Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scars? Any good scar makeup tricks

• 12 Replies
Scars? Any good scar makeup tricks
« on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:48 AM »
I've been working on my mando and have decided I want him to have some facial scars. Now whether or not I actualy put them on when wearing my kit is another question.

So, does anyone now how to make realistic looking scars, easily? (without getting real ones  ;) )

Thanks for any imput.
CHEERS!

Kalyn Solari

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: Scars? Any good scar makeup tricks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Use eye lash glue, let it sit for a bit until its a little tacky but not wet. Then roll the patch patting it down a little, gotta keep it rounded but not too much so. Here's a link to the video that taught me. It's pretty good  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNjAFOW1uoo

Better to just show ya.   :laugh:

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Being that I'd like to still the sell the costume with my helmet off. This is what I'm planning to use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KV04XK/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0089XEEKC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DFN2DBEV6J3GRXWWH3V

Man those links are long.. anyways its called rigid collidion. Make sure to look up tutorials on YouTube, this stuff looks great when done right.
Actually, here's one.

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2012, 12:28 PM by Karvas Dral » Logged

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2012, 01:17 PM »
Yep...been using the rigid collodion for several years now. Just paint it on with a thin brush (thinner the better) and layer it until you get the depth you want. One thing to remember, though. This product will cause chemical burns if you put too much in sensitive areas (the soft skin under the eyes is pretty bad for getting burned) or if you re-apply the scar material to the same place multiple days in a row. If you want a scar for a couple of days, best to just leave it on or move it slightly each day. The skin will remain "tender" after removing the material (any medical adhesive remover works great...I use Telesis Super-Solve), so it can leave a nasty burn if you apply it to the same spot a few days in a row.

Most of the stuff is clear. I suggest using the clear rather than the colored. This lets you do the colors to suit you. My favorite color for scars is to use the clear, let it dry, then rub over it with a little red lip gloss (the liquid stuff you have to squeeze out). It doesn't take much and if you rub it on smoothly and thinly, it gives a slight pink tint to the scar to make it seem more real.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to check these out when I have a faster conection. (got dial-up, no biggy) But I'm shure they will be helpful.

I've seen some scarstuff (holoween mostlikely) that was a sticker kinda thing, it was made out of silicon or something and you put it on with coustuming adhesive (don't remember what it's called or where I saw it)
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Allfather

• Reconciler
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2012, 04:05 PM »
Yeah...probably some slip latex appliances. They can make good wounds, but they will always be raised instead of having the indented scar look. I know the pics on the packaging looks really cool. But, unless you have access to some thicker latex (like RD-407) or some foamed pros-aide (a new version of the old stand-by appliance adhesive that actually fills cracks and seams) to blend the edges, those usually look pretty tacky.

But this comes from a guy that loves doing those kind of effects and has been messing around with the stuff for over 20 years. So I tend to get a little picky with my materials (when I have the cash). Your best bet is still for the rigid collodion, though. Don't really need to even watch a video on how to use it as it is about the most simple stuff ever for scars. Paint it on, let it dry, add another coat if you think you want the scar deeper. And remember that the scars will only go so deep. They go really nice and deep on the cheeks and "fatty" parts while they don't go quite so deep on the forehead. Also, the stuff does not flex well, so try and avoid doing diagonals through the bridge of the nose between your eyes. The movement of the face there will cause it to start peeling pretty fast.

"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Oh ok, so avoid those things. Where can I get the rigid collodion stuff?

Allfather

• Reconciler
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Some costume shops sell it (I get mine at the local games and costume shop) and you can find it all over the internet (e-bay and such).

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:48 PM »
I linked you to it on amazon in my previous post.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2012, 10:11 AM »
(face palm) Duh! Why didn't I think of that sooner.  :-[  Well thanks, that was embaresing.

Talev

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2012, 12:49 PM »
If you do not want to use collidion for the mentioned reasons or want more bulgy scars, I can recommend "Tuplast" (made by Kryolan, they make high quality theater make up and special effects), example to be seen here (might be considered graphic). It's mostly available in clear, but there are also some skin tones. I prefer to use the clear one and add a bit of red tones before applying.
Most people I know preferred it over mastix (eyelash glue), because you simply peal it off after you're done with it.

And there's some kind of wax, that you need to apply with mastix.. that's great for open wounds but very vulnerable to touch and heat.

If you want burn scars, there's "Gelafix" (also by Kryolan): example (again, graphic content)

I prefer those products to collodion after burning my hand with it (I did not know how to use it).. the whole skin was cracked, really dry and it hurt like hell to get if off. Now I know better ;).

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 11:32 PM »
I know, necropost.
 :rolleyes:

Anyways.... Does anyone know how to accentuate a scar you have for real?  Have 3 by my eye, and would go a ways in selling the character.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 11:43 PM »
I know, necropost.
 :rolleyes:

Which is against the forum rules, so please don't. Please start a new thread to ask a question instead of resurrecting a thread from 2012.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!