Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Does the girth/kama need a back panel (Pics pgs. 3 & 4)

No! ...Keep it simple!
Yes! ...Hide yer rear!

Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP

• 294 Replies

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Jaa'det 1st Beskar'gam... NEW WIP
« Reply #75 on: Jun 20, 2013, 10:44 AM »
This is looking good!!

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #76 on: Jun 20, 2013, 10:46 AM »
So how do they look now?  ???

Mighty fine ;)

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
« Reply #77 on: Jul 05, 2013, 03:32 PM »
OK, Been trying to collect a few more parts & decide on what style knees I'm going with... But I also started another thread which will be a future upgrade for this kit:
*NEW* Boba Fett Chest display project
I'll be basing the display off of Scur's "Boba Fett Chest display project" with some custom tweaks (Blue LED's & 7-segment numeric displays, modified connections, etc...)

I also finally got the expanding foam to finish up my codpiece, so updates will be coming soon! ;)

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #78 on: Jul 05, 2013, 03:43 PM »
Keep those updates coming, you're doing well.

I dig the ab plate design.

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #79 on: Jul 11, 2013, 11:09 AM »
It's Cod Time! :laugh:

OK, so I finally got around to getting some spray-foam to work on my codpiece some more.

Well, It started off pretty good, I cut some wedges out of scrap PVC to hold the top plate at the height I wanted and taped it down, as I knew the foam would want to push the piece out a bit from using the stuff in the past (waaaaay in the past)
Initially all looked good after about 15 minutes of dry time, so I left it to dry and picked it up the next evening...
I removed the tape from across the front... Off cam the tape, then I heard the slow creaking of the expanding foam and this is what it looked like after about 5 minutes of creaks & pops!  :o

Talk about an expanding cod!  :laugh:
The thing blew up like a balloon (the inside and top both warped slightly and the top plate was pushed out a good 10mm from the PVC internal braces I put in there! ???)
So I proceeded to start trimming down the foam and instead of removing all of the foam and starting over I cut out the foam on the lower peak (there were large air pockets here anyways) up to the front of the internal braces. I then cut out the foam between the braces and removed the braces.
OK, shape started returning to normal but the top plate was still a little too distorted, so I shaved slivers out of the remaining foam wedge to correct the shape using a fully extended snap-off razor blade.
Once I was happy with the shape again I re-taped the top plate down across the widest part of the top plate to the codpiece and from the peak of the top plate to the peak of the cod and re-foamed the front making sure to leave the channel that was between the braces open to allow for internal expansion and prevent the warping again. :-[
This time it worked like a charm!
Here is what it now looks like after trimming it up:

I left a 2-5mm lip on all edges to give the Bondo a good surface to bond to once I get to that (hopefully this evening)  ;D

So the moral to the story... Be careful when foaming your cod or it will blow up on you! :laugh:

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #80 on: Jul 11, 2013, 12:35 PM »
Hehe, it sure does expand to quite a large volume.

looking good on the second time, keep up the hard work.

Naren Sprax

• So I says to Mable, I says...
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #81 on: Jul 11, 2013, 02:09 PM »
Inspiration! Looking good vod! I took too long of a break on my kit, but the good thing about that is I get to see stuff like this before I try it.  :P

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #82 on: Jul 15, 2013, 10:04 AM »
Hehe, it sure does expand to quite a large volume.

looking good on the second time, keep up the hard work.
Why yes, yes it does! :laugh: Thanks Vod!

Inspiration! Looking good vod! I took too long of a break on my kit, but the good thing about that is I get to see stuff like this before I try it.  :P
Glad to help Vod, so get back in the saddle and give us some updates on that kit!! ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #83 on: Jul 15, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Little bit of an update...

So I got a round to putting the Bondo on the codpiece, I also found that after letting the trimmed foam sit for a few days that it actually started to shrink a bit, so I had to add a bit more to the front, let it dry for a couple hours, re-trim then immediately Bondo
(I believe that exposure to air/humidity caused the shrinkage, the Bondo should seal it up to prevent this! :P)
So here is the current state of my codpiece:

So now I just need to smooth out the sides, fill any divots and re-sand...  ???

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #84 on: Jul 24, 2013, 03:44 PM »
More cod updates!

So I finally got around to sanding the cod... I apparently didn't put enough on the bottom peak and ended up with a pretty good gap:  :P

So here it is now, second coat on, I applied it as smoothly as possible to try to achieve the sharp lines from the peak of the upper plate to the base and on the corners as well as getting the angle on the upper edges even from left to right:

I also have some progress on my "Flightsuit"... I'll be going the scrubs route as I just happen to have 2 pairs of pants and a shirt all in the same color!
Here are how they look prior to any modification...
Pants:

and top:

This should give you a pretty good idea of how baggy these things are! :P

I have since altered the pants...
and here is how they look currently after about 4 rounds of altering, test fitting, too tight in the thighs to waist, adding additional panel in the backside, test fitting, finding that the crotch seam is too short, expanding the crotch by an inch and finally fitting where they don't want to slide off my shebs when I crouch!  ??? :-[ :P  :laugh:

And to prove that I can actually crouch:

The first time I tried crouching I thought I might pop the center seam :-\ so I double stitched it and added a reinforcement panel:

And here is the crotch seam expansion that I did to make sure the waist band stays on my waist!

