Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Crusader Era Soft Parts ... now with a Neocrusader Skull Cape

• 17 Replies

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Award for 75 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
I have started several portions of my kit and wanted to show current progress in the different areas and get some feedback.

I blew up a picture of the standard mythosaur skull, printed it out in sections and taped the pieces together to make a back sized skull. Using my wife's light table I traced the skull to the cape. The cape is 30"x36".

The cape will be pleated on the outer edges and attached to both shoulders so the center portion of the mythosaur will be visible.

Painted up the mythosaur and touched up the black outline ... waiting for the paint to dry.

This shows the colors of the various pieces. The armor plates will be painted brown and tan (earth tones) and the straps for armor will be dyed the same as the leather bits on the gloves. I plan on using a loin cloth as well (same material as cape).

These leather boots have a zipper on the inside that is hidden with a Velcro flap.

Here is a pic I posted in the body armor section to show the general layout.

After the cloak dries, I get the loin cloth trimmed and I finish the belt for it I will post a pic showing the current ensemble.

All comments and feedback are appreciated.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2012, 11:42 PM by Ru'Der Marekar » Logged
I do not offer empty platitudes! I do not offer easy victories!
Crusader Era Armor WIP - Crusader Era Helm WIP - SWTOR Electro-Staff Tutorial

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Award for 75 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Crusader Era Soft Parts (& Mythosaur Cape)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2012, 12:47 PM »
Taped the cape to my back plate to check length & pleats. Need to weather a bit and then sew the pleats and add a ring or something fun to attach it to my back plate ...

As always, comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Uneek Top'El

• I am back from the dead !!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Yep, Looks Great !!  8)

MMCC OM # 625 M.A.J.I.C Member # 81 MA # 53 Taakure Clan !!

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Finished the weathering for the loin cloth and cape.

Weathering with black and brown spray paint.

The armor still needs finishing and painting/weathering but the flight suit and loincloth are done.

To mount the cape I sewed a pair of leather tabs to the upper corners and used Chicago screws to attach it under my shoulder plates.

Here is the cape ... sides pleated to show the skull and attached to the back plate.

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Absolutely amazing what a touch a well done weathering can do! 

This looks like its really coming along!   8)

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2012, 03:30 PM »
It is awesome! Cape looks great.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2012, 12:38 PM »
Continuing on with the assembly of the soft parts ... this will be the layout on my ammo (girth) belt.

Some vintage ammo pouches...

Some grenades (aka fuses) and a belt buckle I had laying around. Planning on painting the buckle to give it a dark hammered metal look (like the holdout pistol below)

This will be the overall layout. Holdout pistol and grenades in the middle with pouches on the outside.

Comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2012, 12:40 PM »
Awesomeee!
Where'd you get those pouches?

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2012, 01:33 PM »
Where'd you get those pouches?

I picket them up from a surplus store several years ago ... I have been using them as part of my steampunk costume.

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2012, 06:47 AM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, if your doing a Crusader, the mythosaur skull wasn't around yet. That will need to be removed or replaced with an Old Republic Era sigil. Also if you plan to use that weapon it will need to be heavily modded as well, as it also looks too modern.

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:43 AM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, if your doing a Crusader, the mythosaur skull wasn't around yet. That will need to be removed or replaced with an Old Republic Era sigil. Also if you plan to use that weapon it will need to be heavily modded as well, as it also looks too modern.

Thanks for checking out the thread and for the comments. Got a little confusion here based on the CRL's and I am hoping you can get me straight:

"Crusader Era Requirements ... Suggested Components: ... 3. Use of mythosaur skull (Jaing or Mercs) in armor design"

Which mythosaur skull is the "Mercs" mythosaur skull? Can you direct me to the correct picture?
And I would appreciate it if you would take a peak at my other threads to see if there are any other show stoppers I need to address   :o

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Unfortunately that suggestion is on all three Crusader era's and it shouldn't be, which should hopefully be taken care of soon. Thank you for pointing that out and I'm sorry that because of it you have a cape you can't use on your Late Crusader kit. (Which by the way is a VERY nicely done cape) :(

Technically the only skull you could use would be the Neo-Crusader skull since the Late and Neo era's overlap.

All the other know skulls fall in the Modern era.

I just made a thread that shows them all if your interested. Mythosaur Skulls

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Unfortunately that suggestion is on all three Crusader era's and it shouldn't be, which should hopefully be taken care of soon. Thank you for pointing that out and I'm sorry that because of it you have a cape you can't use on your Late Crusader kit. (Which by the way is a VERY nicely done cape) :(

Thanks for getting back to me and getting me a cool skull I can use on my cape. After my current business trip I will make a new one with the neo-crusader skull  8)

And it is better to find out now than after I submit my app pictures  :o

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
Crusader Era Soft Parts ... now with a Neocrusader Skull Cape
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2012, 11:41 PM »
You guessed it ... the start of a neo-crusader skull cape ... Nuf said!

Work on my cord neck seal is almost done ... just need the velcro flap in back to cover the zipper  8)

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
Re: Crusader Era Soft Parts ... now with a Neocrusader Skull Cape
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2012, 10:18 PM »
Finished painting and weathering the new fangled neo-crusader skull cape ...

Did a little rearranging of the items on my ammo belt ...

I just won the bid on four pairs of Mosin Nagant leather pouches (WWI Russian) and will probably trade them out when they arrive  8)

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2012, 10:31 PM »
You should've told me this, I would've traded my Mosin Nagant punches for yours!
And just wondering, how you go about the weathering if your soft parts?

Ru'Der Marekar

• Aka’lit Sol’yc!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2012, 10:40 PM »
You should've told me this, I would've traded my Mosin Nagant punches for yours!
And just wondering, how you go about the weathering if your soft parts?

A while ago I stumbled upon a video by TK409 on weathering Boba Fett's cape ... and I looked it up again for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b046u98yX_c

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2012, 02:34 PM »
Nice video!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!