Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

S-5 Heavy Blaster Pistol

• 4 Replies
S-5 Heavy Blaster Pistol
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:33 AM »
I'm new to prop building (and cosplay) but I have some experience with body work materials and a bit of fabrication experience from working on old cars and tractors. I've been thinking a lot about what I want for my first build. Of course weaponry is one of the first things I thought of. I have never particularly liked the pistols in SW, I've always favored the rifles. But I do like the S-5 Heavy Blaster Pistol from EP1. I have looked all over the internet and as far as I can tell no one has ever tried to make any of these pistols without the base Feinwerkbau/Beeman C55. I guess what I'm getting at is how hard do those of you with experience think it would be to make one of these pistols. They look rather complex in detail. Also input on what I could use to make them would be helpful.
Here's some references.
http://www.yourprops.com/Naboo-S-5-Heavy-Blaster-Pistol-replica-prop-weapons-Star-Wars-The-Phantom-Menace-1999-YP43752.html
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/S-5_heavy_blaster_pistol

The base pistol before it was modded for the movies

The Naboo Officer version

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: S-5 Heavy Blaster Pistol
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:41 PM »
I can think of Several Reasons why not many have Duplicated this Weapon .  :rolleyes:

But the Top of the list may be :

1) Difficulty ,  followed Closely by ( 1a  Weight ) .
2) It would be Tough to Holster Properly . 2a (Custom Holster needed $ $ $ )
3) Cost /  3a Time needed to Template this sucker .
4) Practicality of Carrying Such a Weapon by a Mandalorian .
5) Some People are Too Lazy to Try ....  :laugh:
6) Fear of Failure .
7) Lack of Skills Needed .
8) Access to Tools needed to Replicate .
9) Cost to have Pieces made for you .
10) ______Your Excuse Here ________

But with all that Said .... I'd Love to Watch a W.I.P. of one of these From Scratch ... ;D

Go For it Ner'vod ...  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Ori Dart

• Just some random mir'sheb...
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Adding to what ConDar listed, this isn't exactly a common firearm that one could obtain and then mould. I like the officer version, myself.

If you have enough reference photos and you've got the time, I'd say go for it. 

Oya!

Andry         ; )

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46 PM »
It has been done in the past. I wouldn't be able to tell you the maker but I have seen resin cast props of this gun. So while difficult it IS possible.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:56 PM »
I can think of Several Reasons why not many have Duplicated this Weapon .  :rolleyes:

But the Top of the list may be :

1) Difficulty ,  followed Closely by ( 1a  Weight ) .
2) It would be Tough to Holster Properly . 2a (Custom Holster needed $ $ $ )
3) Cost /  3a Time needed to Template this sucker .
4) Practicality of Carrying Such a Weapon by a Mandalorian .
5) Some People are Too Lazy to Try ....  :laugh:
6) Fear of Failure .
7) Lack of Skills Needed .
8) Access to Tools needed to Replicate .
9) Cost to have Pieces made for you .
10) ______Your Excuse Here ________

But with all that Said .... I'd Love to Watch a W.I.P. of one of these From Scratch ... ;D

Go For it Ner'vod ...  8)
These are all things I've been thinking of. The main things that I was worried about was the amount of detail on the pistol. And what materials to use on it. I have been thinking of using wood and aluminum tubing. Its the fins that go over the barrel that I'm most unsure on. If I just carved it from wood I think I'd be worried about ever damaging it. IMO weight isn't a big deal. It's not going to weigh more than anything I've had to carry around before ;)
As for making templates... I don't know I'd ever make more than one. But if I can do it once I know I could do it again.
And practicality, I think it is perfect for a Mando. It's a blaster with a punch and it shoots a variety of useful things from the dart launcher. Though maybe I'm thinking too Bounty Hunter. For a warrior it may have a few too many doodads on it.
Adding to what ConDar listed, this isn't exactly a common firearm that one could obtain and then mould. I like the officer version, myself.

If you have enough reference photos and you've got the time, I'd say go for it. 
It is not at all common, the base weapon nor any of the prop pistols used in the film. I actually looked online for the Beeman C55 and I couldn't find anything but the 5 round clips for it. The similar guns I did find were upwards of $1500. My grandfather does competition shooting, so I'm going to ask him if he happens to know someone that does any air pistol marksmanship. If so and they happen to have the pistol I can possibly get measurements on the actual gun, if not a mold of it.
It has been done in the past. I wouldn't be able to tell you the maker but I have seen resin cast props of this gun. So while difficult it IS possible.
The only ones I've seen that were the resin props were out of the movie, and they were molded off of the modified air pistol. At least that's what I gather from my research.

I dont think I could use this for my first pistol, as it will take time to complete. But I am interested in making one. I'll keep this thread updated, though it may be a couple months before I'm able to start on it. I appreciate the input and the encouragement. ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!