Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Does the girth/kama need a back panel (Pics pgs. 3 & 4)

No! ...Keep it simple!
Yes! ...Hide yer rear!

Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP

• 294 Replies

Coreysnaps

• Kaiya Ardellian
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP
« Reply #165 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:25 PM »
I see a zipper pull...:)

"...I leave to the discretion of the MMCC merch officer." 

If you have a Supply question, please ask here: Here

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #166 on: Dec 02, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Works very well indeed. I really like the looks of this!!  :)

Kyr Vykos

• Working - slowly - on first kit
« Reply #167 on: Dec 02, 2013, 05:09 PM »
Kandosii, ner vod. Kandosii.

Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa.

Aliit ori'shya taldin.

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
« Reply #168 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:58 AM »
I think that works pretty well vod to hide what the pack was originally  ;)
Works very well indeed. I really like the looks of this!!  :)
Kandosii, ner vod. Kandosii.
Thanks Vode!

I see a zipper pull...:)
And Corey... :P
I gotta hide my twinkies somewhere! :laugh: and no zipper pull would make it very difficult to get to them!! ;D

Well I was able to successfully fix the finish on the flamer gaunt and re-clear it with no crazing this time! ;D
So I started adding the electronics now, first thing was to remove the masking and mount the LED's and switch pod with some E6000:

All parts are pre-weathered and cleared with satin clearcoat, prior to starting the painting process on the gaunt I masked the area where the switch/LED pod was to be mounted so I had a clean surface to bond to (bonding to paint NEVER goes well for me! :rolleyes:)

Next, for the LED's I drilled a hole from under the shield at the back of the gaunt and routed the leads for the LED's and the switch through to the inside of the gaunt.
Then I gutted a little flashing LED reflector my kids picked up at a fair (and broke :P) to use to activate the LED's
I de-soldered the LED's and the switch from the board and wired it to the leads for the switch and LED's:

Then I used the same double AAA battery holder from Radio shack for the power source, split it and mounted it with E6000 as I did on the targeting gaunt:

I also did some weathering on the other metal greebs...
Here is the copper strap to hold the flamethrower nozzle after being degreased in salt water:
**OOOO, SHINY** :laugh:

And then after salt/venegar soak and taking a torch to it! (This was fun!! ;D)

Then after the protective satin clear coat:

And the dart emitters after black/brown wash and satin clear coat:

I'll get some more pics of the assembled gaunt tonight as well as a video of the operation of the LED's!  ;)

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Kyr Vykos

• Working - slowly - on first kit
« Reply #169 on: Dec 04, 2013, 05:08 PM »
That is some kandosii progress, ner vod. I like what you did with that copper strap.

Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa.

Aliit ori'shya taldin.
« Reply #170 on: Dec 04, 2013, 05:38 PM »
You continue to shine on these boards 8). Such a well shaped kit, one of my favorites.

"Remember the weakness of weapons, they are an extension.
You are the killer and the destroyer.
You are whole, with or without them."
-Richard K. Morgan-

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #171 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:53 AM »
That is some kandosii progress, ner vod. I like what you did with that copper strap.

Thanks Vod! I was going for the authentic look... with fire!! :laugh:

You continue to shine on these boards 8). Such a well shaped kit, one of my favorites.

Much appreciated! I'm just wanting to make this kit the best it can be... on a super tight budget! :P

AAAAAND More updates!!

Well I got my flamer gaunt completed last night! ;D

Check it out...

and some detail pics...
- Activation pod

- Dart emitters

- Outside/Distribution block

- Flamethrower

And, as promised, a quick vid with an overview of the gaunt and showing off the lighting! ;D

So is this passable?? Think I'm definitely going to have to be adding some plates to the gloves (For protection from the flamethrower ya know!)

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Volpes

• What the fox say?
« Reply #172 on: Dec 05, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Wow! Amazing gaunts and concept!

