Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Does the girth/kama need a back panel (Pics pgs. 3 & 4)

No! ...Keep it simple!
Yes! ...Hide yer rear!

Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP

• 294 Replies

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP
« Reply #125 on: Sep 08, 2013, 05:18 PM »
You got this sussed bro.

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
« Reply #126 on: Sep 09, 2013, 01:28 PM »
Thanks Vode! ;)

Aaaand I have some more progress... ;D

Starting on greebling up the gaunts!

So I was on my way home the other day and spotted this on top of a "free pile" on the side of the road...
...So naturally I started by cutting it up! :P

Once I took the halves of the remote apart and trimmed it down I grabbed the "Scope/Sight" from the BK toy I used for my RF/COMM on my bucket, trimmed off the pivot mount and trimmed the remote for a tight fit...
...Right Gaunt thus far:

For the other gaunt I was looking at the charred tip of my old O2 sensor and instantly though "Mini Flamethrower", since I am going for a very streamlined look this works perfectly! So I took a piece of 1.5" copper pipe I had left from making my scope, split it and bent it into a P-strap and found some leftover parts from my Nitefinder to add as an extra retainer clip:
Left gaunt so far...

Oh yeah, and I added the hinges to the gaunts if you couldn't tell from the pics! :P

Whatcha think??

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2013, 11:58 AM by Jaa'det Otxoa » Logged
<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #127 on: Sep 09, 2013, 01:41 PM »
looking real nice vod ;) a good use of found greebs

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #128 on: Sep 09, 2013, 01:44 PM »
Really liking that scope and remote combination. Do you plan on back lighting the green display?

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #129 on: Sep 09, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Really liking that scope and remote combination. Do you plan on back lighting the green display?

Is the sky blue? Wait... don't answer that... I know, No, it's actually just a reflection of the water off the atmosophere... ???

But the answer is yes! ;D I have some spare green LED's that I can wire up from underneath to backlight the display that will be activated by one of the buttons on the remote. ;D

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #130 on: Sep 09, 2013, 02:42 PM »
But the answer is yes! ;D I have some spare green LED's that I can wire up from underneath to backlight the display that will be activated by one of the buttons on the remote. ;D

Excellent  8)

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #131 on: Sep 09, 2013, 04:56 PM »
Excellent  8)
Is it odd that I see a meme of an evil scientist rolling his hands with your bucket on his head when I read that?? :laugh: :-\ :-[...      ...:laugh:

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #132 on: Sep 09, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Is it odd that I see a meme of an evil scientist rolling his hands with your bucket on his head when I read that?? :laugh: :-\ :-[...      ...:laugh:
Not in the slightest :laugh: I like that gaunt a lot!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #133 on: Sep 18, 2013, 12:44 PM »
OK more updates...

I know, been a while (Had my daughter's 2nd bday last weekend and was making Super Grover 2.0 capes for the kiddies! ;))

So you remember the lower half of the Support bracket for the mini flamer?

Well here's what I did about a week ago with the upper part attached with some scraps of PVC:

And in place on the gaunt:

The gaps and missing corner will be filled with Bondo to smooth things out a bit better prior to the final mounting...

And last night I was cleaning up the rough edges from the support plates added to the knees and was staring at the left gaunt as if I had writer's (builder's) block :-\ , then started wandering around the basement looking for anything that would work as a greeb for the flamer gaunt... ???

Well, I found a cable grounding block, then RF cables, an old PC Power switch & indicators, A couple BNC connectors, the failed thermal switch I replaced in my dryer and a battery pod from a set of LED Christmas lights.
After about an hour or 2 of tinkering and dismantling this is what I came up with...

and an alternate arrangement of the "fuel chambers"

Now keep in mind nothing is screwed down or otherwise mounted so things are a bit "wonky" here... but what arrangement looks better? I'll be using the switch to activate the 2 LED's as well (as if I could have a non-functional LED anywhere on my kit! :laugh:)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Thaxos

« Reply #134 on: Sep 18, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Really liking that custom built greeblie, looks great!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #135 on: Sep 23, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Thanks Thaxos!

