Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Does the girth/kama need a back panel (Pics pgs. 3 & 4)

No! ...Keep it simple!
Yes! ...Hide yer rear!

Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP

• 294 Replies

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
Re: Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP
« Reply #175 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Wow! Amazing gaunts and concept!
Very Nice vod ;)
Thanks Vode!! ;D

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! I wish I could apply my detail to sewing into making the fun stuff. It seems to allude me when it comes to adding SW details to my armor. You have inspired me to remake my gaunts. They are bulky, boring and need a revitalization. What is the base material?

Keep it up! Love the paint job too!
Wow, Thank you very much ;D

I'm sure you can get that detail in there with the greebs, my thought process is pretty much this...
1. Does it look like a functional part?
2. Does it look too "earthy" - if so MOD IT!
3. Does it look like anything similar to what is in any Star Wars Movie, show, comic, illustration, etc??? If so you're doin' it right!
4. Does it match my kit?? (Sometimes this doesn't matter if you have a good backstory for it... ;) Like the reasoning for my targeting gaunt ;D)
5. Can I make it light up??
Well, you kinda get the idea...  ??? :P
When looking for greebs realize that almost anything can be modded and adapted to your use!
I've picked up greebs anywhere from toy swaps, to old models/toys, to scrap material, to parts I've replaced on my car! Most of which were free!
Just know that in some cases less can be more, look at the bracers used in TCW... very simple, but effective and purposeful!

As far as your question about the base material all the plates are made out of 4" thin-wall sewer/drain PVC from Lowes. The Gaunt build started on Pg 7 about 3/4 down the page with the knees. I have some decent documentation on the build process, if you have any questions on what I did, don't hesitate to ask here or via PM ;D

Good luck with the upgrades!

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #176 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Getting closer here! ;D

So I finally got my Velcro in to mount the plates on my Flak vest!  :P
I got about 8.25' of 1.5" wide mil-spec sew-on Velcro (20 x 5" long pieces) from Ebay and started cutting, trimming and mounting the "hook" side onto my plates with E6000! ???

Then, starting with the collar, and working my way down from there to keep the spacing even as possible sewed in all of the corresponding "loops" onto the flak vest:

(I would sew in the loops for the collar, mount it, test fit, align next pair of plates marking where the corners lay on one side, then mirrored the measurements for the positioning of the loops, test fit again and continued repeating until all chest and shoulder plates are mounted)

And the test fit: ;)

A few things I saw once things were mounted :rolleyes:
1. Shoulder bells need to be flattened a little bit to remove some of the bagginess at the shoulders (and probably brought up a few mm)
2. Chest plates are mounted with only 1 strip of Velcro currently because I needed to figure out if the "tusks" needed to be reshaped...
            ...they do :-[
3. So, reshape the "tusks" to lay a bit flatter and add more Velcro!
3. Lower ab plates need to be brought towards the center about 5 mm to even the gap

Think that just about covers it... ???

So... comments, critiques, suggestions???  :-\

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Coreysnaps

• Kaiya Ardellian
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #177 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:53 AM »
 It would help your shoulder problem a LOT  if you added some padding to the shoulders on the vest.  Just enough for them to sick outa bit from your arms.  This will also prevent the bobble head  look when you add your bucket.

"...I leave to the discretion of the MMCC merch officer." 

If you have a Supply question, please ask here: Here

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #178 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:13 PM »
It would help your shoulder problem a LOT  if you added some padding to the shoulders on the vest.  Just enough for them to sick outa bit from your arms.  This will also prevent the bobble head  look when you add your bucket.
Vor'e!!  ;)
I think I have some extra camp foam that I can cut to shape an put inside the sleevlets as well as slightly flattening the shoulder bells (they are kind of "pinching" the sleeves at the moment :P)...

