Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vult Tavik's Jango Fett (Pic Heavy)- COMPLETE!

• 83 Replies

Tempest

• The Villain
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Vult Tavik's Jango Fett (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:42 PM »
That is one handsome Jango bucket, vod. o_o

Zyras "Tempest" Marek/Tobi Ryn.
New build: Legacy - WIP.

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:52 PM »
I think your colours are spot on, but I'm a little concerned about the wonkyness of the cheek curve paint there, where it meets the silver. The line looks rather uneven.

Granted I've not looked at references in a while, maybe the original does this too ;)

I love those MR's.

Vult Tavik

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Boba and Jango
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2013, 01:16 PM »
 POO- you are spot on with that and I still have some touch-up I need to do on it, I was just waiting until I get to the weathering stage (this weekend) and I will be finishing it off with a paint brush.

Thanks!

That is one handsome Jango bucket, vod. o_o

Thank you Tempest

Tact Kor

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Deadly Alliance is the award for the most badass group pic. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Extremely nice,  8)

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan

M.T.S. #022 - Mando Up

M.A. #089 - The first step is admitting it

Vult Tavik

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Boba and Jango
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:35 PM »
I had my daughter help me take some pre-app pics tonight:

My chest armor bunched up a little so I may have to adjust them. It definitely looks different off, lol.

So this is what I still have left to do:

- padding in helmet

- my chest plates bunched up a bit on me so I need to move them further out

- I have to cut off the extra nylon strapping from the harness now that I know what I need to use

- my harness straps we're not even in the back so my jet pack was crooked

- knee's could use a little velcro to keep them in place, they slid down a little

- could maybe trim an inch off the back armor, can't tell if it was hitting the girth in back or not

Pesh 'katar

• Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:37 PM »
Looks awesome, Vult! Can't wait to see it in person!

OM #0885

BLUE MOON CLAN Official Member #11

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:02 PM »
 :o   8)  :D  ;)

Wow.  Impressive.  I wish I was as cool as you.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:39 PM »
Looks wicked man. Like you say the chest plates are all bunched up, but it also looks like the shoulder bells are sitting funny to me, and the jet pack is hanging crooked. Looks like you are going to beat me to getting your Jango approved though... Not that it's a race :D

Vult Tavik

« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:27 AM »
Looks wicked man. Like you say the chest plates are all bunched up, but it also looks like the shoulder bells are sitting funny to me, and the jet pack is hanging crooked. Looks like you are going to beat me to getting your Jango approved though... Not that it's a race :D

The jetpack is definitely crooked. I tightened up one of the straps to see how high I could get it and forgot to do the other. For some reason my daughter didn't notice it, lol.

As for the shoulders, there is not much I can do about that, but it doesn't seem too off to me. I am a good bit bigger than Tem, so I had to get a bigger helmet & armor.

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Well bud, I think the things that need to be addressed have all been pointed out.

This is a great kit.

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Yea, looking at those two pics I think it just that little bit of bunching on the vest at the top of the bells that is making them look not quite right. I know what you mean about being bigger than Tem making it difficult to get things looking just right :)
Are you going to purplify your flightsuit at all, or leave it blue?

Also lol at the photoshop fail on the right gaunt of that reference pic :D

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Looking good vod ;D

your shins look a bit high ;) and maybe your trousers are a little bit baggy ??

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Vult Tavik

« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:18 PM »
Are you going to purplify your flightsuit at all, or leave it blue?

Purplify at all?  :'( :'( :'(

Dude, I've been through 4 bottles of purple, 4 bottles of Denim Blue dye and 1/2 gallon of bleach trying to get it just right.... it's been the most frustrating part of this entire build. Perhaps its the material the flights suit is made out of, but it isn't easy to get it right. It won't bleach evenly so I have to go back and dye it again until the "spots" go away. And yes- I did mix it in the washer first and yes I added the flightsuit wet, lol. I'm not trying to sound negative, it's just that I've had a lot of great advice on this and tried it all. My only problem is that I didn't wait a year for a LSFU or BM jumpsuit. I got a budget suit from Bleahhh on TDH. I do have that on my list of upgrades though  :laugh:

I will re-space the plates, reshoot my photo's and get it Official. Then as you know, it's all about constantly upgrading  ;D

Thanks for commenting vode!

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:34 PM »
...it's been the most frustrating part of this entire build.
Haha, I'm right there with you bro! I've finally got mine to a point where I am reasonably happy with how it looks in person (faded blue, with a hint of purple), but as soon as I take a pic it just looks blue again. Grrrr.... Still tossing up whether to give mine another wash of purple to make it stand out more, but am just worried that will make it too dark >:( Understandable about not wanting to wait so long for a LSFU or BM one though...

