Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Does the girth/kama need a back panel (Pics pgs. 3 & 4)

No! ...Keep it simple!
Yes! ...Hide yer rear!

Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP

• 294 Replies

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP
« on: Sep 21, 2012, 11:37 AM »
OK, so I am trying to get started on my Beskar'gam and I have come up with some concept art for the armor design and color scheme:

Full body front concept and design/color scheme:

Alternate color scheme:

Just to clarify things a bit more about Jaa'det "Night Wolf" Otxoa (still working on a back story but here are the basics) is a scout/sniper, from around 16 ABY, known for night assaults especially on heavily wooded planets. (I said it was the basics!  :P)

This will be a scout-type medium/light beskar'gam (planning on a more streamlined version of the bikerscout "backpack" with a functioning integrated hydropack), custom plates, asymmetrical design.

The Buy'ce will be based on a Jango 2-piece (once I can get may hands on one) with either a Biker Scout or ARF trooper style visor... **Opinions please**

I will be making the plates out of 4" PVC drain/sewer pipe and will be using a 2-piece BDU shirt/EMT pant combo instead of a flight suit just because I'm on the tall/skinnier side (6'2" with a 42" chest) and the flight suits are huge when they fit in the length ???, debating on using the sage green or black for that part, the thigh pack is actually a piece I got for my birthday from ThinkGeek.com: Grab-It Pack Gadget Holster

Looking for opinions on the visor style and color scheme :-\

Let me know what you think!!! All opinions are welcome!!!

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Like the colour schema vod ;D very nice

Dont think the grab it pack is a good idea as it is very recognisable as a RL item

also im not a fan of the one leg with full armour the other not  ???

as for visor ideas hit the helmet board there are some in there that will give you a great idea ;) mandalorianEwok did one that was awesome ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Naibi!
I may use the GrabIt pack as a pattern and make a leather version from the bag of scrap leather I have or go with Boba style belt pack, I found the WOF templates.

And I checked out mandaloriaEwok's Hunter WIP, that may be more of what I am going for as far as the visor goes  ;D

I am going to work up a couple more variations of the armor with a bit more symmetrical design (thigh plate under the pack, full armor, light armor variations) The idea is that, as a sniper, only one shin & one thigh are exposed and would need to be armored, minimizing the number of plates where it is not needed and adding larger ones to the more exposed areas (gladiator style):

Maybe I should just drop the thigh plates?  :-\ Any suggestions on using the green or black flightsuit?

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Oohhh. Me likey. I'm going to keep my eye on this.

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2012, 02:58 AM »
OK, After considering Naibi's suggestion I drafted up a couple more revisions... and I must say I like the progression ;D

- Changed the GrabIt Pack to Boba pouches
- Added Kama & Girth belt
- Added additional thigh plate
- Added antenna to replace rangefinder
- Modified visor to ARF style instead of bikerscout
- 2 variations of the flight suit color

the asymmetrical armor looks similar to the TK "knees"... sorta TK/Boba hybrid :-\

This one with the Sage Green Flight suit & black pouches:

And this one with the Black flight suit and natural pouches:

I have the pattern for the flak vest and neckseal, will probably get started on those soon, Will also post the back concepts to illustrate modded bikerscout pack/hydropack better

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2012, 03:09 AM by Jaa'det Otxoa » Logged

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Vindar Falco

• Honor, Valor and Integrity
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2012, 11:43 AM »
I personaly like the one with the black flight suite and natural ammo pouches. good concept art too

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Looks better. Also you will want to add a bottom clamshell to the lefthand bracer.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2012, 02:03 PM »
Now that Vod it looking cool  8)

I like the black flight suit one But on my screen it looks more like a Dark Gray and i think that that would be better than Black.  :rolleyes:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2012, 12:09 AM »
I'm with Niabi, it looks dark grey on my screen too, but it looks good like that!

I like your design, but I might see a flaw in your chest armor. As long as you've designed it, you're going to have very little torso flex. If you bend over, I fear the lower portions of the chest plates might bend or even crack over time. It's an awesome design though, and I truly hope you can make it work as-is!

I also like the redesigned bucket more than the original. I'm partial to antennas though instead of rangefinders, and the ARF visor definitely looks better.

Keep up the good work vod!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2012, 09:46 AM »
Vor'e Vode!  ;)
Great suggestions! I had originally made the jumpsuit dark gray to show some dimension in illustrator, but I do agree I like the dark gray look, especially since the plates will be a bit darker graphite color and the orange will be more like a copper metallic color.

I will have to see how the chest plates work as far as flexibility goes with the extended lower "horns". ???
I may have to modify the design a bit to see where they land when I bend, once I have my flak vest made up I will be mocking up the plates out of card stock or cardboard (before I transfer them to the PVC pipes) to see how the flexibility is and if they stab me in the side or not... being impaled by your own armor would be bad  :o
I will get more pics up once I get to that point, gotta look through my 'Duffle Bag 'O Fabric' to see if I have the muslin for the vest & neckseal, otherwise it's off to wally world to hit the clearance tables.  :P

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2012, 10:45 AM »
I'm BAAAAACCKKK!  ;D

Got a few things together and here is the current progress of my WIP... Soft parts!:

The gray is close to the color I am planning on using for the flight suit but is not the final 2-piece to be used...
I pretty much wrapped up the neck seal and flak vest from some fabric I had laying around the house last night... Both parts were made using the tutorials on TDH for the Neckseal and flak vest...

