Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Anyone have a Fake Double Sleeve?

• 5 Replies

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Anyone have a Fake Double Sleeve?
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:59 AM »
Fake Double Sleeve Option 1

Mom2Mando showed me a trick to make a fake Double Sleeve, which is basically just placing approximately a 1" horizontal pleat all the way around the flight suit sleeve, so that it doubles up & looks like a second layer.  She suggested that I place some elastic inside of the pleat, to make a sharper edge & give it some weight; but not to stretch the elastic.

I can then feed my gauntlet hose tubes up underneath the pleat & attach it to material inside the sleeve (which will be sewn at the shoulder seam, hidden by the vest)

Has anyone used this method & have photos of it?  Any potential problems you can see with this?  I know Falin Skirata had a method where he detached the sleeve & reseamed it similarly, but this seems easier.

Double Sleeve Option 2

Cut the flight suit at the elbow, seam what's left into a short sleeve.  Sew a breathable liner-type material (mesh or cotton) onto the long sleeves that were cut off.  Sew the new long-sleeves inside the shoulder seams.  The result is a real double-sleeve with really good air ventilation.  The gauntlets will hide the sleeve bottoms.

This option is a little harder, but seems very good for Florida.  What are your thoughts?

Jark'osa Hauza -- Mandalorian Gunslinger

Photos , Short Biography , Armor Build thread

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Anyone have a Fake Double Sleeve?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Either method is fine, just make sure they are of the same material.  ;)

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Thanks Remo. :)

Lol that's why I'm having to resort to this alternate method of attaching them.  I have a nomex flight suit (which is more comfortable but less breathable than poly/cotton ones I've found).  Can't find nomex just anywhere, so I would have to buy a whole new flight suit.  Seamripped all the pockets to reduce weight & increase comfort, but it's not enough material to make another sleeve.

Leaning towards Option #2 because it gets so hot in Florida... seems like the sports jersey mesh & gap between the sleeves would provide good ventilation.

BTW one of the upgrades I'll be performing is cutting out holes behind all the armor & placing the same sports mesh behind it to allow for some ventilation.  Won't provide a lot, but every little bit helps in Florida!

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:32 AM »
I use a 2 piece Dickies (shirt and pants) for my flightsuit. I bought a long and short sleeve shirt, cut the short sleeves off of that shirt and had them sewn over the long sleeve shirt sleeves.

Jark'osa Hauza

• Jark'osa Hauza
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 12:36 PM »
I use a 2 piece Dickies (shirt and pants) for my flightsuit. I bought a long and short sleeve shirt, cut the short sleeves off of that shirt and had them sewn over the long sleeve shirt sleeves.

Yours turned out good!  That's the best method for standard material, especially if you can just buy the top.

I don't want to buy more material b/c Nomex is hard to find & don't want to buy a whole new suit.  Plus it's not very breathable.  I had cut the pockets off my suit to reduce weight & help with breathability, but it's not enough material to make good looking double sleeves (without frankensteining it).

So the faux sleeve is a better option for me. :)

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Summer suit. Air force flyers coveralls.  You can get them in short sleeve. Ask your local gijoe Surplus about damaged suits. Find a costume shop that dose rentals. Get a junk suit. Sew long sleeve under short.
Every costume shop and gi-joe gets damaged suits and goods. They can't sell it so they end up trashed.
no need to match or buy two suits. Just beat some shoe leather and ask around.  It can be hit or miss. But worth a short.
you can also make or buy a cooling vest. Simple thing thar holds icepacks in. Pockets.  Wear it under your suit. Freeze the packs flat and allow for them in your vest and armor placement.
I find a ninja mask with a helmet fan dose wonders as well. A wet cloth across your neck hidden by the necksseal also helps cool you.

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!