Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Does the girth/kama need a back panel (Pics pgs. 3 & 4)

No! ...Keep it simple!
Yes! ...Hide yer rear!

Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP

• 294 Replies

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP
« Reply #50 on: Mar 22, 2013, 05:06 PM »
I'm still not a fan of that third panel... Like you say it is a bit reminiscent of a tail ;D

As Kelan said it's your build, so do what you think looks best :)

Krango Seragon

• Yes... YES!!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #51 on: Mar 23, 2013, 12:35 PM »
McCoy's armor is from SWG... Not TOR... And I don't think he's got the same love for TOR as he has for SWG...

But I like what you've got so far...!

You couldnt be more right!  :laugh:

I like this chest armor, lookin mean!

Naast Clan Chapter Fashion Police
B.E.A.R.D.S Member #29
OM # 695
Invasion count: 14

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
« Reply #52 on: Mar 23, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Poll is cool and all, but ultimately, it's YOUR kit bud!  ;)
Thanks Vode!
Ultimately I will go with my gut about the rear panel (actually pretty much already have  ;))
The poll is more to get opinions...   ...which is what I feel the point of creating a WIP should be!
I love getting feedback on my progress, especially since I'm not exactly around the corner from any of my clan members to attend any armor parties!   :(  I feel that feedback & constructive criticism always help to improve the overall product!  ;)
No matter the outcome of the poll, I'm the only one who knows what I like and what feels comfortable for me!  ;D

You couldnt be more right!  :laugh:

I like this chest armor, lookin mean!
Vor'e!
That's what I'm goin' for! ;D

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #53 on: Apr 16, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Minor update: Plates!! :D

So while I was watching paint dry ??? I figured I'd work on tracing out the parts of my Beskar'gam that I have templates for (torso and back plates)...

So I took all of my posterboard templates and taped them down to the 4" PVC drain pipe and traced them with an Ultra fine-line Sharpie:

Once I was happy with the tracing I pulled the templates off and chopped all the pieces out with my jigsaw:

*Repost from my Buy'ce thread*
Cutting & flattening:
- Once I cut the basic shape out with my jigsaw I used my heatgun to start flattening the visor, here is the basic procedure I used:
First a few tips/hints:
-- Heat on a smooth concrete floor or a piece of clean sheetrock (sheet rock is smoother and won't transfer any imperfections that may be present otherwise  :rolleyes:)
-- Use gloves! Decent weight leather work gloves or "Ove-gloves" work great! ;) These are the gloves that I use:

-- Take your time! Don't rush it, if you try bending a piece that is not evently or thoroughly heated you will end up with cracking
-- Keep it moving! I'm sure everybody has heard this over and over, but it's true... Don't leave the heat gun in one spot for too long or it will burn/boil!
Now how I did it:
-- Start at the middle from the outside, heat from the centerline out, slowly pulling the PVC into shape as I was heating
-- Once I had the piece fairly flat I heated the entire piece until it went limp
-- Sandwiched the soft PVC between 2 pieces of clean sheetrock (this is where I found out that any imperfections will be pressed into the soft PVC!  :P)
-- Stand/sit/kneel or put any decent amount of weight on the sheetrock directly over the pieces as they cool for about 30 seconds to a minute
-- Looked at the piece to see if it need to be reheated and flattened anywhere, and repeated the previous 3 steps until the piece was perfectly flat
this is what I came up with  ;D:

I'm sure alot of you are asking "So why flatten them if you're just gonna end up shaping them anyways?"... :-\
Well, symmetry!, I can place the pieces back to back now and trim them together to get all of the pieces perfectly symmetrical (I know Boba/Jango weren't "perfectly symmetrical... but, then again, I am not them! :P)

So off to the next steps:  ???
- Trimming/cleaning the pieces
- Welding the backplates together
- Shaping all of the pieces

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #54 on: Apr 16, 2013, 12:07 PM »
Looking Nice vod ;) good progress

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Vindar Falco

• Honor, Valor and Integrity
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #55 on: Apr 17, 2013, 08:17 AM »
agreed

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #56 on: Apr 17, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I must say, I didn't know it was possible to weld plastic  ???

Looking good my man! I too am not a fan of the tail. I think without looks far cooler.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #57 on: Apr 17, 2013, 09:26 AM »
I must say, I didn't know it was possible to weld plastic  ???

Looking good my man! I too am not a fan of the tail. I think without looks far cooler.
OK, so maybe I meant "melding" or "joining"  :rolleyes:

But plastic welding is possible... Look here :P

Although in my case it's more like this :laugh:

Yep I pretty much decided against the "tail" after re-working the closure, the split in the back actually touches at the top instead of having the 2" gap! ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2013, 02:29 PM »
UPDATE!!!!!
So I have a pretty good update here!  ;D

- Chest/Collar plates trimmed
- Cod Cut & trimmed
- ^^All of these^^ shaped!

