shape and covered from head to toe in animal skins and a thermal jump suit, I'm constantly on the verge of overheating.
I made a fake chest out of an old shirt, styrofoam and duct tape. 
I made a manzier.  Or perhaps it's a bro?  I took some styrofoam sheeting and sat it over my chest, resting on top of my bulbous gut.  I proceeded to sculpt a fake chest that was fairly realistic and helped to bulk up my my upper body so my torso would be less pear shaped.  This prevents the look I've seen a time or two where the ab plate seems to sit on top of your belly.
Once I had it shaped, I used duct tape to tape it onto my shirt, then folded the shirt over the foam and taped it all again.  It's withstood a tremendous beating but it smells fuuuunn-ky.  I still have full mobility and it's actually very comfortable.

Next, as has been mentioned, I've also used a girthbelt to cinch in my belly a little.  And my ammo belt sits lower on my hip, basically under my belly, and the pouches help to make the gut less defined.  It's less obvious that it's a big gut.
Here's a few pics of my kit:

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531

Ghostwalker

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 05:07 AM »
Blackbird I did something similar with my current chestplate though mine is hollow.
Even though my gut sticks out further than my pecs the one piece plate is almost near vertical.
The plate curves enough at the sides to hide most of that empty space so you cant see through and my flightsuit fluffs out enough to further hide that air pocket.

lets take a look at my progression to date in images with an emphasis on side shots.

plates were just too small, especially the ab sections.

app photo with previous chest plate but new abs. abs are now large enough but note the angle of the chestplate.

new combined chest/ab plate.

wraps further around the side than the original templates

here you can just see a bit of the empty area behind the actual chestplates.

im going to post this and then go looking for pictures of the latest iteration with my side plates slapped in.

edit1:

I'm sure I have a better shot of the side panels somewhere... but I can't find it.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 05:14 AM by Ghostwalker » Logged

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 02:28 PM »
I don't understand why Saz has used a pic of me  ??? im really supper skinny  ;) i just hide it under my flab to keep it safe  :rolleyes:  :laugh:

One tip from me to help hide it ;D i have a V shape panted on my plates which i feel helps create the allusion of looking thinner than i am. ;D

That and i do up my girth belt really Tight  :laugh:

Iv been thinking of adding "Side" Plates to my vest in an attempt to brake up the side of me a bit. any one tried that with success ? 

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

No'saj Huune

• Nomad in Killeen/Ft. Hood
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 02:33 PM »
I'm in the process of trying that out with my Legacy kit, hence the reason I haven't posted my pic yet.  But someone has, just can't remember his name  :(

Those who wander aren't always lost.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!