Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Anyone know about scales?

• 5 Replies

Than'del Coret

• Ner vode ja'hailir - My brother's keeper
Anyone know about scales?
« on: Oct 19, 2012, 10:51 PM »
So I am hoping to do a canon Bossk for my next BIG build after my mando kit and I was wondering if anybody has done anything that would resemble scales. If the 501st gets too nit-picky I was thinking of just building a Trandoshan mando. Thought?

No matter how great of a warrior you are, eventually, everyone needs saving.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Biohazard

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Anyone know about scales?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2012, 03:25 PM »
I've seen them done a few ways. The most popular are:

1) Actual scales cut out and/or formed in silicone

2) solid tubes with the pattern printed on

Solid tubes would likely be easier and less apt to break. I believe that's how Bossk's arms were done originally as well.

Grimmjack

• I didn't do it.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2012, 02:11 PM »
If you are sculpting your pieces then pulling from molds to make your final appliances, press on finger nails make excellent scails.  Though Bossk  is less the layered scale look (like snakes) and more the pebbled skin look (like say an iguana).  I know that the appliances used on Rebecca Romijn were latex foam pored into a flat mold then applied in pieces.

Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

Einn_Karel

• its about the 00100100
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2012, 12:25 AM »
one trick Ive heard bounced around on other hobbies to give a scaled look is to paint your base coat, the stretch fishnet material over whatever you are painting, then spraying your top coat at a slight angle. seen it done with moderate success on a hockey helmet (ridges make it difficult) but it did come out surprisingly well. not sure if it would be best for this application, but i figured it couldn't hurt to offer another idea.

Einn Kar'el- Zabrak Mandalorian
Mandalorian Riders #0006
MAD #038

"I'm a Pacifist"
"You're a Mandalorian..."
"Would you start a fight with me?"
"No..."
"See? I'm a force for peace."

Vhitanai Shocye

• Yustapir Clan
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Would the fishnet be pulled off after the paint dries or left on? I've wanted to have a scale pattern on my armor for a while but never knew how to get it. This sounds like a great idea.

Garik Evnairis

• TR-8893
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2013, 10:13 PM »
You would pull of the fishnet once you've sprayed the paint.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-spray-paint-snake-skin-scales-on-anything/ as an example.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!