Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Custom Blasters WIP

• 11 Replies

Skittles

• I am Skittles
Custom Blasters WIP
« on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:54 PM »
So to go with a suit of Beskar one should probably have a weapon. I am attempting to modify this Airsoft gun into something that looks remotely like a blaster and can be acceptable.

So far what I've done is taken the scope from another gun and mounted it with Sintra as well as making that part over the front of the scope to hold it in place. Now as far as coloring and wear goes, I can worry about that later, What I am trying to figure out is how to make it look more like a blaster pistol and less like a real gun. I plan to make the front of it seem more boxy but i am not entirely sure how I should go about that yet. Also I plan to make a holster for it so whatever greeblies I put on it can't stick out the sides too much.. I wonder at what I should use...

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2013, 12:13 AM by Skittles » Logged

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Custom Blaster
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Hmmm, the 1911 is not an easy pistol to mod up. Maybe try to elongate the barrel and add a flash suppressor/greeblie to the end of it. A power cell back sticking out the side is also a good mod to try too. I like to browse this for inspiration-http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=5619.0. Good luck on the build.

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:57 PM »
Adding something to the hammer area would also break up the 1911-ness a lot.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2012, 12:31 AM »
Adding something to the hammer area would also break up the 1911-ness a lot.

This

Kane Friax

• De vita discendum, non scholae
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2012, 08:47 PM »
i'd say ditch the hammer, and toss the top. replace it with a custom made barrel. also the handle is sorta recognizable. try removing the grips and wrapping it in a strip of leather.

-Kane

24er!               Candy-Kane

Ha'sid

• Eater of worlds
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2012, 10:31 PM »
With some work I think they could be a good base for some westar35 action.

bioshutt

• Haastal Videk M.A. #027
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2012, 11:33 PM »
look at Novall's blaster pistos, they are similar to the 1911

Adam V. S.
Beskar'gam http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=39139.0
One mind, any weapon
My Dragons

JarekVekarrIrunel

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:00 AM »
A 1911 is EASY to mod... lock the slide back over the hammer and FILL it in and smooth out the lines. This will extent the barrel out for easy add ons like a flash hider or add a thin under barrel and make a front piece similar to the "jabba'a palace guard" pistol. You won't even need to add a scope unless you want it. Greeb it up as desired and there ay go.

Skittles

• I am Skittles
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:23 PM »
A 1911 is EASY to mod... lock the slide back over the hammer and FILL it in and smooth out the lines. This will extent the barrel out for easy add ons like a flash hider or add a thin under barrel and make a front piece similar to the "jabba'a palace guard" pistol. You won't even need to add a scope unless you want it. Greeb it up as desired and there ay go.

That. Is not a bad idea. I pulled the slide back and it doesn't look like it would be too hard to do that. I have already started to make a bit of a box to put under the front of the barrel, I'll throw some pics of that up. I was thinking about a battery pack coming down under the barrel to keep the gun with a slim profile, as opposed to having it go out the side( I want to make a holster and have it sit nicely)

Skittles

• I am Skittles
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:15 PM »
So I have made some progress...

On my Main Blaster I have pulled back the slide and secured it in place. I have made a box for the front, that I plan to build a power cell for. I am not sure what I should do to complete the front end, I don't with the barrel to be much longer then it already is.

And a little more detail on the back end. I pretty much just shoved a small piece of wood into the slide that sits between it and the hammer. And then I filled it with bondo and I am bondoing the end to square it up. Now, I know that I should definitely do something about that gap between the slide and the Scope, I'm just not sure what to do besides put a little block there. I think one that will sit atop the iron sight and have a bit of an angle to it.  Other then that I don't think there is much to do to it besides paint it and make the power cell.

I'm not to sure what the actual color my guns will be is. I am going to put another 2 coats of primer on it when i am done with the bondo, and then a few coats of some silver metallic paint for the undercoat. I was thinking gunmetal grey for the majority of it, and then black/darkened grey details to it. Potentially with leather on the grip. I really like that idea of Kanes.

I also picked up a cheap toy gun with lights at London Drugs for a few bucks. It had these big holes in the side that let you see inside of it as a shiny spinning light and sound thing. I covered these gaps with sintra, disabled the sounds and have bondoed it as well. I don't think theres much I need to do to this one as far as making it look good. But painting is the next stage. The barrel of it is still shiny silver and spins when you do the trigger.

Skittles

• I am Skittles
Re: Custom Blasters WIP
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2013, 01:21 AM »
Continuing with work on the smaller gun, as well as using it as my practice piece (since this is my first time making stuff). I sprayed a couple coats of my base color( Light silvery bronze metallic?) and then I used masking tape to tape of where I figured there should be wear and tear. I tear the tape, instead of cutting to make the edges more natural.

At this point I sprayed it with Gunmetal Grey Metallic. a few coats and peeled the tape. It wasn't quite what I'm going for, as it looks to much like an intended design and not natural weathering. Also the gunmetal grey turned out to be lighter then I had thought it would be.

Taking into account the advice I saw on the boards by http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=54199.msg893752#msg893752 I tore more bits of tape and covered the other spots I had previously, meticulously trying to leave a slight edge of the gunmetal grey showing. Then I sprayed it with a darker color I had picked up. ( I can't remember off the top of my head. Its a metallic version of dark silver or slate grey I believe) Did a coat of this color and after a few moments I started to scrape the edges of it with the side of a nail. The paint dried a bit faster then I was expecting and thus some of the previous damage was covered. Though I figure that with natural wear it will come out again soon enough. After this was dry I peeled the tape again, and I took a crumpled up bag and dipped it in a freshly sprayed puddle of the paint, rather then spraying or misting the whole gun again. I dabbed this bag on the worn areas and I am actually glad the way it turned out.

After this was ll dry and set for a day or so, i took a medium piece of sandpaper, probably about 200 grit and sanded a slight bit more wear on the edges and handle. I still plan to touch up a few bits and add some detail using a fine brush and model paint, but I welcome any criticism or advice on how I could do this better. I don't want to mess up my main Blaster.

On my main Blaster, I cut a small piece of wood to give the scope a bit more solidity. Also I have now attached the front ammo housing to the gun and bondoed again. I am making small power cells for the gun out of some 1/8" thick scrap, but I've managed to have enough to make a few of the little boxes.

The Power Cell itself, will have 3 LEDs in it on each side, a small switch, and a small battery. at the top of the cell I have some relatively strong magnets attached. Inside of the housing on the gun, I am planning to glue in place a few small strips of metal for the magnets to hold onto. as well, when the power cell is inserted into the housing, it fits very snugly, not so much that I have to force it, but enough that I don't believe it will fall out. I plan to wear the smaller blaster on a bandolier with a few pouches made to fit these custom power cells. It drives me nuts when I see power cells on a persons belt that don't match the gun they are using, so I hope I do right by people in that sense.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Custom Blasters WIP
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2013, 10:16 AM »
Decent work, my man.  I'm interested to see how this turns out...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!