Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How to make Fett-style gloves (budget version)

• 12 Replies

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
How to make Fett-style gloves (budget version)
« on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Boba's gloves are awesome but can be daunting to make from scratch.
Not good at sewing? You don't have to be. There's very little sewing in what I'm about to show you.

Materials:

I bought some $3 gloves at my local party city. There's a couple sizes, make sure you get the right one. You can eyeball it by putting your hand up to the glove in the packaging. Make sure the bottom of the glove goes down to your wrist.

Make sure you also have white fabric for the finger and hand patches. I'm not positive what the screen accurate material for this is.
For dye I bought RIT "Pearl Grey"

You're also going to want to get fabric glue. I picked up a pack of 3 glues at Michaels. Make sure it has regular fabric glue (for the patches) and stretch fabric glue for attaching the patches to the glove.

Construction:

First, make your patches. WOF glove templates are HERE. Cut out the patches and size them on your gloves before you cut your fabric. I had to cut the templates down quite a bit. Use reference photos for proper placement and size.
Now dye your gloves. I used 2.5 tablespoons of powder dye in about 6-7 cups of hot water.

While your gloves are drying, start making your patches. Once you've got your patches cut out (Make sure to give yourself about 1/4"-1/2" of extra fabric when you cut!) make the lines on the hand patches. There are four stitched lines running down each patch. Measure so there's an equal distance between each line, draw a light line with your pencil and then stitch over that line.

Next, cut notches on the curved areas of the patches. This makes it possible to keep the curved shape once you start making your hem. Now put the regular fabric glue on each "flap" and fold it over. This is our hem.

While that's drying, make the wrist portion of your gloves. Make 2 rectangles of fabric. One is going to be 5"x2.5" and the other is going to be 6"x2.5". Cut the longer one in half so you now have 2 3"x2.5" sections. Sew it together so the 3" sections are on the outside of the 5" section. Like this:

Now sew that onto the wrist of your glove so that the opening is on the palm side. Like this:

Once your patches are ready, cover the back of them in the stretch fabric glue and press them onto the glove. I let them dry with a heavy book over them for about an hour. The fingers got stuck shut after an hour so I had to take them out and put them on and then hang dry them.
Boom. You did it, congratulations 8)

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013, 03:37 PM by Ref Al'drann » Logged

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: How to make Fett gloves (budget version)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2013, 11:01 PM »
Nice as always Ref.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:10 AM »
I don't see why not. I'd use leather glue though.

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Those look great!

IG  -  @suzylamoureuxdrums

Peregrinus

• Ven'cuyi o'r ni'havlaam... >_>
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:28 PM »
A couple of things. These are the gray cotton snap-cuff parade gloves used for Boba's costume in ESB. No dyeing required. :) The patches are the same "Grayish" (that's the name of the color) poly-pro twill used for his flak vest and flight suit collar. The bad news is the only place I know that sells it sells it in five-yard roll minimums. The good news is that I got a five-yard roll for my flak vest and have most of that left over. If anyone wants sufficient for the glove patches, I'm happy to donate.

--Jonah

MABEL #008

WIP "clearing house" posts:
Protector-themed v0.5 kit

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Ref Al'drann

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Thanks Jonah! Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade. Think you can shoot some of that twill my way?

Peregrinus

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:36 AM »
PM me your address and I'll get a sizable swatch off to you in the next day or so. :)

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Ref Al'drann

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:02 AM »
You have a PM! Thank you!

Peregrinus

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:56 AM »
You have a reply. You're welcome. ;D

--Jonah

MABEL #008

Plus, guns:
Custom Westar-34
Merr-Sonn

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 AM »
Ref, this is a great tutorial... but many of your images aren't showing up.   :(

Ref Al'drann

« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:05 AM »
Whoops! Should be fixed now.

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
Re: How to make Fett-style gloves (budget version)
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Yep!

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: How to make Fett-style gloves (budget version)
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2013, 03:35 PM »
gunna use this to see how it turns out for a friend of mine's set. i'll be pming you back here shortly Ref.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!