Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Comm Pack (Version 2, page 2)

• 33 Replies

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Comm Pack
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2016, 11:34 PM »
I've used straps, but currently my method is this: I have two door chains mounted to the top bar and those actually hook into the top of my backplate (the back of the 'head hole'). There's a waist strap that keeps it from swinging around and falling off.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2016, 12:09 PM »
And your backplate is attached to the flak fest by something stronger than velcro, I assume?

Nishi Ja'tejag

Riye cuyir te tauira be a ori'jate jag.  Ni shi jate jag.  Pirusti, Ni cuy' an staabi!

Armour Planning WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78236.0

Soft Parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=77697.0

WIP Photo Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronsneary/albums/72157717142691673

Backstory: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=196736.0

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2016, 08:35 PM »
The backplate is attached to the collar plate with bolts, which is in turn connected to the rest of the chest plates with straps. If you strap your backplate to you separately from the rest of your armor it would work the same.

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
Re: Comm Pack ( Version 2 )
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:33 PM »
Decided to overhaul my backpack. It's starting to show its age and it does get heavy and occasionally hit me in the face when I bend down.

Main goals with the new build:
1) Make it lighter. There have been plenty of troops where I left it behind 'cause I didn't want to tote it around.
2) Easier attachment. Also left it in the box plenty of times because I didn't want to deal with strapping it on.
3) Sleeker design. Make it less obtrusive and easier to wear and sit with.
4) Make a version that doesn't look like a bomb on an airport scan. I powered the old one with a big 'ol 6v battery, which was in a metal box full of wires. Didn't even bother to pack it when we went to Anaheim.

Started with a sheet of sintra and formed it into a box.

Size is about an inch narrower than the small of my backplate, which is where it will sit.

It's attached with a pair of bolts, screwed from the inside of the backplate into some nuts that are glued inside the pack.

Then drilled holes for my antennae and such, and installed the greebs:

And wired everything up:

Power is via any USB rechargeable battery bank I have handy. Jerek Darr from Wampa showed me how easy it is to wire in as most USB cables only have four wires, two for power, two for data. Using these saves weight and money on batteries.

I have to get the corners finished and glued together, then some paint. I'll post once I get some more pictures, but it's gonna be a pretty standard mix of PVC cement for the corners with glazing putty to smooth them over.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Comm Pack (Version 2, page 2)
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Very nice.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Arch

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Good jorb! :D

Hulahooper

• Lyra Senaar
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #31 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:29 PM »
I'll have to show this to my mom. She's thinking of making a backpack and this may come in handy.

Lyra Senaar
The Hulahooping Mandalorian
« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2017, 10:07 AM »
I'm a robber mando and I'm gonna steal some of this when I get the chance. I mean, I will flatter you with imitation.

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
« Reply #33 on: Feb 27, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Steal away!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!