Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Haran, the Shistavanen Mando

• 14 Replies

Haran Tracyn

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Haran, the Shistavanen Mando
« on: Oct 19, 2012, 05:58 PM »
First I'd like to thank all those that were involved in discussing this and adding a board for us! Hope to get some good use out of it in the future.

Anyway, my goal is to upgrade the appearance of my current kit to look more like a Shistavanen - wolfman, essentially. I've been slowly gathering materials needed for this, since I think it might be more of a 1.5 build. Most of my kit will probably stay the same but there will be a few changes.
Helmet: Modify/upgrade to accommodate mask, or appear to. This goes back to my original idea of having "ears" on the helmet, seen here (from way back in May).

Arms: Thinking about going to sleeveless, with wolf-like fur in place of sleeves, running directly into werewolf-like gloves. If not sleeveless then no major changes would be made.
Hands: Using werewolf gloves as a base, I'd like to add fingerless gloves over it.
Legs: This is the one that I'm still trying to figure out. I want to get the look of the legs accurate to what they're depicted as, but that's far easier said than done. Then there's getting some kind of flightsuit over that.

That's all I can think of for now, but this will probably be very slow going since I don't have access to most of this when I'm at college.

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Haran, the Shistavanen Mando
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:17 PM »
For the legs, I'd suggest making some kind of triangular foam things to place on your calves and push your flightsuit out. Might also tailor your flightsuit a bit to have it have that look.

Remember, even if you have wolf-arms, you may get hit with the CRLs (if it is going to be an approved kit, and not just a secondary kit). Forearm coverings might end up being needed.

Kane Friax

• De vita discendum, non scholae
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:21 PM »
just a cloth wrap would work for gaunts, right?

you could have tufts of hair poking out between the strips of cloth :laugh:

-Kane

24er!               Candy-Kane

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:24 PM »
I would do arm prosthetics just to eliminate the risk of looking like a "furry" mando  :laugh:

Kane Friax

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:33 PM »
i meant over the prosthetics :laugh: (bad wording on my part :P)

-Kane

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2012, 06:44 PM »
A lot of furry and werewolf costumers use stilts that look like reversed legs, I can't speak for the comfortability, but may be worth looking into. :)

bioshutt

• Haastal Videk M.A. #027
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2012, 07:55 PM »
A lot of furry and werewolf costumers use stilts that look like reversed legs, I can't speak for the comfortability, but may be worth looking into. :)
They are called digigrade stilts and depending on how they are built they can be very comfortable but your knees will be bent the whole time. http://caninehybrid.deviantart.com/ she has a pair that look great for her Raptor costume and they are cool

Adam V. S.
Beskar'gam http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=39139.0
One mind, any weapon
My Dragons

Kane Friax

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2012, 08:04 PM »
those ARE cool!

-Kane

Haran Tracyn

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2012, 08:18 PM »
For the legs, I'd suggest making some kind of triangular foam things to place on your calves and push your flightsuit out. Might also tailor your flightsuit a bit to have it have that look.

Remember, even if you have wolf-arms, you may get hit with the CRLs (if it is going to be an approved kit, and not just a secondary kit). Forearm coverings might end up being needed.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.
I'll talk to the App Team as I go, just to make sure I don't do something only to have it not work out.
They are called digigrade stilts and depending on how they are built they can be very comfortable but your knees will be bent the whole time. http://caninehybrid.deviantart.com/ she has a pair that look great for her Raptor costume and they are cool
I've seen these, and they look awesome, but my problem would be the bent knee. I have a weak left knee, used to play catcher in softball and the constant kneeling/squatting ended up hurting a lot. If I were in those for an extended period of time I might cause myself more damage.
Hopefully I'll have a concept of this done soon, got midterms coming up so planning will slow down.

Kane Friax

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2012, 08:36 PM »
what u'll want to do for that knee is rig a base to rest it on that runs all the way down your shin and connects to the base on a hinge with a spring. i'll try to sketch something for you 8)

-Kane

Edit: original Schematic:

my version for u:

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 08:53 PM by Kane » Logged

Haran Tracyn

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:05 PM »
As much as I appreciate that, I think I'm going to stay away from it just for my own well being. I'd very much like to not do physical therapy three times a week and be on crutches for several months again. :P
But leave it posted! Just in case someone else ever needs it, it's a very good idea for reinforcement.

Kane Friax

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:15 PM »
okey dokey :D

maybe you could try wookiee if u want furry but can't use the stilts...

-Kane

Haran Tracyn

« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:19 PM »
I'm not exactly going for a furry, but just something unique. Shistavanens were supposedly good at being bounty hunters, and if I did a Wookie the response might be "Chewbacca/Boba Fett crossover" from those that don't know much about SW lore. So it'd be a way to make conversation if anyone asks and show that not just humanoids could be Mandos.

Kane Friax

« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:32 PM »
bothan, Klatoonian, nalroni, nelvaanian, and squib are all canine sentient species without the oddly jointed legs :D maybe you could try one of them :D

-Kane

Cando Pax

• Legacy
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:13 AM »
I've seen a particular kind of shoe, that basically keeps you on your toes, but it's pretty comfortable. That's something you could consider. But...I think if you just rig the thighs to have more to them, so it looks like you have more knees.

There is a guy who costumes as Garrus from Mass Effect, he has a particular type of shoe that he says is really comfortable. If you did the extra materical in the front of your thighs, those shoes, and then more in the back of your calf, then I think you really won't have a problem with that.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!