Here is what I have:

The cod is a combination of the Jango/Boba patterns (width of the Jango with the bottom peak of the Boba cod), I have also formed the top plate to add a little more dimension instead of the flat "plate on plate" look (inspired by Kelan's cod... more detailed pics to come as I work on it).   ;)

One thing I am debating... should I attach it to the underside of my girth/kama (velcro or snapped) or should it have it's own belt?  :-\

The chest plates are going to be mounted using flat-head 3/8" #8 machine screws mounted through the top of the plates and into grommets on the flak vest, the heads will be hidden with a second "overlay" layer that will give the plates a little "beefier" look  :P

(Sorry for lack of detail pics... it was 3:00 this morning when I took these  ??? I'll get more up as soon as I can)

So Lemme have it... opinions? critiques? ideas?  ...Bring 'em on Vode!

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Looks cool vod ;) Tape them on so we can see them on ya ;)

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Looks cool vod ;) Tape them on so we can see them on ya ;)
Will have to see what I can do about that!  ;)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Byrek Avery

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2013, 06:15 PM »
Looking sharp vod! I better be adding you onto my roster before 2014  ;)

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #62 on: Jun 07, 2013, 10:44 AM »
OK... Update time!!!! ;D

First off... I Has Shoulders!  :D

And... As requested... The torso plates have been shaped, re-shaped and re-re-shaped... ???

and here they are...

Mind you that I am not wearing the flak vest, and the bottom pieces weren't taped down, but a few things that caught my eye...  :rolleyes:
1. Lower ab pieces need to come up
2. Bottom edge of upper ab piece needs to be trimmed to allow ^^this^^
3. Trim about 5 mm off the outer edge of all ab pieces to even out gaps to about 15 - 20 mm
4. Slight re-shape of the lower edge of the breastplates to bring the lower arms closer to my body

So waddayathink Vode!! OPINIONS PLEEEEEZZZEEE!!!  :P

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Legends of Mandalore Brigade Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #63 on: Jun 07, 2013, 10:59 AM »
Looks good vod!

With the mods you already stated plus a bit of alignment (which will be done when the plates are on the vest I'm sure), you'll have a pretty sweet deal going on!!

Liking the custom plates!!

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #64 on: Jun 07, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Dude that looks great!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #65 on: Jun 07, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Looks good vod!

With the mods you already stated plus a bit of alignment (which will be done when the plates are on the vest I'm sure), you'll have a pretty sweet deal going on!!

Liking the custom plates!!
Vor'e Vod!! ;D

hopefully I'll be able to knock out the mods this weekend and re-post pics with the vest on for a better reference... Gotta do something while the bucket is drying  :laugh: (Stupid rain  >:( :P)

Dude that looks great!
Thanks Vod! ;)
(I think it took me longer to figure out how to tape the pieces onto myself without help than it did to make the shoulder cops from scratch!   :P ??? :laugh:)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Naren Sprax

• So I says to Mable, I says...
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #66 on: Jun 07, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Awesome looking plates vod! Great work!  8)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
« Reply #67 on: Jun 07, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Very Very Nice work vod ;)  looks great

Sidi Ren

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #68 on: Jun 07, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Loving it! I am so glad to see an update. I have your WIP bookmarked :)

Byrek Avery

« Reply #69 on: Jun 07, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Looks great! I fully support trimming the ab plates a bit.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Official Member #668

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #70 on: Jun 10, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Awesome looking plates vod! Great work!  8)
Vor'e ner vod!  ;D

Very Very Nice work vod ;)  looks great
Much appreciated Niabi!  ;)

Loving it! I am so glad to see an update. I have your WIP bookmarked :)
Vor'e Vod! Following yours as well... Kandosii kit! ;)

Looks great! I fully support trimming the ab plates a bit.
Thanks, will be trimming once I can figure out how to make a quick form that will let me look at my kit without having to wear it, I have some dense foam I may be able to trim to make a body form so hopefully that will be soon!  ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #71 on: Jun 10, 2013, 07:48 PM »
I'm liking the custom plates! If your work on your helmet is anything to go by this is going to be a sweet kit!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #72 on: Jun 12, 2013, 10:07 AM »
I'm liking the custom plates! If your work on your helmet is anything to go by this is going to be a sweet kit!
Much appreciated Vod!  ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #73 on: Jun 12, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Tiny update...

I glued the top plate to the cod...

...That is all  :P

Trying to figure out what materials I have on hand to fill the gap between the top plate and the cod to act as a base before adding Bondo for shaping! ???
Oh yeah, and the chest plates have been re-shaped... Will post pics once I have the ab plates trimmed!  ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #74 on: Jun 20, 2013, 10:37 AM »
OK, minor update...

I managed to make a rough dress form from some packing foam blocks I found in the basement so I could work out the resizing of the ab plates easier ;D

So here is the result after trimming the top of the upper ab plate and changing the angle of the notched corners of the lower ab plates:

So how do they look now?  ???

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!