Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

"Alternative" to boots?

• 10 Replies
"Alternative" to boots?
« on: Jul 08, 2012, 07:03 AM »
Hey:)

I have a slight problem. Having done years and years of swimming competition in my youth, my calves are hyper-developped, and, as a result, no pair of boots ever fits me. Anything past the ankle never fits (and believe me, i've tried TONS of boots)

I was wondering if, as a hunter, i could "cheat", somehow.

I mean by that getting ankle-high "boots"/ shoes and cover them between the foot and the knee with faux fur (or real fur if i can find anything suitable), and tie that "legwarmer" with strips of leather (a bit like Blackbird did)..

Would that be a solution to my problem?

Thanks for your help!!

Am Vindam

• Cat # 0761
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: "Alternative" to boots?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2012, 07:08 AM »
I don't think anyone ever said anything about having actual boots. As long (as far as I know) you don't have laces/zippers, etc showing, and they aren't blatantly a tennis shoe, you shouldn't have a problem wearing shoes.

Vagabond Nexu

Elegant Mando's Tea Society #055
B.E.A.R.D.S. #066
R.A.M. #010
Nerf-Herder #004
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2012, 07:18 AM »
It's just that only the word "boot" is used... never "shoe"....
So i assumed that boots were an actual requirement..

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2012, 08:36 AM »
I use a pair of dress shoes, that are just over ankle high, they look a lot like the boots actually warn by Boba in ROTJ, the trick to covering that up, is to wear shin guards and armor that will cover that up. Nobody will ever even question it, so long as they look very boot-like.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2012, 09:45 AM »
Yep, what they said; the word 'boots' is always used because the footwear in question can't be sneakers or the like, however, nothing states that the boots have to be any particular height. They do make boots that only go to the ankle or a little past, mine, for example. If you look at the back shots you can see where the pants are tucked into them. Likewise, Boba's boots didn't go much past the ankles either, and were closer to a sneaker than a boot when you get right down to it.

Like Cando said, just make sure whatever you find looks boot-like.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Thalia Solo

• Fear is a choice you have made.....
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2012, 09:56 AM »
my hubby has 20 inch calves so i know your issues what he was going to do was buy boots and cut them up both sides and then rivot leather with buckles over the top to give him the room he needed then we got lucky and found him some engineer boots that come up to the bottom of his calves and work great

MMCC # 515

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2012, 04:34 PM »
You could also try costume boot covers. My first set of armor, I had pirate boot covers, but because my calves were so thick, I had to have those adjusted and re-strung. The problem that everyone faces is that costume companies hate people that aren't average sized, those of us who are thicker, be it in muscle or stomachs will always have a challenge of finding things that will fit us properly.

GreatSkyRiver Falco

• Haamyc ner nu'amyc
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions

OriKebiin'traYustapir
Victory, not vengence.
reality is a hologram created by our minds.
M.A.J.I.C # 008

Kora

• Queen of the Winter Harvest
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2012, 04:06 PM »
Yeah, my first several pairs of boots were all ankle high. In large part because I also have a hard time finding tall boots that not only fit my calves, but fit them and still let me tuck pants in. lol

Heck, even Boba and Jango themselves use ankle high, which is actually a secondary reason I stuck with ankle highs originally.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
- Mal, "Firefly"

Kora Solusar/Tiika Ruslin/Vaya Sinar Mendrosè
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Thank you all for your kind help!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Jotun

• The world's slowest builder
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2012, 11:10 PM »
http://www.redbackboots.com/

More options.  Ive worn these at work for some time, and they are comfortable for lots of standing and walking.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!