...No "Bobble-head Mando" for me! LOL!! :laugh:

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #179 on: Dec 21, 2013, 10:18 AM »
Looking Nice vod ;) once you get those tusks sorted it will be awesoooome ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #180 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:17 PM »

Coldonne

• Coldonne Adams
« Reply #181 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:50 AM »
That is kandosii!  I want to put electronics onto the armor I'm planning but I'm no good with rigging things without some kind of  tutorial  :'( by the way, would you mind if I borrow your vacuum dust cover Idea?  I want to see if I can't make a rocket/comm pack out of it.

"Dead or alive you're coming with me." - Murphy
Soft Parts: 15%
Hard Parts: 0%
Weapons: 0%
Trophies: 30%

Pesh 'katar

• Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #182 on: Jan 02, 2014, 06:31 AM »
Dude.

Been away for a bit, haven't been keeping up to date on others folks WIPS. This is LOOKIN' GOOD!!! Hit me up on FB sometime, I wanna pick your brain about that armored pack you did... Nice work, ner'vod!!

OM #0885

BLUE MOON CLAN Official Member #11

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #183 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:39 PM »

:laugh: HAHA! :laugh:
Vor'e Vod!

That is kandosii!  I want to put electronics onto the armor I'm planning but I'm no good with rigging things without some kind of  tutorial  :'( by the way, would you mind if I borrow your vacuum dust cover Idea?  I want to see if I can't make a rocket/comm pack out of it.
Go for it Vod! I don't mind people borrowing my ideas...
    ...as long as you give 'em back when you're done... HAHA, I kid :laugh:
And if you need some help with wiring I'm always willing to help where I can Vod, just a PM away ;D

Dude.

Been away for a bit, haven't been keeping up to date on others folks WIPS. This is LOOKIN' GOOD!!! Hit me up on FB sometime, I wanna pick your brain about that armored pack you did... Nice work, ner'vod!!
Will do Vod!

Looking Nice vod ;) once you get those tusks sorted it will be awesoooome ;)
Vor'e Vod!
Ask and ye shall receive! ;)

Mods from the last pics:
- Got the "tusks" sorted and additional Velcro added for them
- Reshaped the top peak of the upper ab piece as it was jutting out when looking at the kit in profile
- Relocate the lower split ab plates in about 3mm each to match the gap between the pectoral plates

Velcro additions/relocations:

All chest plates in place:

Some of the plates are a little tweaked but being that they are attached by Velcro it should be an easy adjustmernt ;D

NEXT UP:
Mounting the back plate!  :P

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Kyr Vykos

• Working - slowly - on first kit
« Reply #184 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Vod, that is looking good. Kandosii.

Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa.

Aliit ori'shya taldin.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #185 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:06 PM »
That's a sharp looking vest, can't wait to see those plates painted up.

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #186 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:41 AM »
These here are some nice custom plates!!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #187 on: Jan 14, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Small update... :P

OK, while I was sewing on the Velcro for the backplate I realized that I never did another test-fit after reshaping/repositioning the plates ???

So here are a few shots (Please excuse the hazy pics, I forgot to clean the lens before taking the pics :-[):
Front shot showing the improved spacing of the lower plates:

Side shot showing the improved contour of the ab and chest plates:

And finally a shot showing that the plates are actually not stabbing me when I bend or crouch! ;D

Sorry no pics with the backplate installed (I ran out of thread to mount the 2 largest strips of Velcro to the vest :P), I'll get those up as soon as I'm able to get some more upholstery thread to hold the Velcro onto the vest (Should be tonight  ;))

Stay tuned! 8)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Kyr Vykos

• Working - slowly - on first kit
« Reply #188 on: Jan 14, 2014, 12:00 PM »
You've done good work, vod.

Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa.

Aliit ori'shya taldin.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #189 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Very Nice vod ;)

One thing  :rolleyes: the spacing between the collar is a lot smaller than the other plates and it looks a fair bit wider

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Sidi Ren

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #190 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:29 PM »
I agree with Niabi but otherwise, awesome job spacing and fitting them!

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #191 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Very Nice vod ;)

One thing  :rolleyes: the spacing between the collar is a lot smaller than the other plates and it looks a fair bit wider

Not that big of an issue...

