Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Concept Boba Rocketpack

• 17 Replies

Bandolier

• Pew pew!
  • "Have fun storming the caslte!"
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Concept Boba Rocketpack
« on: Jul 18, 2012, 09:20 PM »
well, I havent really made a jetpack before. so here is my first try.  I really want something compact and light i want it to just attach to the backplate and not need a harness system. something Vacuum-formed would work perfectly, but I dont have access to something like that. my plan is to do something very similar to the rocketpack in this drawing from one concept Boba image.

My plan of action is to do it with cardstock and use resin and bondo to strengthen it. pictures as I make some reasonable progress

« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2012, 09:24 PM by Bandolier » Logged
"I'm Bando the Mando"

~Armor~

~Back-story~

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Concept Boba Rocketpack
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Look forward to seeing it built ;) .

Bandolier

• Pew pew!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2012, 04:43 PM »
well, some poster bord, this card stock, and resin, and here is the start so far. i need to start looking at what i could make the rockets out of

"I'm Bando the Mando"

~Armor~

~Back-story~

Kiriath

• On the path again
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2012, 04:55 PM »
You could try estes rockets.. found at your local hobby lobby.

Not dead yet!  Kicking and biting till the end of time.. I want to be better..

Bandolier

• Pew pew!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2012, 10:17 PM »
You could try estes rockets.. found at your local hobby lobby.

thanks for the tip. i found these.
http://www.bellevillehobby.com/pc-20aplasticnosecone.aspx

I like the shape of them, i was thinking of getting 12.  that would run me like 38 bucks. ill keep them in mind, but keep shopping around

"I'm Bando the Mando"

~Armor~

~Back-story~

Kiriath

• On the path again
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2012, 12:59 AM »
Good luck.. maybe someone has some used ones they might sell ya at cost.

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Shab, that thing is cool!  I'm interested to see where this goes!

Bandolier

• Pew pew!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2012, 09:54 PM »
well, its been a while since i have updated this. i like the idea of using rocket tips from hobbie rockets, but i wanted something a little wider..... so i found THESE!!!!!! another idea i had was icing decorating tips, but alas, most of those were two small

and for the body, I found some old toy parts and a canister  that was literally, the perfect size for the rocket holder... thingy

well, I put it all together and gave it a quick paint job, i can always add more greeblies, the brown paint can wash off. not bad being made out of poster board and resin for the most part. its amazingly light. with the weight of it, i can just velcro it to my backplate no problem

"I'm Bando the Mando"

~Armor~

~Back-story~

Kiriath

• On the path again
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2012, 11:26 PM »
That looks great vod.  I think it will work great.  I'm curious now to see how it looks on your back.

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Great finds!  Those are perfect, vod!

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2012, 11:19 PM »
Looks fantastic. If I were you, I'd create a harness just to be safe.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Ren

• Awards Boba and Jango Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2012, 08:37 PM »
Very well done!!

"As you Wish" is bounty hunter for "Kiss my A**"

Jaro

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2012, 09:18 PM »
I've never worn a jetpack myself, but I've trooped with a few that have. You technically CAN do it without a harness, but the weight of it (being resined, fiberglassed, and bondoed) will probably make it pretty uncomfortable, pulling the back of the vest down, which in turn would pull the collar plate into your throat.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2012, 07:43 AM »
This is Very nice .

I hope mine looks as Good .....

Nice job Vod .

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:18 AM »
Turned out excellent, great job!

Sentinel

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:51 AM »
I've never worked with resin/posterboard,  How sturdy is the pack? Did you have to put anything inside the box. I want one :)

Bandolier

• Pew pew!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2012, 08:37 PM »
I've never worked with resin/posterboard,  How sturdy is the pack? Did you have to put anything inside the box. I want one :)

Well, resin hardens pretty fast, so you really have to be prepared to work with it and get it where you want in just a few minutes before its too stiff to work with. the inside is literally empty with resin coated fiberglass cloth on all the corners, helping keep its shape. Im sure I could make another one thats more sturdy.

I would say in terms of how sturdy it is, maybe what you would say a model car is. It will hold its shape, but i wouldn't trust myself dropping it more than a foot.

"I'm Bando the Mando"

~Armor~

~Back-story~

Tor'dola Magnus

• Nothing runs... like my Bounty
« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2013, 06:30 AM »
Those boba pictures are what inspired my design.  though I'm actually doing a Jump pack in it.  Love how this looks though!

Oyacyir de balac, kar'taylir darasuum de gaanader, kyr'amur de bora
"LIVE by chance... LOVE by Choice... KILL by Profession"

E.M.T.S. #083
MAD:036
M.A. #098

ForceHunter WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63712.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!