Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Might this make a good vest?

• 8 Replies
Might this make a good vest?
« on: Sep 09, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Hey all,

I've been looking around for possible vest options and I suddenly realized I already own a military camo vest.

Here are some images:

The back:

It'll go on top of these overalls:

I'm merely wondering, if I were to bleach the vest and say, dye it black, would it possibly work for my Mando costume? It's got quite a few front pockets, though if I reverse it it's flat. One possible problem is that to put it on you have to open it from the middle with velcro so if I attach the metal parts it might be a bit tough to put on afterwards.

Either way, might this be a good idea? If not, anyone have any cheap alternatives for a good vest?

Do you think the porter and the cook have no anecdotes, no experiences, no wonders for you? The walls of their minds are scrawled all over with thoughts.

They shall one day bring a lantern and read the inscriptions.
Re: Might this make a good vest?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2012, 10:50 PM »
Anyone?

Do you think the porter and the cook have no anecdotes, no experiences, no wonders for you? The walls of their minds are scrawled all over with thoughts.

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2012, 11:33 PM »
No "Real world camo" allowed

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2012, 08:21 AM »
What he said. It wouldn't pass CRLs.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2012, 08:28 AM »
You'd have to pretty much strip it down from all the pockets, and straps, then dye it, and I don't think that material is a very good one when it comes to dye.

You could try a Molle Vest if it's a particular kind and the colors weren't earth based camo.

Cyrus Rang

• Go ahead and run...Chasing you is fun!
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Molle vest are the sort that need to be COMPLETELY covered by the armor plates.

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Molle vest are the sort that need to be COMPLETELY covered by the armor plates.

Yup :)

twistedxknights

• A.K.A. Thomar Ca Verd
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2012, 01:27 AM »
best solution if you have some sewing ability would be to make your own..

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/flak-vest-tutorial-draft-your-own-pattern-9926/

if not check local thrift shops for jackets or cheerleading tops you could modify..

« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2012, 12:10 AM »
Thanks all.

I submerged this thing in bleach for a whole day and it barely made the vest lighter. Apparently even bleach can't wash off cammo. Insane really.

So I bought a vest from one of the sellers here instead. :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!