Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Comm Pack (Version 2, page 2)

• 33 Replies

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Comm Pack (Version 2, page 2)
« on: Oct 03, 2012, 11:42 PM »
Working on a communications rig and so far I've come up with this:

Very rough to start out. Base is a surplus musette bag, with a few fiberglass antennas and greebs and lights. Probably going to ditch the handset on the side. However! I need ideas to take it further towards a serious looking radio bag.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 01:35 PM by Chro » Logged

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Than'del Coret

• Ner vode ja'hailir - My brother's keeper
Re: Comm Pack
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2012, 11:50 PM »
New guy's two cents, but when I hear communications pack I think of the old WWII radio man backpack. Maybe if you switched to a hard pack or bulked it up with an internal frame (so the comm gear wouldn't get knocked around so much) you'll get the look you're going for.

No matter how great of a warrior you are, eventually, everyone needs saving.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2012, 12:06 AM »
Thanks for the input! Your idea is a solid one, but I forgot to specify that I want to use this bag, or one like it, instead of a backpack. I already have a back plate and like what I've done with it a lot, so I want to show it off.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Maybe a detachable link to your bucket? That would eliminate the handset, but still give the same type of feel.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2012, 10:08 AM »
The handset was mostly an experiment, so far there's nothing in the bag that would need to be connected to anything yet. I've thought about sticking a set of speakers for a superpowered voice amp, but I'll cross that bridge later.

Keep giving me ideas! These are all good ones.

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2012, 04:57 PM »
I agree with a cord to the helmet, since all our communications gear is built into the bucket. I'm also not quite feeling the soft pack for comms gear. All the ones I've seen are either semi-rigid or hard. If you really want to use that pack, I'd build a frame like Than'del suggested. Also, perhaps its just me being a computer guy, but the RAM on the antenna is way too Earthy for my tastes. I like the LEDs though!

You're on the right track, vod. Keep it up, and keep throwing ideas out there! I think you can make this work =)

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2012, 05:10 PM »
An external frame might help, and the RAM-flag-thing definitely needs work.

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Advice has been taken, and direction has been shifted over to an as-yet-untapped material: Lunch Boxes.

Covered the lids with sheet metal to cover up the stamped-in design, then riveted Spider-Man to Highschool Musical.

Drilled antenna holes and primed:

Built a tube frame out of 1/2" PVC bent with a heat gun, then riveted that to the boxes.

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Now THAT'S thinking outside the box! (no pun intended, lol). The biggest thing now though are the clasps on the lunch boxes. If you can lose/replace those, I think it'll look even better. Right now, they kinda break the illusion a bit. Great work though, it really looks good!

Pesh 'katar

• Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Great start!! I love the tube frame idea, and good find with the lunchboxes!

OM #0885

BLUE MOON CLAN Official Member #11

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2012, 12:31 PM »
I like that a lot ;) cool idea ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Milori Te'Bell

• The Unstoppable Mandalorian
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Looks good like this, now some control nobs and displays, and maybe a telephone cord from the pack to the side of your helmet, but that's my idea.

I agree on the clasps, though I only noticed them when pointed out by Ralin.

Just replace Episode 1 with Weird Al's "The Saga Begins" and a YouTube clip of the Darth Maul fight.  All the story and good bits, none of the Jar Jar.
Bearded Mando #018

MAJIC Member #116

Kilted Mandalorian #009

Only a Mandalorian can make his girl a gun, and get appreciated for it.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2012, 12:30 PM »
I like the new direction; as much as the old bag looks nice, it didn't really scream 'commo' to me. Might be worth considering cutting a few small holes in the lunch boxes and installing a few status lights or some such, along with some obvious jacks and data-ports.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:23 PM »
Put in a little more work today:

Wiring's not completed yet, but the three colored switches will light up when "on", red switch controls the lights on the antennae. I think the big box needs some more knobs on it or something and I still need to figure out how to strap it to myself, but I think it's getting there.

Milori Te'Bell

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Damn those are big antenna's *insert compensation joke here*

Maybe you can get an old green screen (from one of those very old measuring devices) and slap that on? After all, you need to be able to see what frequency you're setting up ;)

Just replace Episode 1 with Weird Al's "The Saga Begins" and a YouTube clip of the Darth Maul fight.  All the story and good bits, none of the Jar Jar.
Bearded Mando #018

MAJIC Member #116

Kilted Mandalorian #009

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:31 PM »
The antennae are only about 2.5-3 feet long including the ends in the large box, the pack is just small.

Milori Te'Bell

« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Ah ok. As for mounting, if you plan on always using this pack, I'd suggest cutting slots in your backplate and hanging the pack on with clasps of some sort.

Bearded Mando #018

MAJIC Member #116

Kilted Mandalorian #009

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2012, 12:48 AM »
If the pack is small and light, have you considered bolting it directly to your backplate? I know that's what Stormtrooperguy did with his Viszla jetpack and it works pretty well. Of course, the jp is light  (mostly vac-formed with resin tank toppers, rocket and propulsion cones) so it'll depend how heavy your comm-pack is.

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2012, 12:59 AM »
Chro's back plate is too epic to cover up.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2012, 09:28 AM »
Chro's back plate is too epic to cover up.
I like to think so. One option is that my backplate is in two segments, a smaller one covering the small of my back layered under the larger main plate. I might be able to bolt it to the small plate with maybe a strap or two to my shoulders for stability.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2012, 09:36 AM »
In that case, should be easy enough to run the straps right up under the larger upper plate. You might even be able to get away with using quick-release buckles or snaps at the top of your back rather than having straps that go all the way up over your shoulders and back down to the pack.

Coder

« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Omg idea rush!!!! So here goes. I got this from a combination of my work and your lunch boxes!

Working. Data. Pad. + realistic looking comm gear inside.  8)

I have a spare laptop and you sir have inspired me to use it. Checkit. So frame the inside of a box kinda like the hard drive area of a tower. Throw in some hds and the battery cell. In the other box wire up the motherboard and video cards. Run cable to the monitor and build a case that looks swarsy just dont forget cooling , power button and ports. Then if you have something running to a gaunt, install the touch pad and/or number pad. This way you could open the pack and it would look like comm equipment inside. I work with old 1960 hardware, AWACS. This would make a great look. And since my guy is a slicer I just may do this myself. If I do I will write some sw to use with it. In mandoa of course. Omg I have to stop here... don't want to give away all my plans, or steal this thread.

Sorry, inspiration got the best of me. :D

This or something similar will make this this scream comm.

Coder.

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Put some work into this lately, three primary upgrades have taken place.

First thing I did was replace the antenna stalks with a couple of extendable antennas. Looks better and I can pack it in my tote now.
Second, thanks to a post Christmas clearance, I got my hands on some cascading LED icicle lights.

Third change was the addition of my new Aker amp in there. The 6 volt runs the lights, and there are holes drilled behind the amp (which actually points towards my back).

Only downside is that I've lost some of my swag storage space  ;)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Nice vod ;) Very Nice

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2016, 08:19 PM »
Did you ever figure out a good way to attach it to your back?
Do you have a separate harness or using your flak vest?

Nishi Ja'tejag

Riye cuyir te tauira be a ori'jate jag.  Ni shi jate jag.  Pirusti, Ni cuy' an staabi!

Armour Planning WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78236.0

Soft Parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=77697.0

WIP Photo Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronsneary/albums/72157717142691673

Backstory: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=196736.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!