So I mounted a few of the greebs that I knew I wanted in certain positions (Custom support bracket, copper flamer brace, "Dart mount"
and then wasn't too keen on the original layouts... they seemed a bit too busy on top! :-\

So I pulled everything that wasn't mounted and started to lay everything out again...

I re-positioned the "Distribution block" to the side of the gaunt behind the flamer mount and rerouted the cabling for the dart throwers and the repositioned activation switch through the upper part of the custom support bracket, then filled the open back portion with another Nerf greeb...

So do ya'll think this layout is better?  ???

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

z2the4

• Light side or darkside, they both pay the same.
« Reply #136 on: Sep 24, 2013, 05:35 PM »
if I lie and say no, can I have them ;)

Thaxos

« Reply #137 on: Sep 24, 2013, 05:48 PM »
That layout looks great.

No freebies for z2the4  :rolleyes:

z2the4

• Light side or darkside, they both pay the same.
« Reply #138 on: Sep 24, 2013, 08:33 PM »
That layout looks great.

Well.. no girl scout cookies will be coming to your house, I will set up a blockade.

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #139 on: Sep 25, 2013, 10:43 AM »
if I lie and say no, can I have them ;)
:laugh: HAHA....
                   no...  :blank:
Didn't your momma teach you it's not nice to lie??? :laugh:

That layout looks great.

Well.. no girl scout cookies will be coming to your house, I will set up a blockade.
Thanks Vod, and no worries about freebies here, I worked hard to scrounge those greebs up, between rummaging through leftovers at yard sales and toy swaps and keeping track of the parts I replaced on my car that's some hard work! :laugh:
(P.S. My wife is one of my stepdaughter's GS leaders, I'm sure I can get some cookies around z2the4's blockade! :P :laugh: ;))

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #140 on: Sep 25, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Those gauntlets are looking great man! As expected ;D

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #141 on: Oct 02, 2013, 10:50 PM »
I have updates!!  ;D

So first just a quick update on the gaunts...
- What I did here:
1. Final layer of Bondo and sanding/shaping
2. Mounting the rear guard plate (and notching the cable guide to fit)
3. Sanding the logos off of the guard plate

I was also trying to figure out how to mount the "distribution block" to the side, since it had a recessed lip with little surface area for the glue to grab on to I cut a piece of PVC and made a plate that fit into the shallow recess and epoxied the plate to the block:

Once dry it was mounted using PVC cement directly to the side of the upper clamshell! (Sorry, no pics  ???)
So this gaunt is pretty much ready for primer! ;D

And on to the backplate...
So in my original concept I have a Biker Scout style pack, so I happened across this broom vac/dustbuster thing with some pretty interesting curves and shapes to it sitting in a "free pile" on my way to work, (hey, don't judge... I warend you this was a budget build! :laugh:)
So I took the dust bin off and roughly chopped the side down to fit the curve of the backplate (Really rough, like almost not really close :P)
Well after many hours of shaping, mounting, remounting, adding bracing, changing bracing and greeb searching this is what I have!

The greeb on the right side and the fuel hose on the left are actually hiding the bolts that hold the center mounting brackets to the housing.
I still have to fill all the gaps with Bondo and glue the top cover plate to the housing, build the "targeting microcomputer that will be mounted on the right shoulder and run the wiring for it into the body of the housing before I can get this thing into primer...

So how's it look?? ???   

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #142 on: Oct 04, 2013, 08:47 PM »
loving the look of the back plate vod ;)

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #143 on: Oct 04, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Some genius use of freebies and a good eye too, looking great!

The Wolf who stalks your dreams

Armour - 50%
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=76364.0
Weapon Melee - 25%
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=76207.0
Weapon Blaster 0%

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #144 on: Oct 28, 2013, 04:33 PM »
PROGRESS!! ;D

Sorry I have been off of the boards for a while (between my folks being up from AR and getting the house ready for a week before they did! 2 Ren faires (one of which I won the cosplay contest for guys over 18 with my Jedi costume! :P)

But I have made some progress! ;D
(These may not be in the exact order that they were done but you will get the idea! ???)

So the first is cleaning up the seams on the backplate/pack, I decided to hide all the rivets with Bondo...

Round 1:

And round 2:

I also installed the battery box for the "Targeting nano computer" that will be mounted on the right shoulder of the backplate...

