Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sidewalker's Zabrak Horns and Facial Tattoos

• 10 Replies

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Sidewalker's Zabrak Horns and Facial Tattoos
« on: Oct 19, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Hey guys!  I made these horns for a Jedi costume, but they can easily be transferred to a Mando as well.

To start, go to a craft store like Michaels's and get some Sculpy. It's kind of like a bakeable plasticine type material. It comes in a variety of colours. The one I chose is kind of a pale bone colour, though I've seen excellent Zabrak horns with darker colours too.

Break small pieces of Sculpy off the main brick. It help to have a good knife when carving, and perhaps some clay modelling tools if you have them. Start sculpting your horns. Make a variety, but don't make them too big. If the horns are too large, you'll have a hard time keeping them on your head. Also, remember to maintain symmetry of horns. They don't need to be an exact mirror, but they should be a close match. Your horns also shouldn't be perfectly smooth. Use your knife or a tool to give them a grainy or striated texture, like Darth Maul has. For inspiration, try looking at antlers.

Once your horns are sculpted, ensure there's a slight con cavity to the side that will stick to your head. Place them on a baking sheet and bake as per the instructions on the package.

After allowing your horns to dry, paint them using either a dry brush or colour wash technique to give them some added dimension and show off the detail.

When you're ready to put your horns on, shave your head. :D. You can attach the horns using theatrical glue. I use Pro's Aide, which works like rubber cement.

Facial Tattoo tutorial to be added.

Sidewalker
Hett'ciri Clan Ruus’alor Sol’yc

Kane Friax

• De vita discendum, non scholae
Re: Sidewalker's Zabrak Horns and Facial Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2012, 11:08 PM »
 :o that's SICK vod! (contemplating zabrak mando now :laugh:)

-Kane

24er!               Candy-Kane

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Legends of Mandalore Brigade Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2012, 07:14 AM »
Looking good!!

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2012, 11:30 AM »
How would zabrak horns break off? Gave me an idea for trophies  :laugh:
This is great! I like the facial tattoos, can't wait to see how you did them.

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

How would zabrak horns break off? Gave me an idea for trophies  :laugh:
This is great! I like the facial tattoos, can't wait to see how you did them.

Break off costuming wise, when the bond between skin and horn fails, likely due to sweat.
In universe, if they broke off in a fight or something, I would think the inside would either be pretty solid, perhaps having growth rings, if you think of them as being keratinous horns. If you think of them as more bony protrusions, I'd expect them to look more like marrow on the inside.

Sidewalker

Kel Toi

• The Kilted Mando!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2012, 08:37 PM »
Just the stuff im lookin for, could you point out the right stuff from this link UK mate ?

http://www.craftmill.co.uk/sculpey-polymer-clays

Many thanks!

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2012, 01:04 AM »
Growth ring idea makes more sense. Thanks! It wanted the in universe answer for a trophy idea i have planned  :laugh:

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2012, 10:32 AM »

Sidewalker

Drake

• OM #0047 ¦ BVC ¦ Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2013, 02:44 AM »
How have I not seen this before? You did a very nice job on sculpting those horns. I'm currently trying to modify a helmet so that the horns poke through as if wearing the helmet, and I'm pleased to see other Zabrak Mandos out there. :)

[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90
Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/

Kane Friax

• De vita discendum, non scholae
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:05 AM »
i'm pretty sure i referred you here before drake :laugh:

-Kane

24er!               Candy-Kane

Drake

• OM #0047 ¦ BVC ¦ Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2013, 03:32 PM »
i'm pretty sure i referred you here before drake :laugh:

-Kane

I thought it was a joke. lol

[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90
Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!