If you look at this Jango (Arturo Delgado's kit, which is arguably the best Jango out there), you'll see that the space between the collar and chest plates is significantly smaller than the space between the other pieces...

It's a good observation on Niabi's part, and if you can easily do something about the spacing, you could pull them a bit apart. But if not, I don't think it's a deal breaker.

Eman'nelo

• You won't win this fight...
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume
« Reply #192 on: Jan 14, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I gotta say, I've been watching this thread for quite some time and the amount of detail is simply amazing!  I personally cannot wait to see this kit in person completed.  With that said, I have to agree with kelan. Although a bit more space would be nice, I think it looks fine the way it is.  Now get that back plate attached and start painting!  ;D

Armor WIP               Gallery             Invasions: 32

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #193 on: Jan 14, 2014, 10:50 PM »
I gotta say, I've been watching this thread for quite some time and the amount of detail is simply amazing!  I personally cannot wait to see this kit in person completed.  With that said, I have to agree with kelan. Although a bit more space would be nice, I think it looks fine the way it is.  Now get that back plate attached and start painting!  ;D

I feel the exact way! I love where you're going with this! But Gosh Darnit, I wanna see it all at once!

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #194 on: Jan 15, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Very Nice vod ;)

Thanks Niabi, I did notice that after taking the pictures, luckily it is all velcroed in place and I have a few mm of wiggle room! ;)
As far as the width, I was going to trim the corners down at a slight angle to match up with the outer corners of the chest plates as well!

Not that big of an issue...

If you look at this Jango (Arturo Delgado's kit, which is arguably the best Jango out there), you'll see that the space between the collar and chest plates is significantly smaller than the space between the other pieces...

It's a good observation on Niabi's part, and if you can easily do something about the spacing, you could pull them a bit apart. But if not, I don't think it's a deal breaker.
Thanks for the reference pic Kelan! Although I do intend to space it out just a little more, the gap between the chest plates and the collar is intentionally less than the other plates (although it's not supposed to be quite that small :rolleyes:) as I remembered that Jango's are not completely even for flexibility purposes just as shown in your pic!

You've done good work, vod.
I feel the exact way! I love where you're going with this! But Gosh Darnit, I wanna see it all at once!

Thanks for the encouragement Vode! I'm working on it, I promise  :P

I just tend to be a bit of a perfectionist (that is probably why I have test fit each one of these plates probably a dozen times while sewing on the Velcro "loops" to the vest to make sure they are in the right position, which was an obvious "FAIL" :-[)

I was able to get the upholstery thread for the lower large Velcro patches for the backplate and for the kidney guards and get the loops sewn to the back of the vest and got a test fit in doing chores for a bit with the backplate in place with no issues, I was thinking I may need a harness for the backplate but between the fit of the vest and the Velcro I'm using it doesn't seem necessary! ;D

So hopefully tonight I'll be able to trim down the corners of the collar, flatten out the shoulder bells just a bit more and mount all of the plates for a final test fit once the E6000 dries on the kidney plates! ;)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #195 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:00 AM »
Ok after taking the suggestions given I have made a few final tweaks to the plates prior to this thing going to paint!  ;) 

So here's the list:
- Got the Velcro glued to the back plates and corresponding pieces sewn to the vest.
- Reshaped the shoulder bells, again :rolleyes:
- Trimmed the outer corners of the collarplate to match the chest plates.
- Re-spaced the chest plates to fix the gap between the collar/chest plates!

Front shot showing trimmed collar and respaced plates:

Profile with backplate and reshaped shoulderbells:

Back with backplate and kidney guards:

Next stop...  ...final sanding and paint! ;)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #196 on: Jan 18, 2014, 12:27 AM »
Looking solid, vod!  Glad to see this kit coming together!

Naren Sprax

• So I says to Mable, I says...
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #197 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:48 AM »
Great stuff! Love the backplate!  8)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #198 on: Jan 19, 2014, 02:29 PM »
awesome stuff vod ;) Keep it up

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!