Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Swing at a Jetpack (pics)

• 11 Replies

Atin Skorda

• Orange Brigade
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
First Swing at a Jetpack (pics)
« on: Jul 17, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Alright i've been working on this jetpack for a while trying to get it to look alright, but now i'm worried about it meeting costuming requirements. I've looked around and haven't found any guidlines for what would be acceptable so I figured i'd just post and see what everybody thinks. The main body is an old toolbox and a few PVC pipes bolted together. I have a cape that will cover my harness attachment and I was thinking about adding something to the top of the pipes to round them off but I was wondering what else I could do to make it look a little less like three PVC pipes and a toolbox, or if it's alright the way it is.

Storage

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2012, 04:56 PM by Atin Skorda » Logged

Viradechtis

• Mando without war is like a starship without space
Re: First Swing at a Jetpack (pics)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2012, 05:19 PM »
Im a huge fan of storage, and your tool box idea is really nifty!

but I feel like there is a problem with empty space, maybe its just from the angles of the pictures, but if you were to add more greeblies to the top of the box (near the middle pvp pipe) and add some weathering to the whole backpack that it would fix that problem.

Otherwise, creative making of a jet-pack vod!

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2012, 05:24 PM by Viradechtis » Logged

"Mando without war is like a starship without space." Torian Cadera

pyromastermuaddib

• Dark Smokepuncher
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2012, 06:01 PM »
Greeb it up, also look at jango's and boba's packs. Best way to make it look swarsy is to take inspiration from starwars itself.

I would just like everyone to know that I suck... And that I'm a girl... And I like ribbons in my hair... And I want to kiss all the boys.

Atin Skorda

• Orange Brigade
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Alright, a few minutes with my dremel and I got this

Scuffed up the body and added some scraps to the top to disguise the open area

Viradechtis

• Mando without war is like a starship without space
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2012, 10:36 PM »
I can see a great improvement already! Do you have any old calculators or remotes hanging around? If so you should add some buttons on there somewhere.

Awesome job!

"Mando without war is like a starship without space." Torian Cadera

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2012, 10:43 PM »
You're on your way, but you have a lot more work. Like you said in your first post, it still looks like a box and some pvc pipe. You want it to look like it's all one, functional piece. People should be saying "hey cool jetpack" not "is that a jetpack?" If they have to ask, you did it wrong.

Make your thrusters look like they're actually thrusters. Right now it looks like they serve no purpose.

You should add more body to the pack. By this I mean add more bulk to the pack on the sides to cover up those fuel tank pipes. Cut those down while your at it and add something to the top of them even if it's just to seal them off.

The middle pipe looks like it wants to be a missile, but it's never evolved from pipe form. Either take it all the way, or ditch it.

You can do it! You've got an awesome base and you've put in the hours and effort to give yourself the perfect launching platform for an awesome pack!

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2012, 12:08 AM »
You're on your way, but you have a lot more work. Like you said in your first post, it still looks like a box and some pvc pipe. You want it to look like it's all one, functional piece. People should be saying "hey cool jetpack" not "is that a jetpack?" If they have to ask, you did it wrong.

Make your thrusters look like they're actually thrusters. Right now it looks like they serve no purpose.

You should add more body to the pack. By this I mean add more bulk to the pack on the sides to cover up those fuel tank pipes. Cut those down while your at it and add something to the top of them even if it's just to seal them off.

The middle pipe looks like it wants to be a missile, but it's never evolved from pipe form. Either take it all the way, or ditch it.

You can do it! You've got an awesome base and you've put in the hours and effort to give yourself the perfect launching platform for an awesome pack!

All of that is dead on. I personally used a dust pan for my hard pack, and NO ONE, including the guy I regularly troop with, knew.

I'll be buying another one, flipping it over, adding GIANT thrusters and a rocket to make my jet pack.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Atin Skorda

• Orange Brigade
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Alright, a little love from my dremel and this is what I got.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2012, 12:03 AM »
That is a massive improvement! To me the grey area on the body of the pack looks very strange though and I feel that the thrusters could still use more work but the tubes now look significantly better!

Klynn Targh

• Fan favorite Wampa
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2012, 12:42 AM »
can I say i'm getting a sandtrooper/goofy ANH vibe from this?  I say that meaning I like it.  nice nose cone too.  all around a great first attempt!

Aliit orishya taldin.

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2012, 01:53 AM »
Nose seems crooked, and you still have the baby thrusters.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Atin Skorda

• Orange Brigade
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2012, 01:29 PM »
I know what you mean about the big grey area, it was part of the original toolbox that I started with. I tried to pass it off as 3D damage (maybe a lightsaber burn on durasteel) but it didn't quite turn out the way I wanted. I thought about trying to Bondo the area or cover it with a plate of sintra but I wasn't sure how bad it would look as 3D damage. The nose cone is one of those pop-open air fresheners, so my kit smells great too. The nose is slightly crooked, it's on my to-do-list to level it out.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!