I will be adding a Boba thigh pouch to the left leg since I have my grab-it pack for the other leg and will be making the double sleeves on the shirt using the other pair of pants, then I will be de-coloring and dyeing them dark gray...  ;)

Until next time! ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #85 on: Jul 25, 2013, 07:06 AM »
Good job on the pants!

And being able to crouch with just the pants is something... With the whole kit on, that's another thing...!!
* but hey, you're better off than I am anyway, I can't even crouch with my flight suit, even without my armor...

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #86 on: Jul 25, 2013, 11:21 PM »
Don't worry about the flightsuit body being baggy, that'll be hidden by the vest and allow you to move. Just make sure the arms are nicely tailored and you'll be good ;)

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #87 on: Jul 26, 2013, 12:16 AM »
Looking good. Are you going to be leaving them that colour, or dying them?

**edit**
Doh! Don't worry, re-read your last post and found the answer to my question :)

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #88 on: Jul 31, 2013, 04:28 PM »
Good job on the pants!

And being able to crouch with just the pants is something... With the whole kit on, that's another thing...!!
* but hey, you're better off than I am anyway, I can't even crouch with my flight suit, even without my armor...
Thanks Kelan, I just figured that I wouldn't want to bust a seam if I had to bend down to grab something!  :rolleyes:
I figure the cod will restrict the movement a bit, that's why I went with a Jango/Boba hybrid! ;)

Don't worry about the flightsuit body being baggy, that'll be hidden by the vest and allow you to move. Just make sure the arms are nicely tailored and you'll be good ;)
Yep not too worried about the body, since I probably wouldn't' be able to get it over my head if I tailored it anyways since the fabric really doesn't give any! I will be somewhat tailoring the sleeves since I'll be going with the double sleeves on this one. ;)

Looking good. Are you going to be leaving them that colour, or dying them?

**edit**
Doh! Don't worry, re-read your last post and found the answer to my question :)
:laugh: Yep, will be dyed dark gray...

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #89 on: Jul 31, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Quick update...

Cod is ready for paint!

Got the cod pretty much finished last night and is now ready for primer!

First, a quick bit of info on getting the sharp lines on the edges/corners in the Bondo...

When I was rough sanding the edges near the upper part of the sides where the top plate meets the cod itself I noticed that the line was pretty wavy... ???

So my OCD kicked in and I made this simple device... a sanding block :laugh:

Yep, just a scrap of 1x2 with some 120 grit stapled around it...
It let me get a longer, straight line to fix the edge by being able to rest flat against the side and dig into the corner better, like so:

And here are the results:

So next I need to get another can of primer and see how it looks!  ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Thaxos

« Reply #90 on: Jul 31, 2013, 04:44 PM »
Looks nice and clean with the lines now.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #91 on: Jul 31, 2013, 07:05 PM »
That's very nice man!

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #92 on: Jul 31, 2013, 11:09 PM »
Looking sharp! Ever used glazing putty?

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #93 on: Aug 01, 2013, 12:12 PM »
Looks nice and clean with the lines now.
That's very nice man!
Looking sharp! Ever used glazing putty?
Thanks Vode, I'm happy how it came out! And Byrek, yep, I've heard of glazing putty, thanks for the tip, but unfortunately (as I stated in my Buy'ce build) my "Fun-dage" for this project is pretty much nothing and I'm trying to use materials I have on hand, so the imperfections will be integrated into the weathering as well as using enough coats of primer and we-sanding will minimize alot of the imperfections!  ;) (I hope :P)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Thaxos

« Reply #94 on: Aug 01, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Good plan, hiding imperfections as weathering is a great "cheat" to use.

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #95 on: Aug 01, 2013, 01:23 PM »
Well I was browsing the boards yesterday and came across this little tutorial by AngryBoba for an iPod touch chest display...

Sooooo, I though to myself... "Self, you have an iPod nano, does it fit behind your chest display in any direction?"  ???

So I grabbed my iPod and test fit it behind the display window, and guess what? It did cover about 99% of the windows ;D (1% was lost to the border of the screen on the 4th gen iPod Nano's 2" screen) when set at a 45o angle!  8)

So I looked at the sequence that AngryBoba used and found that it was the same as the one found here on the TDH boards

So I jumped onto Illustrator and built a customized sequence to match the angle of the display openings with glow (LED's usually have a slightly brighter center), light on / light off overlay sublayers so that I could create the individual images for the sequence and export each frame to .jpg files.
After that I brought it into my video editing software and worked out the timing based on the TDH sequence then exported to an .mp4 file for my iPod...