First was to cut an opening for the battery box that was a little wider than and slightly shorter than the battery box:

Next I cut a cardboard box to protect the battery box and allow me to remove it from the backplate to replace the batteries and also maintain access to the power switch, then taped it in place under the fuel pack:

and with the battery pack in place:

Now, with the battery still in place I filled most of the void with expanding foam:
(This was all done prior to/during the bondo work! :P)

Next was all the previous Bondo work done...

Now you may ask "What is this Targeting computer you speak of??"

I'm glad you asked...
    ...This is it:

Well, the beginning of it anyways, this is the template on the box I'm using for the holes to be drilled for the LED's

And after the holes are drilled before being fitted with the light string:

Here's the light string after being shortened from almost 6' long!

But prior to wiring it up I had to shape the bottom to fit the curve of the backplate (it won't be glued in place in case I need to rewire it for any reason, I'll be using machine screws to hold it down):

And with the lights installed with hot glue:

Lights ON!

And a quick vid:

I also got some polyester dye and re-dyed the flightsuit...
            ...in a crockpot!!!

Think it came out pretty much exactly the dark gray/charcoal color I wanted:

Still have some additional progress on the gaunts with electronics for the LED indicators and the viewscreen, but sadly won't make my original Halloween night deadline (I'm not gonna rush just to get it done, i want this to be the best kit it can be!

So what do my Vode think???

Am I doin' alright with the ideas? Also, any suggestions on how to mount the backplate would be appreciated!!! Harness?? Velcro?? Magic??

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2013, 04:37 PM by Jaa'det Otxoa » Logged

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #145 on: Nov 04, 2013, 03:43 PM »
Quick update...

Backplate pretty much ready for paint...

So here's what I've done since the last post:  ;D
1. Mounted the "Targeting system micro computer" on the right shoulder including the "power converter" cable connection
2. Added detail to the exterior of the micro-comp including the connector for the data cables to the right gaunt
3. Shortened the cable to the  battery pack for the LED's in the micro-comp and soldered in a quick disconnect
4. Re-purposed the 2 little green "fuel cell" greebs I had on my flamer gaunt and turned them into cable/hose guards for the fuel hose and data cables

Overall shots:

Hose/cable routing:

Modified battery cable from inside:

I also filled the gap between the cable guards and the shoulder using Kwik Plastic:

Well, I think this thing is pretty much ready for paint!  ;D

Time to finish up the wiring on the gaunts and get these suckers into primer!  ;)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

UnFathomable

• Now where did I put that hydrospanner!?
« Reply #146 on: Nov 04, 2013, 04:02 PM »
Awesome work so far really like the electronics and the back plate! This thing is going to be awesome once its finished! ;D

Ver. 1.2 Smartphone gauntlet, and upgrades

My build thread>>http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=68967.0

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #147 on: Nov 04, 2013, 10:37 PM »
Smoothing out those rivets was definitely the way to go! It looks so much cleaner now :)

Everything else is looking good too :D

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #148 on: Nov 12, 2013, 09:10 AM »
Thanks Vode! ;D

Trying to get this thing done before the end of the year, most parts are ready for paint  just need to figure out the best way to mount the back plate (thinking a combination of a harness/velcro will be the best) and get the alignment where the collar plate and the back plates meet on the shoulder to line up so I can make the pieces butt together and then attach them with leather plates over the shoulder .

And some more electronic fun...

Worked on the right "targeting" gaunt a bit more and added some lighting...
Off:

On:

The reticle is based off of the one from my blaster's scope (been slightly tweaked to display a better kill shot on the target! :laugh:) and uses the same method for obscuring the image while the light is off (cut a piece out of the original T-visor from the J2P and mounted just behind the green lens)
A momentary pushbutton switch will be mounted where the hole is on the keypad and I am making a custom 3 AAA inline battery holder (since apparently nobody uses 3 AAA batteries in a straight line :rolleyes:)

So, you like?? Oh yeah, any suggestions on the backplate mounting would be appreciated! ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #149 on: Nov 12, 2013, 10:47 AM »
1st. velcro ;)

2nd.   love that gaunt vod ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!