Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jacad's boots V2

• 24 Replies

Jacad Moonstar

• The Ghost of Alaris Prime
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Jacad's boots V2
« on: Jun 14, 2012, 09:30 PM »
My Boots are Demonia Gravel 14s, I've had these boots since Middle school and they still fit me, a little large but good. These boots are steel toe and I think they are steel heeled. They haven't given me any problems when I deicded to use them as my V1 Kit's boots. Now, I'm begining to progress to Level 2.

After some thought, I decided to add Toe spikes, following Boba Maker's tutorial, and just have Jango Styled Boot plates (I remember seeing one merc use small shoulder bells, instead...can anyone fill me on this?)

So the first thing I'm gonna do is give them a nice leather wash, just to help prolong the life of the leather. I also got dust collecting in some spot I don't want it. (I'll natural wather my boots later)

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2012, 10:57 PM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

♫Springtime for Vader and Palpatine! Winter time for Alderaan and Hoth!♫

Jacad Moonstar

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Re: Jacad's boot, V2
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2012, 09:35 PM »
As I'm washing, I'm going to show what I got for my toe spikes. It isn't exactly like his tutorial but it's close.

What I got here is a bar of steel you use for fences. I can apply a certain amount strength to cause it to bend. With my dremel blade, I'm certain I can cut pretty good. I happen to have a diamond rotary blade.

I also got a 3/8 steel rod with some minor grinding and hard brushing. I did some grinding on the ends to see how the spikes would turn out. I like what I'm seeing.

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2012, 10:18 PM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

Re: Jacad's boot, V2
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2012, 10:39 PM »
After some translations of measurements.

The strips are 152mm long or 6 inches

The bars that bend are 47mm or 1.75 inches while the middle, being 58 mm is 2.5 inches

Here they are

Now following the tutorial, I must cut half the depth of the steel. I'm not sure if a regualr dremel blade can do it...

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

Re: Jacad's boots V2
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2012, 10:56 PM »
New roadblock, due to the steel's hardiness, I won't be able to bend it even when the sides are halfway cut. I need a vice in order to bend it. XD

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2012, 11:10 PM »
And here it my punishment for trying to do it by hand...  :-[

My boot doesn't have a flat front, so one thing I need to do is either find a light metal of the same width or with care, try to bend the middle section to fit the boot

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2012, 09:50 AM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

Morut Naast

• Oya Krayt!!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2012, 11:44 PM »
You know, the same thing happened to me with one of mine. I just used my best epoxy and glued it back togeather after I finished the rest of the bending and shaping. It is holding just fine. But... I havent done a troop in them yet, I just wear them around the house for hours... lol

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Well, After returing to the drawing board, I found a solution. I must reverse the measurements of the 6 inch strip. Where the sides will be 2.5 inches while the middle is 1.75 inches. This will add three quarter inches to my steel strips, but it's not gonna bite me. This will actually work much better.

So now, I must cut two more strips and space them before I begin to trim th edges to bend. This time, I'll need a vice, since this is steell i'm dealing with. My only concerns at the moment is this going to be an issue as I walk about. These boots are a bit big for my feet but I've never had any problems with them.

I am starting to get second thoughts about making Toe spikes for my boots...unless there are other methods I can use. The rubber portion of my boots is barely 1/2 inch

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2012, 09:55 PM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2012, 10:04 PM »
My Original plan was to mix Boba with Jango. Like Boba Fett, there is the Toe spikes, but like Jango fett, there is the boot plates

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Here's my toe plates, just need to drill and screw

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2012, 12:08 AM »
Just finished putting screws in one boot. The mount can still move it up and down. With enough force I can take the mount off with alot of force. Since the mount can now stay still thanks to the screws, I'm going to filled the cracks with epoxy filler, If I know what to get exactly.

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2012, 02:23 AM »
Finally after screwing the last mount for my left boot, I test walked around in my boots to see if there are any immediate falts. I took a small walk and a little jog and nothing seems to be a problem.

Here are my boots with my mounts on them, now I must find some type of epoxy filler to fill the cracks. I'm thinking about bondo, even though it isn't my favorite method. I also have mighty putty, but I feel that'll be more messier than bondo.

