Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Building my 1st Jetpack, for my 6 year old son

• 4 Replies
Building my 1st Jetpack, for my 6 year old son
« on: Jul 26, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Got a bunch of ideas from other threads here.   I am a PC repair guy and also do work for some Tech Ewaste friends salvaging older tech and deciding/testing whats good or valuable so I see lots of oddball stuff.   About 2 years ago we got a load of like 40 of these DELL mini desktops in SX260,  most worked so i took them all to my storage locker to fix and resell.   Sold most and whats left are stuff i pulled parts from and have dead mom boards. So i am using that case as a starter

Step 1 - http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/922/415922_110220201915_429840_L11042101.jpg  ,  acquire this or similar PC case

Step 2 -  unplug any wires connected to board for fans, speakers, power, etc.  Remove the fans and speaker,  remove motherboard by removing all phillips head screws,  remove processor to get other screws out,  take out board and front panel.  Remove hard drive door  , hard drive and cable (mine was already missing).  Remove A or D drive ,  i saved the power button ,  the fans , the easy to remove black device to the right of the processor (forget name)  ,  also saved board since i plan to cut off a part or 2 that has ports and reattach so i can insert some cabling, so save the screws too

Step 3 - attach front plate back onto case,  screw holes no longer available so i used double sided heavy duty sticky tape

Step 4 - I used a wood chisel to peel off any stickers attached to the case,  be sure to peel off stickers on back of case where all the ports are/were.  you dont want to pait over a sticker

Step 5 - the green processor / fan cover .  seperate it fro mthe fans,  i took a jigsaw and cut the largest flat rectangle i could from it,  took a roll of black gorilla tape from home depot/lowes and made a light barrier inside to cover the spot where the hard drive went,  i plan to install a opaque cover on outside thats removeable so i can use glow stix to give a neon lite look     

Step 6 - use black spray paint and paint rear port area,  i then used a tissue to dab off black paint from the green flip switch that releases the pc cover,  it gives it a used, rustic look i guess,  i like it.  also spray in the area where the glow stix will go to make it all black and dark + spray over the DELL stamp near hard drive bay,  i will cover it with a device later also 

Step 7 - used jigsaw, hacksaw, hammer and chisel to chop up mom board port areas then reattach with screws.  Keep the black plastic plugs from speaker - power switch attached,  remove all mini capacitors  (look like tiny batteries) ,  on top piece you save, be mindful not to cut out the screwhole like i almost did,  luckily i left enough for screw to take hold,  for now i also held onto the silver metal device that has like 7 little fingers on it and 2 screw holes,  might be cool to attach later on outside or just toss in a box for a future ADULT jetpack  (i might be getting jetpack fever),  See pics for where i am at after starting today and stopping now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83580126@N02/  -  pics here

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2012, 12:00 AM by PCGUY760 » Logged
Re: Building my 1st Jetpack, for my 6 year old son
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2012, 10:36 PM »
stopped at a 99 cents store today and got a 2 foot long plastic crayon bank to use as the rocket on the pack,  also got some sports ball air pressure gauge (plastic) and will mount it on the pack after taking it apart and removing the numbers shown and inserting a new clear white paper to create a Star Wars gauge with actual SW language on it saying "Fuel"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_in_Star_Wars

got some other little gadgets to attach also

looks like all the items i ordered arrived,  the Boba Armor set is a major let down,  pieces are very tiny,  i can make it work this year for SW CVI but he will grow out of it quickly.   Maybe i can get Halloween 2013 out of it also

will have pics later this week

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2012, 10:36 PM »

this will be his rocket,  got it for 99 cents,  stickers peeled off easy,  sprayed it with black paint but lightly to create a camo type look,  it looks great IMO,  the coin slot will be covered by a red LED light i have coming that is enclosed inside a thin piece of metal.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqhcuVXcoi4&feature=player_embedded   ,  got some round blinkers from that site also to attach as well,

his costume is becoming more of a 50% boba and 50% mando setup,  so far he is loving the look

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2012, 10:38 PM by PCGUY760 » Logged

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2012, 11:17 PM »
stopped at a 99 cents store today and got a 2 foot long plastic crayon bank to use as the rocket on the pack,  also got some sports ball air pressure gauge (plastic) and will mount it on the pack after taking it apart and removing the numbers shown and inserting a new clear white paper to create a Star Wars gauge with actual SW language on it saying "Fuel"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_in_Star_Wars

i am suprised the site said nothing of Mando'a, the language of the mandalorians. karen traviss has worked to make it a near complete language, written and spoken.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mando%27a
scrolling down to the link under written form you can find the complete alphabet

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2012, 12:29 AM »
thanks for that link,  i wonder if the Mando language is based on the New Zealand Mayori language

added the straps / harness to the pack today + other changes ,   my son use to have the above Jango inflatable pack for halloween,  its obviously a joke to use it anymore with the other stuff i am doing,  BUT,  the harness can be cut off and used,  its strong material for a small child.   Attached with screws and washers and looks fine and provides good support

« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2012, 02:03 AM by PCGUY760 » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!