Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Does the girth/kama need a back panel (Pics pgs. 3 & 4)

No! ...Keep it simple!
Yes! ...Hide yer rear!

Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP

• 294 Replies

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
Re: Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP
« Reply #45 on: Mar 22, 2013, 09:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Vode!  ;D
So I revised the girth belt a bit last night to tighten the gap in the back up about 2"  :P
(I pulled all the rivets out of the leather parts and offset them out about an inch, then moved the tabs on the ends in about an inch  or so)

...And here is what I came up with:

...And with the back panel:

I think I'm leaning more towards leaving the back panel out as Kelan and Segutai suggest for a few reasons...
1. It still feels like a tail  :rolleyes:
2. When sitting it drags the back down  ???
3. What's the matter? You don't think i have a cute butt?  :laugh:

Think I'll post a poll to see what the general consensus is

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Zeevan Korall

• The death watch are the true saviors of Mandalore
« Reply #46 on: Mar 22, 2013, 01:42 PM »
You could just use a butt plate.   :)

imm0rtal reaper

• Costuming Newbie
« Reply #47 on: Mar 22, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Great progress so far. I vote for putting the rear panel on!

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #48 on: Mar 22, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Poll is cool and all, but ultimately, it's YOUR kit bud!  ;)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #49 on: Mar 22, 2013, 04:14 PM »

^^ This

Do what makes you happy vod ;) that’s the important thing

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #50 on: Mar 22, 2013, 05:06 PM »
I'm still not a fan of that third panel... Like you say it is a bit reminiscent of a tail ;D

As Kelan said it's your build, so do what you think looks best :)

Krango Seragon

• Yes... YES!!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #51 on: Mar 23, 2013, 12:35 PM »
McCoy's armor is from SWG... Not TOR... And I don't think he's got the same love for TOR as he has for SWG...

But I like what you've got so far...!

You couldnt be more right!  :laugh:

I like this chest armor, lookin mean!

Naast Clan Chapter Fashion Police
B.E.A.R.D.S Member #29
OM # 695
Invasion count: 14

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #52 on: Mar 23, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Thanks Vode!
Ultimately I will go with my gut about the rear panel (actually pretty much already have  ;))
The poll is more to get opinions...   ...which is what I feel the point of creating a WIP should be!
I love getting feedback on my progress, especially since I'm not exactly around the corner from any of my clan members to attend any armor parties!   :(  I feel that feedback & constructive criticism always help to improve the overall product!  ;)
No matter the outcome of the poll, I'm the only one who knows what I like and what feels comfortable for me!  ;D

You couldnt be more right!  :laugh:

I like this chest armor, lookin mean!
Vor'e!
That's what I'm goin' for! ;D

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #53 on: Apr 16, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Minor update: Plates!! :D

So while I was watching paint dry ??? I figured I'd work on tracing out the parts of my Beskar'gam that I have templates for (torso and back plates)...

So I took all of my posterboard templates and taped them down to the 4" PVC drain pipe and traced them with an Ultra fine-line Sharpie:

Once I was happy with the tracing I pulled the templates off and chopped all the pieces out with my jigsaw:

*Repost from my Buy'ce thread*
Cutting & flattening:
- Once I cut the basic shape out with my jigsaw I used my heatgun to start flattening the visor, here is the basic procedure I used:
First a few tips/hints:
-- Heat on a smooth concrete floor or a piece of clean sheetrock (sheet rock is smoother and won't transfer any imperfections that may be present otherwise  :rolleyes:)
-- Use gloves! Decent weight leather work gloves or "Ove-gloves" work great! ;) These are the gloves that I use:

-- Take your time! Don't rush it, if you try bending a piece that is not evently or thoroughly heated you will end up with cracking
-- Keep it moving! I'm sure everybody has heard this over and over, but it's true... Don't leave the heat gun in one spot for too long or it will burn/boil!
Now how I did it:
-- Start at the middle from the outside, heat from the centerline out, slowly pulling the PVC into shape as I was heating
-- Once I had the piece fairly flat I heated the entire piece until it went limp
-- Sandwiched the soft PVC between 2 pieces of clean sheetrock (this is where I found out that any imperfections will be pressed into the soft PVC!  :P)
-- Stand/sit/kneel or put any decent amount of weight on the sheetrock directly over the pieces as they cool for about 30 seconds to a minute
-- Looked at the piece to see if it need to be reheated and flattened anywhere, and repeated the previous 3 steps until the piece was perfectly flat
this is what I came up with  ;D:

I'm sure alot of you are asking "So why flatten them if you're just gonna end up shaping them anyways?"... :-\
Well, symmetry!, I can place the pieces back to back now and trim them together to get all of the pieces perfectly symmetrical (I know Boba/Jango weren't "perfectly symmetrical... but, then again, I am not them! :P)

So off to the next steps:  ???
- Trimming/cleaning the pieces
- Welding the backplates together
- Shaping all of the pieces

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #54 on: Apr 16, 2013, 12:07 PM »
Looking Nice vod ;) good progress

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Vindar Falco

• Honor, Valor and Integrity
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #55 on: Apr 17, 2013, 08:17 AM »
agreed

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #56 on: Apr 17, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I must say, I didn't know it was possible to weld plastic  ???

Looking good my man! I too am not a fan of the tail. I think without looks far cooler.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #57 on: Apr 17, 2013, 09:26 AM »
I must say, I didn't know it was possible to weld plastic  ???

Looking good my man! I too am not a fan of the tail. I think without looks far cooler.
OK, so maybe I meant "melding" or "joining"  :rolleyes:

But plastic welding is possible... Look here :P

Although in my case it's more like this :laugh:

Yep I pretty much decided against the "tail" after re-working the closure, the split in the back actually touches at the top instead of having the 2" gap! ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2013, 02:29 PM »
UPDATE!!!!!
So I have a pretty good update here!  ;D

- Chest/Collar plates trimmed
- Cod Cut & trimmed
- ^^All of these^^ shaped!

Here is what I have:

The cod is a combination of the Jango/Boba patterns (width of the Jango with the bottom peak of the Boba cod), I have also formed the top plate to add a little more dimension instead of the flat "plate on plate" look (inspired by Kelan's cod... more detailed pics to come as I work on it).   ;)

One thing I am debating... should I attach it to the underside of my girth/kama (velcro or snapped) or should it have it's own belt?  :-\

The chest plates are going to be mounted using flat-head 3/8" #8 machine screws mounted through the top of the plates and into grommets on the flak vest, the heads will be hidden with a second "overlay" layer that will give the plates a little "beefier" look  :P

(Sorry for lack of detail pics... it was 3:00 this morning when I took these  ??? I'll get more up as soon as I can)

So Lemme have it... opinions? critiques? ideas?  ...Bring 'em on Vode!

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Looks cool vod ;) Tape them on so we can see them on ya ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!