And here is what it looks like:

I used a scrap piece of the stock J2p T-visor and taped the iPod behind that
(Yes, I know... the edges of the window are rough... still in progress, this was a test!)

To get the 4 second video to loop I did the following:
- Import the video into iTunes
- Right click on the video and select 'Get Info'
- Select the 'Options' Tab and change the "Media Kind" to 'Music Video'
- That video will now appear under the 'Music' list in 'Videos'
- Now create a playlist with only that video in it *
- Connect your iPod and transfer both the video and playlist to your iPod

* to get the sequence to loop with minimal "blinking" between loops I had to set the video start/stop points in iTunes 1 frame from the beginning/end:
- Right click on the video and select 'Get Info'
- Select the 'Options' Tab and set the 'Start Time:' to "0:00.1" and the 'Stop Time:' to .1 second from the end, in other words, if your end time was 4 seconds set it to 0:03.9 (this is technically more like 3 frames but it works)

To get your iPod to loop (using my Nano's OS, the iTouch is different)
- Go to the home screen -> Settings -> Repeat
- Select "One"
Now when you play your playlist it will play the video file you select in an infinite loop!
Here is a quick video demo of this process:
(Don't forget to turn off the repeat settings when you're done otherwise all of your music will play one song over and over again!)

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Thaxos

« Reply #96 on: Aug 01, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Nice implementation.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #97 on: Aug 01, 2013, 08:55 PM »
very cool!

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #98 on: Aug 08, 2013, 12:14 PM »
Nice implementation.
very cool!
Thanks Vode, now I just have to figure out an easy way to slide it in and out without the ghetto tape job! :P :laugh:

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Jaa'det Otxoa

« Reply #99 on: Aug 08, 2013, 01:38 PM »
More soft parts updates! :D

Well I got my top for the "flightsuit" done last night, adding the double sleeves!

This started as a basic scrub top, the sleeves started as a pair of similar weight scrub bottoms, here's how I made 'em...
- First I removed the sleeves from the scrub top
- Next I split the inseam of the scrub bottoms and ironed both legs flat with a fold at the side seams
- Pinned both legs together aligning the side seam and bottom cuff
- Used a "modern fit" long sleeve shirt, flipped the sleeve inside-out and aligned the wrist cuff with the bottom cuff on the pinned pant legs and traced the inner seam of the sleeve onto the pants (the ankle cuff becomes the new sleeve wrist cuff so no seam allowance is necessary) I also marked where the armpit and shoulder seams meet the body of the shirt.
- Now take the scrub to sleeve removed earlier and match it to the mark for the shoulder seam and eyeball it to align with the armpit, now trace the curve marking where the scrub sleeve ends, now use a large french curve (or eyeball it like I do :P) to match the lines from about center sleeve to the armpit mark you just made.
- Add a 3/8" seam allowance to the inner arm sleeve and armpit to shoulder peak marks
- Lay the fabric on a smooth, flat surface, smooth out and pin the layers together along the inside of the seam edges so that when you trim the pieces they all end up the same size ???
- Now make the upper sleeve...
- Take the remaining fabric, split the crotch seam from front to back, removing the waist tie in the process, fold along the side seams and iron flat aligning the edges of the waistband, then lay the 2 pieces together (you may have to remove the pockets if there are any) with the outer seam (folded edge and the waist band) together and pin together
- Measure a mark about 11" from the top of the waistband (the waist band becomes the short sleeve cuff)
- Align the shoulder peak of the outer seam of the long sleeve with the mark you just made, aligning the outer folded seams of the 2 sleeves
- Trace the Armpit to shoulder seam to the fabric then make a mark on the waistband about 1/2" down from where the the long sleeve overlaps and draw a straight line from that mark to the armpit mark, pin along seam marks and cut
- Remove all pins from the new sleeve pieces and flip all inside out
- On the long sleeves sew the inside seam only from the armpit to about 4" from the cuff
- On the Short sleeve split the waistband hem back about 3" and unfold, sew the inside seam from arpit to end of unfolded cuff, re-fold cuff and sew hem back down
- Test fit the short sleeve for length, if it is too long just flip the hem up, iron flat and sew along the hem in 3/8" increments until you get to the top edge (3 times, this will create the concentric rings like you see on my short sleeve cuffs ;D)
- Flip all arm pieces right-side-out and pull the short sleeve over the long sleeve aligning at the arm pit and shoulder peak
- Flip the body of the scrup top inside-out and slide the sleeve into the sleeve openings
- Pin the sleeves in place starting with the armpit and shoulder peak and sew the arms to the body
- Once both sleeves are sewn in flip the whole thing right-side-out, you're almost done! ;D
- Now just iron the openings at the end of the sleeves (Cuff split) using a 3/8" seam and sew flat
- Add a wrist closure of your choice (drawstring, buttons, snaps, Velcro, whatever you want ???)
Now try it on!!

And here are some shots with the vest on:

So what do you think??  ;D

Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!