The Neckseal is a modified version of the pattern used in LadySewforus' tutorial
- First one made was way too small at the base of the neck so i had to add an angle to it for a better fit, also added a v-notch in the front to allow it to cover under my chin better with the buy'ce on... (I will post more details soon)
- Just need to finish the Velcro fasteners on the back.

The vest you see is after about 3 rounds of customizing/tailoring (shoulder caps were too large...scaled down, shoulders too wide...modify shoulder width/arm holes) just need to finish the tailoring on the vest for a good, snug fit around the sides and sew in the Velcro fasteners on the sides.

I have also ordered a Rubie's Jango 2-piece that should be in in a few days as well as starting on the patterns for the plates...  ;D

...More to come...

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2012, 10:47 AM by Jaa'det Otxoa » Logged

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2012, 11:14 AM »
Update time!!

Decided to get the torso plates made last night...
I used the WOF XL Jango templates scaled down to 98% and overlaid my custom pattern to create the templates, printed all front torso plates, cut the templates out of posterboard and taped them to myself... too wide  :(

So, back to the drawing board, resized the collar chest plates and upper ab plate width and voila!

Believe it or not it is actually quite flexible! and the good thing is NO POKIES!! ;D (at least for now, I guess I will see once it is in PVC  :P)
Once I snapped the pic I realized another thing... time for a new flak vest as the one I have is definitely too short!

So far I do like the way the plates are looking, even though they are a little longer than standard plates I like the look as it gives a leaner look to the beskar'gam, being that I am tall & lean it actually works with my body structure and reminds me of the TOR Beskar'gam (Like Lucas McCoy's) which is somewhat the look I am going for!

Let me know what you think of the sizing / spacing (I know the spacing is a little off due to taping it to my t-shirt)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2012, 01:21 PM »
reminds me of the TOR Beskar'gam (Like Lucas McCoy's)

McCoy's armor is from SWG... Not TOR... And I don't think he's got the same love for TOR as he has for SWG...

But I like what you've got so far...!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2012, 01:35 PM »
McCoy's armor is from SWG... Not TOR... And I don't think he's got the same love for TOR as he has for SWG...

But I like what you've got so far...!
Oops! *faceplam* Doh!  ???
I stand corrected... got my acronyms mixed up

*bows head in shame*...

Thanks for the like though! ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Vindar Falco

« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2012, 08:08 AM »
that looks awesome my friend  8)

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Necroing.

Any updates big guy?  :)

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Necroing.

Any updates big guy?  :)
Sorry Byrek,

Yeah, been working on my buy'ce :P

Promise updates to this thread will be in progress soon!   ;)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2013, 01:07 PM »
Minor update...

Please excuse the rough sketch here  :-[ but his is the concept for the back view (back plate design):

And the final template for the back plate/kidney plates designed using the WOF templates as a guide (with modifications to match the styling of the chest plates):

I also have the shoulder bell template cut out of poster board and will be cutting these out soon and posting pics for a sizing check!  ;D   

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2013, 01:13 PM »
that’s a rough sketch   :o you got skills ;)

looks great ;D

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2013, 01:29 PM »
that’s a rough sketch   :o you got skills ;)

looks great ;D
:laugh: Thanks Vod!

Yeah, well I usually convert the entire thing to vectored image in Illustrator so I can do the tweaks easier, but wanted to let everyone know I'm still workin' on it!

I have pretty much my entire kit in various stages of "Doneness", I really want to get my Buy'ce completed first, Soft parts, Plates, accessories, with at least 1 weapon (Blaster pistol almost done) in the middle, then the other at the end!  ???

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2013, 10:06 AM »
OK, got the template for the backplate made...

So here is my best attempt at shooting it, please excuse the wonky kidney plate and really bad photography here!  :-[

...wow I need to clean my mirror, LOL!  :P

So how does the sizing look? It may need to be moved up so that the neck line is a bit closer to my collar, I will know better once I rebuild the flak vest, right now the bottom tips of the kidney plates sit about 3" above the top of my belt.

An additional note, segmenting the kidney plates actually adds some nice lower-back flexibility to the back plate!   ;)

OPINIONS PLEASE?!?  ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Vindar Falco

« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:29 AM »
Nice I think it looks awesome!  ;D

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Size looks nice vod ;) deff bring it up some though ;) 

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2013, 04:28 PM »
Nice I think it looks awesome!  ;D
Thanks, Vod!  ;D

Size looks nice vod ;) deff bring it up some though ;) 
Yassir! Will do!  ;)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

whitecrow1

« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2013, 12:53 AM »
hey now people...don't be dissin the think geek holsters. I was the first official to rock them and they are a favorite amongst the best. I say rock them...or make some similar ones to match lol

"shoulders...you got 'em, I shot 'em"

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!