Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

vest WIP (warning: slow progress)

• 9 Replies

Ko' Tetsu

• A long time ago...I started working on my armor...
vest WIP (warning: slow progress)
« on: May 06, 2012, 02:50 AM »
Okay, so my wife found about 1 and 1/3 yards of a silvery colored vinyl material.  I know it will be warm but if I can make a vest out of it the price will be good until I can find something better.  The material only cost a dollar at a thrift store.  If I fold the material in half and hold it at shoulder level the bottom comes to about the top of my bellybutton. 

My original idea was to cut a hole for my head and then cut the sides as needed to make a poncho.  So I would cut the white parts out of the following pic.

After doing that I would put grommets in the sides so that I could use a leather string to lace up the sides.

The red lines being the armor plates and the little white spots being grommet holes.  The orange spot is where my bellybutton should approx. line up.

« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2012, 10:45 PM by Darth_Sarge » Logged
Formerly Darth_Sarge
Re: Vest idea (need help)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:53 AM »
That sounds like a great idea for an easy to make vest! If you do that Id caution you to make marks while its on you so that you cut it tailored to your body shape. It will be easier to see how it should actually be cut rather than if you were to do something like make 4 equal boxes cut out.

Also, you might want to make darts in places - ie around the shoulders and/or chest areas if youre more buff, etc just something to keep it from looking like a baggy poncho. Hope this helps!  :D I'll definitely be watching to see how it goes.

Ko' Tetsu

Re: Vest idea (need help)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 12:37 PM »
I was gonna cut the head hole first so I could see how it lays and then cut the rest so that it fits right.  I hadnt thought of the darts though, thanks.

Formerly Darth_Sarge

Mom2Mando

• Verda Buir
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Vest idea (need seamstress advice)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 11:17 PM »
I would suggest trying it out with paper before you cut your fabric.  You can get large tissue paper, newsprint, or butcher paper.  Cut the paper the same size as your fabric, and see if it will work.  Seems like it should if you are careful.

Teresa -  Verda Buir   (and son Dha Buruk)

Ko' Tetsu

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:19 AM »
If i had thought of that i wouldnt have needed posted this. I even have a roll of butcher paper . Awesome idea thanks :).
By the way...i have seen a few if your wip posts.  Stellar work :-)

Okay. Now that i have a super easy test method i will try to work on that this week and take some pics

Formerly Darth_Sarge

Mom2Mando

• Verda Buir
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:32 PM »
Awesome idea thanks :)

You're welcome. Don't forget to post as-you-go pics to show others beginning to sew.

By the way...i have seen a few if your wip posts.  Stellar work :-)

Thanks so much.

Teresa -  Verda Buir   (and son Dha Buruk)

Ko' Tetsu

Re: vest WIP
« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2012, 04:28 AM »
Not sure of anybody is still watching this but i have been away for a while.
Progress update - i tried the paper template mom2mando suggested. I think this idea would work in a pinch but after getting it put together the fit wasnt right. It was about 6 inches short. My wife talked me into buying a vest instead of making own.

Formerly Darth_Sarge

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked. See Signature.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2012, 09:44 AM »
sorry that did not wok out for you.
Vests are a hard thing to get right. I had the advantage in that i know how to make a doublet and the vest is not that far off from a doublet. And it still took me a while to get right. With my new kit i am using a swat team vest. But then i have a set of legacy armor and you dont even see the vest at all.

Viciousvestments (Cecil Anthony Fuson) has had his membership revoked due to "Undisclosed Criminal History" (MMCC Bylaws:  Section 2, Major Offenses, Paragraph 8. ).  If you have outstanding sales issues with him that warrant legal action, it is suggested that you consult with local law enforcement agencies.

Ko' Tetsu

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2012, 08:57 PM »
Actually i think the idea would work for a starter vest for first time builders on a budget but my material wasn't long enough for me. I suppose i could take the extra off of the sides and sew it onto the bottom and it would probably work.  My wife gave the ok to buy one though so I will probably buy one from Mar'eyce when she ready to make more

Formerly Darth_Sarge

Ko' Tetsu

« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2012, 10:42 PM »
Ok, so I scrapped the above idea, and used an idea I found elsewhere to start fresh which can be found here 
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=22566.0
I forgot to take pictures before I dropped it off with a local seamstress to get it finished up so I apologize for that.  However, the original idea I had is basically similar to the link above, except that I did not have a tshirt to start out with.

In a few weeks when I get the vest back from the seamstress I will try to remember to take some pictures and post them.

« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2012, 10:47 PM by Darth_Sarge » Logged
Formerly Darth_Sarge

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!