Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jango Fett in the works.

• 54 Replies

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Jango Fett in the works.
« on: Nov 16, 2012, 11:36 PM »
Figured I would start a thread here for my Jango build as over the next couple of weeks or so I am planning on doing a complete teardown, overhaul and rebuild of the costume with the intention of bringing it up to spec for 501st and mercs approval.
Here is where it is at currently

A brief overview of how I scratchbuilt everything so far;
The plates are made from expanded PVC foamboard (sintra) and shaped with a heat gun

The v1 gauntlets were made from modified Boba Fett pep file

They ended up being small on me to begin with and then I quickly outgrew them, so I rebuilt larger ones with a different set of templates using 1mm card. This pic shows a comparison of the new and old

The jetpack was a cardboard base, which I then fiberglassed for strength and used automotive body filler to smooth and detail. Some of the internal cavities were filled with expanding foam.

The helmet was a reject cast given to me by a friend. Much of it was extremely thin and brittle so needed to be reinforced, as well as being warped, and having a lumpy dome. It also needed to be modified as it was a Boba helmet rather than Jango.
How it looked when i got it;

Part way through reworking it;

Painted, ready for final detailling and weathering;

Over the next couple of weeks I want to;
  • Sand and repaint all the plates
  • Make darts around the outside of the thighs to give them more compound curvature
  • Make new leather holsters
  • Reshape backplate
  • Reposition chest plates to make spacing more accurate
  • Add dart launchers to knees
  • Finish adding all the details to the gauntlets, and reinforce where neccesary
  • Tailor flightsuit to fit better so there is less excess fabric around my legs and arms
  • Add padding the jetpack harness to make it more comfortable to wear for extended periods
  • Rebuild codpiece to fit better, be lighter and more accurate

I think that is about it for now. Stay tuned for progress soon.

Jimmy BufFETT

• Yes ... I escaped.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Jango Fett in the works.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2012, 12:01 AM »
I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing this progress!  Let me know if you have any questions along the way. ;)

- Scott Chana

Dar'manda

• Official Membership revoked, see signature.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2012, 12:03 AM »
Great pic =D

Good luck on the rest of your build!

This member has been permanently removed from the club by Dar'manda for violations of the Mandalorian Mercs By-Laws.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2012, 12:20 AM »
Jimmy, thanks, will do.
Lucas, cheers. Yea it is an awesome pic isn't it!

Karvas Dral

• Poodoo.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2012, 07:52 AM »
Can't wait. Do you have a build thread or something for that arena pack? Its so sharp!

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2012, 02:33 PM »
Karvas, no I don't have a build thread for the JP specifically. TBH though, it could have been made a lot better, accuracy-wise and durability-wise, mainly just due to my skill level at the time. Because of this I will probably rebuild it at some point in the future to a much higher standard. When that happens I'll be sure to post up a WIP for it :D

Remo Jadd

• Vok'Chi Warmaster
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2012, 12:49 PM »
Nice build so far. Don't forget the dome vent on the bottom of the Arena pack ;) .

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:11 PM »
Looking sharp. What are you using for Westars?

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Mullreel

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:57 PM »
I will watch this thread as well, and I would be happy to assist with advice along the way.  The scratch build jet pack is nice.

All I ever wanted to do was to travel to far off exotic places and meet new and exciting people.........and then kill them.  So I became a mercenary, and I love what I do.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2012, 02:32 AM »
This is a great kit. Hope we get some updates of the upgrades soon.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2012, 04:45 AM »
So I've been busy working away at this when I can and it's coming along well. The changes I've been making are making a huge difference IMHO and I couldn't be happier with them.

I stripped the paint off of all the plates as it was chipping away around the edges. I then altered those plates that I felt needed it (thighs, shins and backplate). For the thighs and backplate I felt they needed more compound curvature so cut some darts into them and used a heat gun to shape them more to my liking. Where the darts were cut was then reinforced with fiberglass, and bog was used to conceal the cuts.

These were then wet sanded along with the rest of the plates and rub'n'buffed with silver leaf.

If you compare the shape of the shins now to the second pic in my first post you can see they are more contoured and less blocky than originally.

I also decided to alter the codpiece. The original was weighty as the lower part was almost entirely built out of bog, and didn't sit as well as it could when I was wearing it. You can see here how it was solid.

I decided to remove the lower part and rebuild it using car and fiberglass. This allowed me to create a more accurately shaped cup.

This needs a tiny bit more work before it is ready to be rub'n'buffed.

While the v.2 gauntlets were far better than the v.1 I was still not completely happy with them. To this end I decided to bite the bullet and rebuild new, stronger and more accurate ones, rather than attempting to patch up and improve the v.2s.
While the construction method is similar, more modifications have been made this time around to improve the accuracy and by removing the glossy outer layer of the card, the resin is able to soak in making them stronger.
There is still a bit of work to do smoothing them out and detailling, but they are coming along well.

Lastly for now;
Nice build so far. Don't forget the dome vent on the bottom of the Arena pack ;) .
Nope hadn't forgotten :D Just didn't have time to do it when I originally did the JP.

