Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jesse's Soft Parts

• 66 Replies

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Jesse's Soft Parts
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:26 PM »
DAMN you did a really good job! 4 flakvests down the line for me and I can do nothing that nice....and is that hand sewn? :o

Like I'm legitly impressed that looks like a commissioned Jango vest tailored for femmandos :o

Shaping and darting llooks spot on, I really like how you did the edges on the shoulder flaps too...and the collar isn't that bad, something cool you could try is making a republic commando inspired neckseal to go there, I think it'd look great and tie in with your backstory if your sticking with cuy'val-dar/clone associated....

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:57 PM »
I was curious about the square collar as well, but you're right one you get a collar plate on no one will be able to notice :) You really are close, I'm excited to see it all on you! :D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Jesse Libarra

• M.A. #028, Mini Mando #05
« Reply #52 on: Feb 01, 2015, 12:02 AM »
I was curious about the square collar as well,

Yeah...

This is the pattern I used (so I didn't have to do everything from scratch), and obviously I had to raise the collar quite a bit. Unfortunately, in the effort to not the make the neck hole so small I couldn't get my head through it, I made it too square.  >:( But, yeah, I don't think it will matter in the long run.

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2015, 12:43 AM by Jesse Libarra » Logged

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Kalyn Solari

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #53 on: Feb 01, 2015, 02:38 PM »
great looking vest Jesse! If you're having an issue getting your head in, might I suggest what I did for my vod'ika and put a velcro flap or zipper closure along one of the shoulder seams? it really helps and that way you won't get the material pulling or risk popping the seams after a while of forcing your head through the vest.

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:15 PM »
great looking vest Jesse! If you're having an issue getting your head in, might I suggest what I did for my vod'ika and put a velcro flap or zipper closure along one of the shoulder seams? it really helps and that way you won't get the material pulling or risk popping the seams after a while of forcing your head through the vest.

Good idea, Kalyn. I might just do that. ;D

also, Neck Seal, anyone?

-Only a fool never feels fear. The difference between a brave man and a coward is the way he handles his fear.-

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2015, 11:35 PM »
Ehh looks good, is it like velcro in the back for closing it?

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Ehh looks good, is it like velcro in the back for closing it?

Yeah, it's got velcro strips in the back that hold it shut.

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2015, 01:23 PM »
Its a good system  :)

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #58 on: Feb 07, 2015, 09:23 PM »
*drum roll*

Tada:

(I did put it on, but I'll have to remember to post the pictures  :P)

I had to get creative and punch the holes with this thing:

I also did some work on my kama:

The patches will be weathered to be less brightly colored. I promise. :rolleyes: And that big one is not pink :laugh: It's kind of a peach color

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #59 on: Feb 07, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Damn vod that looks great!
My one critique is the patches don't really look right on it...

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2015, 10:21 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #60 on: Feb 07, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I love the patches! :laugh: That's awesome! ;D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #61 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Damn vod that looks great!
My one critique is the patches don't really look right on it...

yeah, they do kind of stick out. I will be weathering the whole thing quite a bit. The patches will be dirty, and the entire kama will look pretty beat up, so I think they'll end up looking more integrated into the whole thing. But, if I get down to the end I still don't like them, I can just take them off. They're only tacked on with embroidery floss.  :rolleyes:

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #62 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:37 AM »
I'm just saying because like if you look at mine closely its got lots of holes in it but it adds to the look of it as a whole, so holes arn't too big of a deal to leave torn and open like that IMO.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #63 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:54 PM »
I had a cloak at one point that had some of the larger holes either hemmed to stop fraying or resewn. I used a different colour (but weathered cloak and embroidery thread as one thing) to make it look like old repairs.
Once those patches are recoloured/weathered they will likely fit in a lot better. Only thing I'd do is make the patches less square and more 'random bit of spare fabric/leather' that you found lying around.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #64 on: Feb 11, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Nice vest! I say ditch the patches and just leave torn holes. Cha.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #65 on: Sep 30, 2018, 05:15 PM »
So, I got tired of my vest gradually loosening as I move, so I added some elastic strapping on the inside. There are buttons on the front:

And straps that come around from the back:

And they fasten underneath the laces so I can keep the lacing aesthetic without having to retie my vest every fifteen minutes!   :laugh:

Jesse Libarra

« Reply #66 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:00 PM »
So, I weathered my Kama. I used a combination of spray paint, bleach, actual paint applied with a kabuki brush, and real dirt. It looks lighter in the pictures than it is in real life (because of the flash), so I'll get some outside soon.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!