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2012, 02:34 AM by Jacad Adfai » Logged
MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2012, 02:33 AM »
Here's a little future foreshadow of what I got in mind, with my V1 Shin and boot plate

The only difference is that my Flightsuit will cover most of my boot, due to the straps and buckles. Also, I will have gray ankle spats between the shins and boot plate to add color since my boots are black and my armor is black.

I'm still tearing hair on how am I going to attach my boot plates without them handicapping my movement. I'm thinking about the Jango method that involes two straps and snaps, but I don't want my plate to flop around since it's sintra, not metal. This is so I don't look silly as I move, crouch or whatever requires my boot plates move accordinaly to my movements. My quick thought solution for this is to find something small and weight to make my plates look heavy, to copy the characterisitcs of Beskar. I will apply the same to move of my armor.

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #13 on: Jul 03, 2012, 07:01 PM »
I am, I just need to hard brush the rest of the metal rod i have. Each spike is going to ba 1.5 inches, and flat on the tip. I currently don't have tools at the moment to cut the rod yet. I would use wood instead, but I'm not a fan of the idea of using wood instead metal for my toe spikes.

Once I'm all done, I'll spray paint the mount and spikes my secondary color which is green. Giving the boots a little more personality.

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #14 on: Jul 03, 2012, 07:02 PM »
That being said, Last night I decided to use my mighty putty to fill the spaces between my spike mount and boots.

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2012, 05:24 PM »
Cuz I don't have tools to deal with my steel toe spikes, I'm going to quickly improvise. Following TK409.com's Toe spike tutorial, I'm going to use wooden dowls. As much I'm not crazy about using wood, I can say it's easier to work with with the budget I'm on.

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #16 on: Aug 03, 2012, 08:28 PM »
*Update* I just got wooden dowels and got them sharpened, now I need to cut the sharp edges to flatten the tips, then with my dremel, I'll cut them in the angle I need them

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #17 on: Aug 03, 2012, 11:49 PM »
Here's my toe spikes just after super glue, i strained so much to make sure the spikes weren't all over the place

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #18 on: Aug 04, 2012, 05:24 PM »
I Just finished painting my 2nd coat of metallic silver on my toe spikes/ toe spike mounts. Towards the sunset i'll apply a clear coat.

Quick question: When I use clear coat with my metallic undercoat does it matter what type of coat I use? I noticed when when I use clear coat satin, a sort-of milky texture appears. Is that Normal? Should I use Gloss coat instead? I am using all Rusteoleum paint, by the way.

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Here are my boots now after applying some masking fluid for weathering effects. Now the last part is giving it a coat of my dark green. Detailing such as blackwash will come later

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2012, 09:45 PM »
And here they are!

My spikes fell off a few times even after a few doses of Superglue. I decided to use mighty putty and now they are guranteed to not go anywhere. Problem is, I got to repaint where I applied the putty

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #21 on: Aug 07, 2012, 02:15 AM »
Now, my last portion to do with my boots is boot plate attachment. Armor attachment with boot plates seem to be my biggest bane since I'm trying to see what other mandos did to attach their plates.

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #22 on: Aug 11, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Well, after some browsing, a merc named Calidus Dartome had a wonderful idea for boot plate attachment, use picture hangers!

His link is here

So, getting some small picture hangers, super glueing them to my newly repaint boot plates (Which I'll paint black and weather later), hook them to the laces of my boots and viola!

All I need to do after painting my plates is tighten the hook so they will gurantee to stay still. (I'm thinking about adding small weights to the end of plates to retain the heavy metal look)

one of my goals is to keep my armor attached while suiting on and off, so I don't have to fret about putting on and putting off armor, reducing suit up and suit down time.

This is my boots now without feet in them, lol....I am now thinking about using Boba Style Ankle spats, I'm going to cover most of my boots with my flightsuit anyways, but I think a mixture of Boba style and Jango would be interesting.

MVS Founder

Jacad Moonstar

« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2012, 12:59 AM »
Finally got Ankle spats. I could now say I've completed most of my boots. Just need to paint the boot plates black with weathering.

A Future foreshadow for where my shin plates will go...Need judgement if this looks right or not.

MVS Founder

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2012, 08:23 AM »
Nice ;) .

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!