Vult Tavik

« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Haha, I'm right there with you bro! I've finally got mine to a point where I am reasonably happy with how it looks in person (faded blue, with a hint of purple), but as soon as I take a pic it just looks blue again. Grrrr.... Still tossing up whether to give mine another wash of purple to make it stand out more, but am just worried that will make it too dark >:( Understandable about not wanting to wait so long for a LSFU or BM one though...

And that's the truth of it too. It looks different in person than it does in pictures. I can't wait for the weather to get better to see if it makes a difference outside or not.

Demar Falco

• What doesnt kill me...better start running
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Beastmaster Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:08 PM »
That is much better plate separation. It was the only thing I could see wrong and you got it.

BobaFiend

• "Put Captain Cargo in the Solo Hold"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Boba and Jango Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:15 PM »
This kit is looking excellent! A few nit picks:

It seems the shins should go down a bit. They looks to be clacking with the knees.
Your jetpack looks very clean everywhere but the white. Perhaps the flash washed it out or perhaps it needs more blackwash.
The thrusters on your jetpack are askew. It's hard to tell from this distance, but if you have a MOW pack there is a PVC pipe assembly that needs to go inside the pack. 

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:28 PM »
Looks much better man! The ab plate looks slightly crooked though... In regards to the shins, while they could perhaps go down a smidge, I don't think they need to much. In the front-on shot they look too high (I'm guessing this is due to lens distortion) but when you look at the sides they look like there is enough space that they don't hit the knees.

Also, while it was a good idea, putting the snap on the boot to hold the leg of the flightsuit down, it just looks strange to me, the way it is getting pulled under like that. Perhaps if you added a strap that was connected on the inside of the leg behind the shins, and that connected to the snap on the boot. That way the legs would still be getting held down, but the leg hem would be able to sit over the boot armour like it is supposed to and you wouldn't get that pulling showing.

Vult Tavik

« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:13 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys.   :D

Ab plate:
One of the bolts inside may have caught on the jetpack harness? It looks straight off body and I have 3 layers here so I will have to keep an eye on that.

Shin:
To lower the shins really means cutting and sewing new button holes and I don't think that is the problem as much as the knees coming down a little after walking up 2 flights of stairs in kit. I asked my wife to check them before she started to take the pictures and she said they were fine. Then she proceeded to stand on top of our bed and take pictures kind of at a downward angle that made them look closer together than they may actually be (as you can tell from the side).

Jetpack:
I am aware of the PVC pipe assembly as one of at least 3 methods used to retain the thrusters: The reason I didn't go with that is that they become "permanently" attached. There are 2 other methods- build up sockets and use magnets, or hooks and an elastic band between the two. I chose the latter, but it is probably not the best. I may re-think it, but I stop short of attaching them permenently for the sake of transport. As for it being dirty- it must be the flash- here are some close ups from Monday night

Vult Tavik

« Reply #45 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:18 AM »
but the leg hem would be able to sit over the boot armour like it is supposed to

Check again Vod, it definitely does not do that:

BobaFiend

• "Put Captain Cargo in the Solo Hold"
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Boba and Jango Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:03 AM »
I have the same pack, and I used the PVC assembly and then was able to wrap the thruster insert once around with painters tape and it now fits snugly in the PVC fitting. It won't come out by accident and I can still break it down to transport it.

I realize that Jango shin mounting is a pain, but I really feel it's problematic as well, leading to the flightsuit cuffs appearing strange. If you look at the ref image you posted, the boot and shin armor fit very closely with minimal separation, almost like a joint.  You have at least 1-2" of a gap there. 

Tracyn Ordo

• THE NZ Bounty Hunter
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:52 PM »
Check again Vod, it definitely does not do that:
Hmmm... Not sure why I thought it did that, just looked at all my other ref pics and you are right. My bad :)

Vult Tavik

« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2013, 03:32 PM »
Hmmm, I may try that with the PVC assembly then if you don't have to permamently glue them- thanks for the tip!

I realize that Jango shin mounting is a pain, but I really feel it's problematic as well, leading to the flightsuit cuffs appearing strange. If you look at the ref image you posted, the boot and shin armor fit very closely with minimal separation, almost like a joint.  You have at least 1-2" of a gap there.

True, in that pre-production action shot it is a lot closer. I can't find any screen caps from the movie that show it clearly and all the reference photo's on TDH show the spacing differrently:
ex:

There are a lot of images that have that gap

Vult Tavik

« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Here is another example and one of my fav Jango's-> our very own Mullreel:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!