Still need to tidy up the base shape, and cut the slots but you get the idea :D

Looking sharp. What are you using for Westars?
Currently I have modified Rubies, but intend to change that at some point in the future. I bogged up the seams and added some lead weights to the handle and barrel to make it feel a bit less like a kids toy when I give it to someone.

I will watch this thread as well, and I would be happy to assist with advice along the way.  The scratch build jet pack is nice.
Thanks Mullreel, I'll be sure to do that. Your Jango is really nice, and it's kits like yours and Seekers, that keep me inspired :D

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2012, 05:06 AM »
I am beyond impressed with those thighs.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2012, 05:10 AM »
They are probably the part I am most pleased with so far, in terms of the difference before I started the overhaul and now :D

Byrek Avery

• I hunt the Bigger Fish.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:08 AM »
I am beyond impressed with those thighs.

I second this. I thought they weren't going to come out great due to the darts. Haha.

And what is bog? You keep mentioning it.

Designed by Haran Tracyn

Mercaholic: #52 24hr Member
Official Member #668
Byrek Avery's WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=47081.0

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Bondo pretty much. Just not "bondo" brand. Differs from country to country and place to place. "Car body filler" is a generic term.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2012, 02:43 PM »
Yea, sorry, bog is just the slang I use as bondo isn't available down here in NZ :D

Jimmy BufFETT

• Yes ... I escaped.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Excellent job with shaping the armor!  I've never seen anybody use that technique before.  Regarding the Rub N Buff, it looks to be slightly unevenly distributed amongst the thighs ... or it simply could be the camera flash and the coloring is fine.  Anyway, if you find there are dull silver streaks left behind or you want the armor to have more luster, all you need to do is apply more pressure and build up more heat when buffing.  Also, as awkward is this sounds, reduce the amount of R&B used per armor plate.  A little R&B goes a long way in this case!

- Scott Chana

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2012, 11:21 PM »
Thanks Jimmy :D
The Rub'n'Buff does appear a little streaky around the outer edge of the thigh plates, but the photo accentuates it. Once weathered it should more or less be concealed. I think it is because of the different material qualities/ density/ texture of the plastic and bog underneath the Rubb'n'Buff.
As far as using too much Rubb'n'Buff, I've been starting with a very small amount and buffing that, then adding a little bit more in any spots that didn't quite have total coverage :)
One thing I have been having issues with is when the Rubb'n'Buff gets too hot (atleast I think this is what is causing it) and is creates these funny rippled texture in the Rub'n'Buff. I'll try and get a decent picture of it tonight.

Jimmy BufFETT

• Yes ... I escaped.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:21 AM »
One thing you can try (if you haven't already) is multiple coats of spray primer.  Give each coat plenty of time to dry and dry sand each one after it dries.  Wet sand the final coat with 800-grit.  That should give you a smooth enough surface to work with.

- Scott Chana

Mullreel

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:37 AM »
One thing you can try (if you haven't already) is multiple coats of spray primer.  Give each coat plenty of time to dry and dry sand each one after it dries.  Wet sand the final coat with 800-grit.  That should give you a smooth enough surface to work with.

this is the basic technique I use for a R+B base.

All I ever wanted to do was to travel to far off exotic places and meet new and exciting people.........and then kill them.  So I became a mercenary, and I love what I do.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2012, 04:07 PM »
Retrospectively that probably would have helped. I have been wet sanding the plates up to 800 grit, it's just because the bog is more porous than the plastic that I've gotten that streaky effect. I think next time I redo the plates I will probably do that but for now I'm happy with the result. Like I said, the photo accentuated the streakyness and hopefully the weathering will conceal it somewhat.

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:13 AM »
Just wanted to pop in here while you're planning your updates so I can see how this improves!  Looks great so far, vod!

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:45 PM »
Thanks Novoc. I've got some other stuff done, but dont have photos of it yet but today I did some work reinforcing the jetpack in places it was starting to show wear and tear.  The points where the thruster cones attach were starting to break so I reinforced them internally and started concealing the join as well as fixing where some bog had chipped off on the corner.

Because of the way I originally constructed it, there were some cavities within the JP that weren't very robust, so to make them stronger I drilled holes, through which I poured casting resin. I then taped over the holes, and effectively slush cast the resin around in order to reinforce the cavities internally.

I also cut the slots into the exhaust port but don't have pics of that yet.

Hopefully I'll get around to taking pics of the rest of my progress tomorrow or the next day.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2013, 04:07 AM »
I've been making some more progress on this recently.
The jetpack got left in the sun for a long time the other day, and developed some rippling on some of the surfaces for some reason. This has almost been fully rectified, and the repairs to areas showing damage are nearly complete.

The exhaust port for the bottom of the jetpack is nearly done. A little more clean up and assembly are all that remain.

The gauntlets are nearly complete as well. The detail lines have been made to the right gaunt as you can see in the pic, and I am starting to instal the darts and switches on the gauntlets now.

That's it for now. Hopefully more soon.

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:42 AM »
MAN this is a sweet build...!!!  ;)

LOVE the thigh plates, that's exactly how I'm gonna mine!!! Thanks for sharing!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!