Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Does the girth/kama need a back panel (Pics pgs. 3 & 4)

No! ...Keep it simple!
Yes! ...Hide yer rear!

Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP

• 294 Replies

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
Re: Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP
« Reply #250 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:08 PM »
I never clear coated any of my armor................. it's funny though cause i have a rivet from my pauldron that rubs my collar piece, and it's only worn it down to the primer coat.. not through it. looks mighty realistic too..  :laugh: so for me bumps and scratches are just free weathering lol

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
« Reply #251 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I never clear coated any of my armor................. it's funny though cause i have a rivet from my pauldron that rubs my collar piece, and it's only worn it down to the primer coat.. not through it. looks mighty realistic too..  :laugh: so for me bumps and scratches are just free weathering lol
The main purpose of the clear coat (besides protection) is to even out the finish on the parts, some were painted with gloss black and others were painted with matte black :P
The matte clear coat evens it all out to a nice evenly colored finish! ;)

Oh yeah here are a couple shots of the greeblies installed and weathered on the fuel tank (the whole thing also has 1 coat of matte clear too!)

So I was trying to figure out how I was going to mount both the boba pouches and my holster and got to looking at my Jedi belt for inspiration:

I figured that if I use a 2 layer belt I can slide the boba pouches over the under belt (2.5" wide) and then mount the ammo pouches and holster to the top belt (1.25" - 1.5" wide). So I'm about to order a leather strap to use for the under belt and use a nylon belt that matches the one on my grab-it pack for the outer belt! Just gotta decide if I want dark brown to match the other leather that I'm using or black??? :-\ :P :-\

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #252 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Personal choice, I would go with brown.

Also, VERY nice work my man! This is shaping up to be one heck of a kit!!

Kyr Vykos

• Working - slowly - on first kit
« Reply #253 on: Feb 27, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Once again, you, sir, have blown my mind. Great work. I really love that holster, too.

Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa.

Aliit ori'shya taldin.

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #254 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:55 AM »
Personal choice, I would go with brown.

Also, VERY nice work my man! This is shaping up to be one heck of a kit!!
Vor'e Vod! And that was the direction I was leaning anyways, should have the brown one today! ;)

Once again, you, sir, have blown my mind. Great work. I really love that holster, too.
Much appreciated Vod!

Speaking of the holster... ???

I was trying to fit it onto the web belt and realized that the belt loop is actually too small for the buckles to fit through!  :-[ :P
So I did this:

Adding the snaps will let me snap it over the belt without having to worry about the buckles...
... I also added a tab to the snap for the tie-down strap to make it easier to open! ;)

And I also attached a belt to the codpiece with some leather backers:

And a test fit:

I also got the knees done... Riveted the slide adjuster on using some leather strips and added a heavy duty elastic straps from a pair of shin guards I picked up at a recent toy swap, again riveted down with leather backers to prevent tear-through. I also painted and weathered the rivets ;D

And the test fit:

Just waiting on the dark brown under belt to wrap that up that piece and some weathering to do on the half chaps
(should be pretty easy considering I have some dirty snow hills outside I can go tromping through!) :laugh:

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Vindar Falco

• Honor, Valor and Integrity
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #255 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Wow. kit is looking good.  8)

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #256 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Wow. kit is looking good.  8)
Vor'e Vod!!

And I got the under layer for the ammo belt in: ;D

Yes, it is a guitar strap! :laugh: Picked it up on Ebay for less than $10!
(Hey Kelan, it's brown Canadian leather! ;))

The reason I used the guitar strap was because it is pre-dyed through and through and is 2.5" wide, exactly the size the the belt loops on my Boba pouches!

I just removed the adjustable strap and trimmed the ends to match (one was slightly rounder than the other :P). then I found the center point and added 4 - 13mm (1/2") wide belt loops spacing them evenly from the center so they line up with the ends of the ammo pouches and hold the upper strap in place at the ends. The upper strap is 2 adjustable nylon tie down belts that I added the buckle to and riveted at the middle with an aluminium plate to hide the open ends:

And the test fit with the cod and kama/girth belt! ;D

So All I should have left to do is:
- Assemble the backplate
- Add padding to the inside of the gauntlets (to keep them from twisting :P)
- figure out how to attach the gaunt cables inside the upper sleeve of the flight suit
- Re-glue the edges down on some of the Velcro patches
- Weather the holster and half-chaps

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!  ;D

:o :o Fierfek, its a train!!!!! :laugh:

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #257 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:08 PM »
Keep up the excellent work, looking good!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #258 on: Mar 05, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Keep up the excellent work, looking good!
Thanks Moose'alor! 8)

And out of the things left to do I was able to cross a few off last night/this morning: ;D
- Assemble the backplate
- Add padding to the inside of the gauntlets (to keep them from twisting :P)
- figure out how to attach the gaunt cables inside the upper sleeve of the flight suit

and to prove it here's my gauntlets:

and my backplate:

and a close-up of the weathering on the "targeting mini-comp"

Down to the last little bit here...  ???
Hoping to get some pre-app pics up soon!

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Kyr Vykos

• Working - slowly - on first kit
« Reply #259 on: Mar 06, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Wow, vod. You've made some amazing progress on an amazing project. :)

Munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa.

Aliit ori'shya taldin.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #260 on: Mar 07, 2014, 10:45 AM »
 :o wow thats some great looking work there vod ;) Love it all

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #261 on: Mar 07, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Wow, vod. You've made some amazing progress on an amazing project. :)
:o wow thats some great looking work there vod ;) Love it all
Vor'e Vode!

Well those last couple things...

