Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ethics Question

• 22 Replies

Demar Falco

• What doesnt kill me...better start running
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Ethics Question
« on: Sep 06, 2012, 10:49 PM »
This question pertains to something that I cannot find a solid answer for in the CRL's so I figured id ask the club as a whole.

What is the policy on Animal fur and other parts on a kit? I understand the no Gore and such, but my character is a hunter, and real animal fur is easier to come by (being that i have hunter friends) than fake fur or bones.

I currently have only one real animal skin on my entire kit, the light fur on my collar is a hundred year old monkey fur that was passed down by my great grandfather from his hunting trip to Africa. I have already run into certain animal rights people who show me great disdain

I would love to have more fur, but i dont want to cause a scene with the "nature" crowd if you know what i mean

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
Re: Ethics Question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2012, 10:59 PM »
I feel like whatever causes the least controversy is the best route. Even if finding fake fur might be troublesome, it'll save you from any disapproval from the animal rights crowd.

Viradechtis

• Mando without war is like a starship without space
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:21 PM »
If your a hunter, you shouldn't be ashamed. Sure you will meet people who disagree (and still have no idea where the meat they eat actually comes from) but that doesn't mean you have to throw away the pelts you use for an extreme few.

Its those skills that for countless years made a man a man, and you should feel no different.
OYA!

"Mando without war is like a starship without space." Torian Cadera

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:23 PM »
If there's some kind of ruling on fur there should be some kind of ruling on leather. And uh... can't see that happening. Leather is awesome.

Keep it clean of blood and gore and you're fine basically.

Demar Falco

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:24 PM »

Its those skills that for countless years made a man a man, and you should feel no different.
OYA!

I like that  :D

Mullreel

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:27 PM »
So let me get this right,......someone is upset because there is a monkey skin that died a hundred years ago.  The thing died 100 years ago.  I am sorry, I would tell them "thank you, you may go now"

Are they going to get made at cruise ships today because the Titanic sank. 

I would say don't worry about it, they will get over it......or they won't.....either way the thing died long ago.

All I ever wanted to do was to travel to far off exotic places and meet new and exciting people.........and then kill them.  So I became a mercenary, and I love what I do.

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:35 PM »
I agree with what you guys are saying but we do represent a club when we're kitted up, I don't want it to seem like we endorse the hunting of animals one way or the other. I mean sure if we were actual mandos, we'd be walking around with rancor hide pouches and whatnot  but maybe choosing the path of least resistance is the best idea and if I'm in the wrong with this, someone feel free to correct me.
By the way, the whole monkey fur thing, they gotta suck that one up, its been 100 or so years.
Also dont like drape yourself in real animal fur.
That'd be scary.

Viradechtis

« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:40 PM »
Unfortunately allot of people are under the impression now a days that killing and wearing the fur of animals is barbaric. I think that killing and letting any part of that animal go to waste is barbaric.

Even if you wear fake furr and dont endorse hunting, you are by sheer principle of carrying any trophies, and by being a Mando. Its a part of their culture and what we are emulating.

Personal opinion, however that's exactly what Boba Fett does in his way of collecting the teeth of the beasts he's killed. He not only honors his father, but remembers through those trophies the fight that the animal put him in.

On the topic of furs and manliness, ner'vod I present to you Jeremiah Johnson XD

« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2012, 11:44 PM by Viradechtis » Logged

Demar Falco

« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:42 PM »
You both make very good points. I guess that I will do both like i currently am. I have both fake and real fur. i think real bones might be going over the top though.....

Viradechtis

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:46 PM »
You both make very good points. I guess that I will do both like i currently am. I have both fake and real fur. i think real bones might be going over the top though.....
If cured properly bones look just like sculpty, I dont think people will ask about them, and if they do, I doubt you'll get the rude response like you described to us above when you tell them.

And if you do, kindly tell them thank you for their concern, and that you will think about it for future troops.

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:48 PM »
I don't really care either way. I'm just trying to see what causes the least trouble.
Don't want PETA throwing buckets of paint on Delmar here just cause he decided not to use faux fur. LOL
Heck, I'm all for carrying skulls and whatnot.
And Delmar , ultimately you do what you want. You're my clan brother, if you decided to be a walking hunting  gallery, ill back you up 100%, vod.

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:50 PM »
On the topic of furs and manliness, ner'vod I present to you Jeremiah Johnson XD

That's a good movie  ;)

Viradechtis

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:55 PM »
That's a good movie  ;)

A fine figure of a man, yes? Yes.

Fenrir Bralor

• All right. Let's go.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2012, 11:58 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I don't mind fur. I am a hunter, or at least I would be if I ever wanted to get up that early in the morning during freezing winter months. LOL My family has many hunters, for the sport but we also eat what we kill. We don't believe in killing just for the sake of sport.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #14 on: Sep 07, 2012, 12:12 AM »
Honestly, it's not an issue. We even have a Beast Master brigade being worked out that REQUIRES things like this.

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2012, 12:13 AM »
I don't think it requires actual animal fur.

Viradechtis

« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2012, 12:17 AM »
I don't think it requires actual animal fur.

Yeah, it can be either real or faux. However if you have access to real pelts, i'd use them over spending money for something you already have. This hobby isn't cheap, why make it more expensive?

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2012, 01:30 AM »
If it's legal under Federal, Country, State, County, Municipal laws and doesnt violate the clubs "gore" caveat, it's fine.

So, even if it were obtained legally 300 years ago, I wouldnt use an ivory tusk from an elephant. But, a squirrel hide you tanned last week is fine.

I honestly have NO idea if that pelt is currently legal, was legal then, is protected because of age etc. To me, at that age, I wouldn't risk it on my costume. being so old and in such good shape as well as being a handed down family item Id keep it safe as an heirloom.

That said, if I were going to have furs on my costume I would use real ones. I dont care how good the fakes are. They never look and feel as good as the real deal.

I wouldnt advertise it beyond having it on the costume. If anyone asked, real or fake, Id tell them it's them this "It's just a costume prop" and either move along or swing the conversation elsewhere.

DoseOrdo

• [The Bold]
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Sep 07, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Just tell anyone who gets uppity that it's fake...

Dar'manda

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #19 on: Sep 07, 2012, 11:01 AM »
That would be lying.

I have a whole goat hide, with fur, that I will be using on mine. Haters will hate. Like Falin said, so long as it doesn't break the law and isn't gory, you can do whatever the heck you want, it's YOUR costume. Not theirs.

DoseOrdo

• [The Bold]
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #20 on: Sep 07, 2012, 11:13 AM »
That would be lying.

Really? Alittle white lie hurts no one and avoids the issue so everyone can go about their business.

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #21 on: Sep 07, 2012, 11:59 AM »
I think this question has been completely answered at this point.

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Hondo Karr

• Awards Team Player - 1 of 2 Official Members who are best Matching Pair Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Sep 07, 2012, 12:34 PM »
. If anyone asked, real or fake, Id tell them it's them this "It's just a costume prop"

That's a statement that is completely factual and will most like be inferred as "fake" by the person asking. So, you can "Jedi Mind Trick" them without being dishonest.

;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!