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #173 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Very Nice vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Sidi Ren

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #174 on: Dec 14, 2013, 03:34 AM »
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I wish I could apply my detail to sewing into making the fun stuff. It seems to allude me when it comes to adding SW details to my armor. You have inspired me to remake my gaunts. They are bulky, boring and need a revitalization. What is the base material?

Keep it up! Love the paint job too!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #175 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Wow! Amazing gaunts and concept!
Very Nice vod ;)
Thanks Vode!! ;D

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I wish I could apply my detail to sewing into making the fun stuff. It seems to allude me when it comes to adding SW details to my armor. You have inspired me to remake my gaunts. They are bulky, boring and need a revitalization. What is the base material?

Keep it up! Love the paint job too!
Wow, Thank you very much ;D

I'm sure you can get that detail in there with the greebs, my thought process is pretty much this...
1. Does it look like a functional part?
2. Does it look too "earthy" - if so MOD IT!
3. Does it look like anything similar to what is in any Star Wars Movie, show, comic, illustration, etc??? If so you're doin' it right!
4. Does it match my kit?? (Sometimes this doesn't matter if you have a good backstory for it... ;) Like the reasoning for my targeting gaunt ;D)
5. Can I make it light up??
Well, you kinda get the idea...  ??? :P
When looking for greebs realize that almost anything can be modded and adapted to your use!
I've picked up greebs anywhere from toy swaps, to old models/toys, to scrap material, to parts I've replaced on my car! Most of which were free!
Just know that in some cases less can be more, look at the bracers used in TCW... very simple, but effective and purposeful!

As far as your question about the base material all the plates are made out of 4" thin-wall sewer/drain PVC from Lowes. The Gaunt build started on Pg 7 about 3/4 down the page with the knees. I have some decent documentation on the build process, if you have any questions on what I did, don't hesitate to ask here or via PM ;D

Good luck with the upgrades!

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #176 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Getting closer here! ;D

So I finally got my Velcro in to mount the plates on my Flak vest!  :P
I got about 8.25' of 1.5" wide mil-spec sew-on Velcro (20 x 5" long pieces) from Ebay and started cutting, trimming and mounting the "hook" side onto my plates with E6000! ???

Then, starting with the collar, and working my way down from there to keep the spacing even as possible sewed in all of the corresponding "loops" onto the flak vest:

(I would sew in the loops for the collar, mount it, test fit, align next pair of plates marking where the corners lay on one side, then mirrored the measurements for the positioning of the loops, test fit again and continued repeating until all chest and shoulder plates are mounted)

And the test fit: ;)

A few things I saw once things were mounted :rolleyes:
1. Shoulder bells need to be flattened a little bit to remove some of the bagginess at the shoulders (and probably brought up a few mm)
2. Chest plates are mounted with only 1 strip of Velcro currently because I needed to figure out if the "tusks" needed to be reshaped...
            ...they do :-[
3. So, reshape the "tusks" to lay a bit flatter and add more Velcro!
3. Lower ab plates need to be brought towards the center about 5 mm to even the gap

Think that just about covers it... ???

So... comments, critiques, suggestions???  :-\

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Coreysnaps

• Kaiya Ardellian
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #177 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:53 AM »
 It would help your shoulder problem a LOT  if you added some padding to the shoulders on the vest.  Just enough for them to sick outa bit from your arms.  This will also prevent the bobble head  look when you add your bucket.

"...I leave to the discretion of the MMCC merch officer." 

If you have a Supply question, please ask here: Here

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #178 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:13 PM »
It would help your shoulder problem a LOT  if you added some padding to the shoulders on the vest.  Just enough for them to sick outa bit from your arms.  This will also prevent the bobble head  look when you add your bucket.
Vor'e!!  ;)
I think I have some extra camp foam that I can cut to shape an put inside the sleevlets as well as slightly flattening the shoulder bells (they are kind of "pinching" the sleeves at the moment :P)...

...No "Bobble-head Mando" for me! LOL!! :laugh:

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #179 on: Dec 21, 2013, 10:18 AM »
Looking Nice vod ;) once you get those tusks sorted it will be awesoooome ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!