I figured out the best way to attach the cabling was with snaps...
So I added snaps to the inner sleeve just behind the center line and about an inch from the shoulder seam backed with 19mm x 19mm pleather backers
(I also put a dab of e6000 on the fabric itself to keep it from fraying):

I then made tabs to hold the tops of the cabling out of the same thin pleather material with the snap tops on them:

And with the parts in place:

I also had a bit of fun with weathering the holster ;D...
So I had it ride around in the snow left in the bed of my truck to and from work (30 minutes each way), sat on the dash in the sun all day, rubbed on the tires covered in sand/salt mix, thrown in the bottom of the log carrier while I brought wood in for the woodstove, then washed with a very thin black/brown wash (a couple dabs of brown and  a dab of black to about 1/4 cup of water, dabbed and smeared on with a paper towel) and is now sitting on the dash again!

So I'm pretty much ready for pre-app pics except for one thing...

...I forgot to make handplates!!! :-[ :rolleyes:

Well, hopefully will be able to get those knocked out pretty quick... :P
I'll try to get some pre-app pics up this weekend so y'all can tell me if I missed anything or have any suggestions! ;)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #262 on: Mar 08, 2014, 11:36 AM »
I want Pics  :P

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #263 on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:46 AM »
I want Pics  :P
Soon! ;)

Sorry guys... been a bit delayed, my wife has been in and out of the VA hospital/Doctors offices/Chiropractor for the last week with mystery muscle/organ pains so I've not had alot of time to get the pics...

But I did manage to get the last parts of my kit almost done while my wife and daughter were resting:  ;D

Cut, shaped, and test fit for sizing:

On to aluminium base coat:

Black base color and orange top coats applied with masking:

I just have to do the black/brown wash and clear coat, then glue the velcro to the bottom and make an elastic/velcro hand strap to hold it down!  ???

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #264 on: Mar 10, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Family comes 1st Vod ;) Hope they are OK.

Hand plates looks great ;D

Jaa'det Otxoa

Re: Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP (Pre-app pics pg. 18!)
« Reply #265 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Family comes 1st Vod ;) Hope they are OK.

Hand plates looks great ;D
Thanks Vod! She's doing much better now! ;)

And I got the hand plates weathered and clear coated and made the hand strap for them...

The strap is done similar to the way I've seen done on the 501st boards using a solid upper elastic strap then a bottom strap that velcros under the wrist

I also decided to make a couple braids for my shoulder:

These are actually my own "padawan braids" from a loooooong time ago (as in, they're my own hair :P)

Oh, and as requested...
Full kit pre-app pics! ;D

Buy'ce Off:

Front:

Left:

Right:

Back:

(I forgot to turn on the lights in the targeting mini-comp :-[)

Weapon:

(Not sure which would be best for app pic?  :-\)

Targeting bracer:

And and action shot just for fun:

OK Vode... I need critiques so I can send in my app!!!  ???

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #267 on: Mar 12, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Your right chest plate looks like it's overlapping just a bit on your collar plate. Might be the angle or might be that you just need to pull you vest down a bit on that side.

For the weapons pics, just take a picture of the weapon by itself or a close up in your hand.

Now, that being said... This is an AMAZING kit very well planned and extremely well executed. The color choices, patterns, choices of fabric... Very very well done.

AlFerus Dex

• Fear the reckoning of those you have wronged.
« Reply #268 on: Mar 12, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Wow! What a great build! And super inspirational for a first-go, too! Keep up the great work, vod!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #269 on: Mar 12, 2014, 01:09 PM »
great looking kit there  ... well done
Wow! What a great build! And super inspirational for a first-go, too! Keep up the great work, vod!
Vor'e Vode! Glad y'all like it! ;D

Your right chest plate looks like it's overlapping just a bit on your collar plate. Might be the angle or might be that you just need to pull you vest down a bit on that side.

For the weapons pics, just take a picture of the weapon by itself or a close up in your hand.

Now, that being said... This is an AMAZING kit very well planned and extremely well executed. The color choices, patterns, choices of fabric... Very very well done.
Thanks, Kelan!
I have some shots from my DL-33 WIP of just the blaster I should be able to use (or should I be holding it while kitted up? :-\)
I will probably re-take the pics tonight because the aren't as sharp as I would like... and the AF on my DSLR decided to not work until I took the outside shot  :P
I'll adjust the collar gap on the left chest plate, and rotate lower right ab plate, attach the braids better and take the series over again and submit my app! ;)

...Playing around with Pixlr-o-matic on my phone...

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #270 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:08 PM »
Very nice, vod!  Good to see this kit all together. :D

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #271 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Looking awesoooooooooooooome Vod ;D

Coreysnaps

• Kaiya Ardellian
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #272 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:03 PM »
A picture of just your weapon will do just fine.  I laid mine out on a sheet to take the picture.  No need to hold it.  :)

"...I leave to the discretion of the MMCC merch officer." 

If you have a Supply question, please ask here: Here

Eman'nelo

• You won't win this fight...
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume
« Reply #273 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Fantastic job my friend  8)  I'm very excited to see this kit finally together, won't be long before you're an official shark!  Just a suggestion, the outer sleeves of your flight suit could come up about 1-2 inches to give your elbow a little more breathing room.  Now that's just a suggestion and I don't think you'll get dinged on it, but I think it would make your arms a bit sleeker.  Either way, I love this kit!

Armor WIP               Gallery             Invasions: 32

Pesh 'katar

• Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #274 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:46 PM »
FANTASTIC work, my friend!!! I'm loving those hand plates, very good way of attaching them! Should be seeing those kill stripes by your name in no time!!

OM #0885

BLUE MOON CLAN Official Member #11

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!