Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Varlo Odra'Tyr, Helmet V.2 (WIP, Pic heavy) COMPLETED!

• 16 Replies

Varlo

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
Well back in March of this year I became an official member of Clan Murraan. At the time, I kind of rushed into the process and ended up buying plates and a helmet before I really knew what I was doing (something I try to caution as many prospective members as possible against this mistake.) But the Murraans welcomed me with open arms and Spanner Murraan offered to help me get my kit together. So I spent just about every weekend for 2 months at his place... I would say helping get my kit finished but I did very little in the way of tangible contribution. However I tried to pay close attention to every step in the process (anyone who has ever seen Spanner work probably already knows you can learn a lot from that guy) so that the next time I had something to build I would be ready. So after many a weekend, essentially a whole new set of plates (again courtesy of Spanner), and countless mental notes taken I think I came away with a good start to my understanding.

The helmet I started off with was this nameless Vac Form. It's fairly light, a little on the brittle side and IMHO drops down too close to the shoulders. But after a couple days of Spannering it turned out looking amazing.

So recently I have managed to procure an original MDSB- Merc in my size so I'll be upgrading the helmet. I plan to keep the same design and patterns.

THe first step was to fill in those holes along the top with Bondo, (keep in mind this is really my first real SOLO build so getting this right was a massive accomplishment for me.) In the picture you can also  see that ive taped up the visor for painting. I would have removed the visor but the glue holding it in is one tough mother so I decided just to tape around it.

Next I put down the orange base coat. I know it looks really bright but the weathering really tones it down. (see picture of original helmet, it started off the same way)

After that I taped off the face section and put the brown paint down.

Thats where I am so far. I hope to have it all finished before next week is out. Ill post up more pictures as I progress.

UPDATE 9/18
Let the brown paint dry over night and Im very happy with the lines. The paint got a little splotchy in a spot or 2 (The brown was WAY more high pressure than i had expected.) But I just see that as the start of my weathering process.

UPDATE 9/19
I put on the cheek paint late last night and as you can see, the lines arent NEARLY as clean as I would have liked. Im hoping to fix some of it and use the weathering process to blend/fix the rest.

Put down the lines for the asymmetrical wing and claw patterns

Im still not happy with some of the lines so im going to go back and try to fix a few before weathering but all thats left now id the hand painted yellow designs and actual weathering!

9/21/2012

Well... I finished it up about 15 minutes ago. I am incredibly happy with how it all came out and all thats left now is to clean up the visor a bit (some residual paint sneaked in) and glue the interior padding. First solo helmet paint job: Check!

« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2012, 11:48 PM by Varlo » Logged

IronMando

• Doofus
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 50 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Varlo Odra'Tyr, Helmet V.2 (WIP, Pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2012, 10:08 PM »
I would say helping get my kit finished but I did very little in the way of tangible contribution. However I tried to pay close attention to every step in the process (anyone who has ever seen Spanner work probably already knows you can learn a lot from that guy.

Wow, sounds just like my experience!

But after a couple days of Spannering it turned out looking amazing.

Most things do...

Look forward to seeing this thing in person when it's done!

Mandalorian Merc # 0294
"I was blue before you."

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2012, 10:37 PM »
Awww, you guys!

Varlo, I have faith in you.  As I said earlier "You have taken your first step into a larger world."

"what in the samhell is a Puma?"

Barbarossa Kad

• Keeper of the Boomstick
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Nice, looking good vod.

There is a method to my madness.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Willy Wonka

Adenn Kyram

• There is no such thing as overkill only efficiency
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:38 AM »
Looks good vod.can't wait to see whats next. :) Spanner is the YODA of weathering. :D I've read his fit and finish corner so many times it's awesome.

M.A. #16-24er , EMTS #90 , M.A.J.I.C. #086 , M5SP #13 , M.A.D # 27 , E.R.A #13 , K.O.M.S#008 , B.O.M.B #19

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2012, 02:12 AM »
Looking good, and you've got to learn sometime so well done for jumping in and giving it a go!

Ca'tal

• Clan Scyk
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Most invasions trooped in 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2012, 10:05 AM »
Looks good man. MDSB lids are awesome to work with.

“Morale is born of loyalty, patriotism, discipline, and efficiency, all of which breed confidence in self and in comrades…Morale is at one and the same time the strongest, and the most delicate of growths. It withstands shocks, even disasters of the battlefield, but can be destroyed utterly by favoritism, neglect, or injustice.”
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

My opinions are stated as my own. If you disagree with them feel free to disregard them. They are after all...opinions.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Oh man that looks like such a fun paint job. You know, if you keep painting like that people are going to be coming to YOU for advice.

Varlo

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Varlo Odra'Tyr, Helmet V.2 (WIP, Pic heavy) UPDATED
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Nice, looking good vod.

Do I know you?... I kiiiiiid, I kiiiid! Thanks man! Cant wait to get to troop with you man!

well done for jumping in and giving it a go!

Thank you, thank you. it was considerably nerve wracking whe i started but it was like an exam you've spent a week stressing over..you actually start and realize you know the material and calm down.

Looks good man. MDSB lids are awesome to work with.

So I'm noticing, it was worth EVERY penny.

You know, if you keep painting like that people are going to be coming to YOU for advice.

Uh oh, this just got real! :D Thanks, vod. I appreciate that!

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Rise- my Apprentice. 

Seriously though, As i told you on FB, the lines are clean, and the paint laid down well.  You really cant ask for better than that.  I can feel your POWAH!

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2012, 12:29 PM »
Looks really cool. I'll start painting on my helmet once its in so I'm interested in what you're going to do! :)

Varlo

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:41 PM »
Looks really cool. I'll start painting on my helmet once its in so I'm interested in what you're going to do!

Thanks vod! I look forward to seeing your WIP.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:46 PM »
Looks Good So far Vod ;D keep it up ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Varlo

Re: Varlo Odra'Tyr, Helmet V.2 (WIP, Pic heavy) UPDATED#2
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Looks Good So far Vod  keep it up

Thank you!! Well as you can probably see, several of the lines didnt come out as cleanly as I was going for but I definitly am learning alot about what mistakes to avoid and what not. And im still very happy with how its turning out overall.

Varlo

Re: Varlo Odra'Tyr, Helmet V.2 (WIP, Pic heavy) COMPLETED!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2012, 11:55 PM »
Aaaaaaand done!

Spanner Murraan

• the Big Stick
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2012, 12:47 AM »
EXCELLENT!

Remember, a painter can feel the acrylic flowing through him!

Barbarossa Kad

• Keeper of the Boomstick
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2012, 06:23 AM »
Looks great.

There is a method to my madness.
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Willy Wonka

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!